Author Topic: popping  (Read 4544 times)

Offline Mk1Mad J - 16v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,382
  • At my age I don't have to act responsibly...
Re: popping
« Reply #10 on: 16 May 2006, 15:48 »
if the "exhaust sealant crud" or "FireGum" does fall out its not sealing the exhaust anyway and beloongs in the bin  :smug:

Is it just when you're booting it? - i think thats a golf thing  :laugh:

"Ever since I started to surf, I have realized that golf is for people who don't know how to surf."  -- Tiger Woods.

my dub project:-
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=35338.0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyEUOoH_xxo

Veedubgt18v

  • Guest
Re: popping
« Reply #11 on: 16 May 2006, 16:08 »
yeah just when im booting it and i know its not really gonna fall out its sealed tight and i put exhaust wrap round my one problematic joint and its peachy now

Offline sellers

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 840
  • Daz Works in Health and Beauty
Re: popping
« Reply #12 on: 16 May 2006, 16:20 »
my mk3 valver pops when u almost hit the limmiter, its got a decat pipe, could that be it?


Can't think of a funy or whitty comment

Offline VR6_ROB

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,289
  • Mk2 VR6 / Corrado G60
Re: popping
« Reply #13 on: 16 May 2006, 17:43 »
mine does it when i aint booting it

exhaust sounds really sh!t and tinny
it aint standard backbox

ill check it tonite see if its blowing
i hope it is i can put my old exhaust on
from my white golf

Hows the vr6 conversion coming on?
as for vr6 conversion things are going pretty slow
at the moment not touched it for a long time
got a few debts to clear so i aint been able to afford
any parts for it

i got new power steering rack in dented chassis leg
had bay blown over so looks clean again

im in decicion on the chain i know it needs a new timing chain
i dunno weather ot get someone to do it while engine aint bolted in

or get it all running and take it somewhere

Offline Uruk Hai

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,881
Re: popping
« Reply #14 on: 16 May 2006, 17:44 »
Reading this post has got me wondering now, my 91 8v pops a fair bit when its on over run going down a hill or going down through the box to slow down ?

Offline baz_the_man62

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 124
Re: popping
« Reply #15 on: 16 May 2006, 21:20 »
i gotta agree with dub_dude... ive got a 1.3 with strait thru system..pops like gunshot.. wake the dead between every gear and everytime i lift off the gas.

Offline Mk1Mad J - 16v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,382
  • At my age I don't have to act responsibly...
Re: popping
« Reply #16 on: 16 May 2006, 21:38 »
Reading this post has got me wondering now, my 91 8v pops a fair bit when its on over run going down a hill or going down through the box to slow down ?

 :drool: I love that sound, that is a golf thing  :cool: all the gti's i've been in have done it.  My middle box has lost its ability to silence and it sounds great  :grin: I'll be running it til it actually breaks or gets too loud to handle  :laugh:

"Ever since I started to surf, I have realized that golf is for people who don't know how to surf."  -- Tiger Woods.

my dub project:-
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=35338.0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyEUOoH_xxo

Offline baz_the_man62

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 124
Re: popping
« Reply #17 on: 17 May 2006, 12:57 »
its never too loud to handle

Offline Mk1Mad J - 16v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,382
  • At my age I don't have to act responsibly...
Re: popping
« Reply #18 on: 17 May 2006, 13:00 »
its never too loud to handle

 :laugh: When it interferes with the tunes its too loud  - I've done the big exhaust thing, I prefer to avoid the police attention these days  :wink:

"Ever since I started to surf, I have realized that golf is for people who don't know how to surf."  -- Tiger Woods.

my dub project:-
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=35338.0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyEUOoH_xxo

Offline steviem

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 696
Re: popping
« Reply #19 on: 17 May 2006, 13:08 »
Mine leaks like a freaking biatch! But the popping does sound quite good, but really annoying...
Mine seems to pop when I'm going at lower revs too, but sounds amazing rally car stylee when booting it :evil:
So when I get a new exhaust for it, it will be something that sounds great when doing some and quietish when toodling around town.

How does an exhaust leak cause the car to overfuel?