Author Topic: MK3 Speaker Problem  (Read 2749 times)

Offline iball

• Not said much yet
  • 1995 Mk3 16v
MK3 Speaker Problem
« on: 04 February 2004, 07:05 »
Hi everyone,

I've got a 3 door MK3 16v and one of the rear speakers would appear to be knackered. I'm going to have a look at it over the weekend to confirm but if it is in need of replacing does anyone know if it would be possible to buy new speakers for the front doors and put one of the fornt speakers into the rear housing. Are they the same size? I can't really afford to replace all of them at the moment.

Can anyone tell me what size speakers are in the front and in the rear? What about the speakers in the dash? The rears have a set of tweeters as well, is this all that is in the dash up front under the grills?

What speakers would you guys recommend? I'm a bit strapped for cash at the moment so nothing too pricey, but again I don't want cheap cr@p!

Thanks

EDIT: How do you get to the rear speakers, is it a case of taking the whole of the trim off?
« Last Edit: 04 February 2004, 07:07 by iball »

Omar

Re:MK3 Speaker Problem
« Reply #1 on: 04 February 2004, 12:28 »
yeah, the 4 original speakers are the same size. You can just prise the speaker grill off and have a look, easy........you'll be shocked at how crappy they are. Think the size is 16cm?? I'm sure one of the boys will confirm that.

Ive replaced all mine with a decent set of Alpines all round, cant remember the model code for em, also worth replacing the standard Sony headunit too. MP3 player if poss.

The tweaters are bit of a pain to replace, you might want to look back at previous pages for suggestions on that.

Good place for stuff here..

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
  • Make friends with your fast
« Reply #2 on: 04 February 2004, 12:36 »
Both front and rear speakers are 17cm (6 1/2in)
to remove the rear ones I think you'll have to remove the trim too. Not sure on the mk3.
To access the dash tweaters just prize off the grill. the old ones pull out.
If you've got ?99 to spare I can reconmend Alpine's TypeR speakers. They have 200w power handling and separate tweaters. Mount the tweaters in the original dash holes. (see pic). They sound really nice and balanced there in mine.

« Last Edit: 04 February 2004, 12:36 by Dizzie »
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline iball

• Not said much yet
  • 1995 Mk3 16v
« Reply #3 on: 04 February 2004, 16:30 »
Heard good things about these Alpine Type R's may well be able to stretch to a couple of sets of them to replace front and rear. Will have a look at the speakers tonight maybe as my new head unit turned up today. Got a feeling it will destoy the original speakers but will have to wait and see.

Thanks for your help guys it's much appreciated!

Offline davidhawkins_78

• I live here
  • Valver Bad Boy
« Reply #4 on: 05 February 2004, 08:56 »
Dinky - those tweeters seem to have a nice mount - those fitted in your Mk2 ?

How'd you get your hands on them or are they a specific mod for a Mk2?

'89 Monza Blue Valver
to quote a VW engineer, "the Mk1 was the prototype, the Mk2, the real thing!"

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
  • Make friends with your fast
« Reply #5 on: 05 February 2004, 12:50 »
Dinky? Do you mean Dizzie?

Those are the tweaters for the TypeR's mounted in the original mk3 dash position. I had to enlarge the hole to get the flush mount in there. it's a tight fit, but at least they don't rattle or pop out.

btw, that's a mk3 dash ;D
Mk4 Golf 150PD