Author Topic: popping  (Read 4543 times)

Offline 92Mk2Gti

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 94
Re: popping
« Reply #20 on: 17 May 2006, 13:09 »
Reading this post has got me wondering now, my 91 8v pops a fair bit when its on over run going down a hill or going down through the box to slow down ?

mine does this too and i love it!   :cool:

1992(J) Golf GTI 8v Gone but still in the family

2003(53) Golf GTI 180

Offline Mk1Mad J - 16v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,382
  • At my age I don't have to act responsibly...
Re: popping
« Reply #21 on: 17 May 2006, 13:57 »

How does an exhaust leak cause the car to overfuel?

 :grin: Is there anyone out there with a physics degree who can explain this???  :huh: - I dunno mate its just one of those things  :smiley:

"Ever since I started to surf, I have realized that golf is for people who don't know how to surf."  -- Tiger Woods.

my dub project:-
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=35338.0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyEUOoH_xxo

Offline 92Mk2Gti

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 94
Re: popping
« Reply #22 on: 17 May 2006, 15:28 »

How does an exhaust leak cause the car to overfuel?

 :grin: Is there anyone out there with a physics degree who can explain this???  :huh: - I dunno mate its just one of those things  :smiley:

I have a physics degree but can't explain that!

1992(J) Golf GTI 8v Gone but still in the family

2003(53) Golf GTI 180

Veedubgt18v

  • Guest
Re: popping
« Reply #23 on: 17 May 2006, 17:36 »
wait for mr mix to read this he is a bit knowledgeable in those areas...........

mix

  • Guest
Re: popping
« Reply #24 on: 17 May 2006, 17:56 »
wait for mr mix to read this he is a bit knowledgeable in those areas...........

:undecided:

im guessing because there will be a decrease in back pressure which will mess up the fuel injection....and less back pressure will mean that the exhaust is leaving the engine will be at a lower pressure.....

havent got a f**king clue tbh....

Offline Uruk Hai

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,881
Re: popping
« Reply #25 on: 17 May 2006, 18:53 »
That makes me feel better knowing that loads of others do it as well as mine, still didnt pop like my MK1 RS 2000 though  :evil:

Offline sellers

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 840
  • Daz Works in Health and Beauty
Re: popping
« Reply #26 on: 18 May 2006, 01:04 »
isnt it that your making the car less economical by, making the engine working at the same rate using the same amount of fuel but with a lower power out put??

like running round on flat tyres, your gonna use more fuel.


Can't think of a funy or whitty comment

Offline VR6_ROB

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,289
  • Mk2 VR6 / Corrado G60
Re: popping
« Reply #27 on: 18 May 2006, 18:01 »
i put 2 rags in my exhaust today when car was running
it never cut out so exhaust must have hole in somewhere

Offline s3akr

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 44
  • Looking for my 2nd MK2 - 16 valves? Suits you sir!
Re: popping
« Reply #28 on: 18 May 2006, 20:26 »
Mine did it before I changed from std exhaust to the Milltek system and it still does it now. I hate it personally as it makes it sound like there is something wrong with the car! Also, the exhaust is all sealed properly and it is really loud once its warm. When cold it's hugely quieter. I wish I could get to the bottom of the popping and the excessive noise as I do a lot of motorway mileage (about 130 miles) every day.



Current Cars : Leon FR TDi 150 (Revo'd), Pug 406 Hdi 90 (I'm not proud of it)!     Past Cars :- Mini 1000 (x3), Metro (GTi 16v, MG Turbo),  AX GT (x2), Cavalier (1.3, Sri, GSi2000), XR2 (Mk II), R5 GT Turbo (Phase 1, 2xPhase 2),XR3i Cab (x2), Pug 206, Golf (1.8 GLi Cab, V5,1991 MK2 GTi 8 Valve), Accord Type R, MX-5 (phase 2), BMW 3 Series (E30 320i Cab, E36 318iS Coupe, E36 M3 Coupe), Clio (16v, Williams 2), Audi S3(Revo'd)

Offline kittie

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 765
Re: popping
« Reply #29 on: 20 May 2006, 11:22 »
Mine pops when moving down through the gears, I like it  :grin: