Author Topic: Meet Daisy…  (Read 13422 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Meet Daisy…
« Reply #90 on: 18 January 2024, 17:48 »
Thanks Yusee :afro: and yessssss, yes it does have a heated helm, plus I pushed the boat out and got heated seats too which have been made good use of lately. It’s lovely arriving at work or home with toasty mitts and feeling like I’ve peed myself  :smiley:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #91 on: 28 January 2024, 23:14 »
Ok, quick 1 month update. I won’t waffle on for once.
700 odd miles in, previously I think I said the Clubby was much better to drive, I’ve changed my mind! Now the oily bits are wearing in and the first few microns of concrete reinforced rubber has worn off the Bridgestones I’d say the mk8 R is actually just as engaging to drive the twisties, rides puddles better, seems to be fractionally more responsive on the motorway around the NSL (depending on gearbox mode) and the steering is on a par.
I’d previously criticised the steering and drive modes but I’m putting that down to newness as compared to a 26k run in car.

Fuel economy still not great, ride over pothole ridges a bit lumpy (the latter could just be the tyres) and the main difference I’ve noticed between a 2020 and a 2023 build is the central locking and folding mirror sounds are both significantly quieter on the newer car.  :nerd:  (stuff you notice at 5am!!)
The Soundaktor is still bloody annoying.
I still miss the looks of the Clubby.

Oh, and SRGTD, here’s one for your further disapproval - second wash today and noticed the first stone chip, right on the wheel spoke where the black meets the polished  :rolleyes:
(Touch up duly applied)
Let the white worm commence!  :sad:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #92 on: 29 January 2024, 08:17 »
Ok, quick 1 month update. I won’t waffle on for once.
700 odd miles in, previously I think I said the Clubby was much better to drive, I’ve changed my mind! Now the oily bits are wearing in and the first few microns of concrete reinforced rubber has worn off the Bridgestones I’d say the mk8 R is actually just as engaging to drive the twisties, rides puddles better, seems to be fractionally more responsive on the motorway around the NSL (depending on gearbox mode) and the steering is on a par.
I’d previously criticised the steering and drive modes but I’m putting that down to newness as compared to a 26k run in car.

Fuel economy still not great, ride over pothole ridges a bit lumpy (the latter could just be the tyres) and the main difference I’ve noticed between a 2020 and a 2023 build is the central locking and folding mirror sounds are both significantly quieter on the newer car.  :nerd:  (stuff you notice at 5am!!)
The Soundaktor is still bloody annoying.
I still miss the looks of the Clubby.

Oh, and SRGTD, here’s one for your further disapproval - second wash today and noticed the first stone chip, right on the wheel spoke where the black meets the polished  :rolleyes:
(Touch up duly applied)
Let the white worm commence!  :sad:

With any luck, sorting the stone chip quickly will have stopped that pesky white worm taking hold. The first stone chip is always the worst, whether it’s on a wheel or the car’s bodywork :angry:. IMHO touch up paint is one of the most important things you can buy for a new car; you’ll always need it at some point and it’s far more important than sill scuff plates that seem to be the favourite ‘must have’ on another Golf forum!

Oh, have I mentioned before how much I dislike diamond cut alloys and their susceptibility to white worm? Maybe just once or twice……. :grin: :grin:
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline bogwoppit

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #93 on: 02 February 2024, 10:20 »
Very nice Exonian  :smiley:

Glad it has the most important item, the heated steering wheel. Best invention ever.

Has the gearbox started coasting now it has some miles on it?
BMW 128ti - current

Mk 7.5 GTI PP, indium grey, manual - gone

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #94 on: 02 February 2024, 18:36 »
Thanks bogwoppit  :smiley:

900 miles in and still unable to coast. I’ve even been driving it in Comfort which puts the gearbox in E (where the ‘box is in 7th gear by the time you’ve moved a couple metres) but nada.
Admittedly I’m a strange specimen but for some reason I used to enjoy getting the car to coast to keep myself amused whilst driving.
I’ve not managed to get an exhaust pop either which I’m not upset about as I’m somewhat old for that sort of nonsense, but sometimes the inner child in me…  :whistle:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline TurboTrev

• I live here
« Reply #95 on: 16 February 2024, 15:42 »
Just catching up again with your thoughts and good to read that the R is growing on you, apart from missing the Clubby's looks (not surprising)!  Now that you have a few miles under your belt, has the car suffered from any gremlins, bongs etc. yet?

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #96 on: 16 February 2024, 16:09 »
Hi Trev, I’m at 1200 miles now and (touch wood) absolutely no issues so far. The car lives outside, it’s commuting early mornings on horrid wet rural roads with loads of standing water most days and other days it’s cold and good use is made of the ventilation pre-conditioning on the VW app to start the frost melt before I drag my backside out into the freezing pre-dawn morning air.

When the car was new it felt as if the engine, gearbox, drivetrain and rear diff were all working independently of one another but now it’s well settled down and works seamlessly together to the extent where I can’t tell the difference between it and the Clubsport most of the time, it’s that sharp. The VDM thingy obviously learns and works very well.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline davo245

• Here all the time
« Reply #97 on: 16 February 2024, 18:09 »
Hi Trev, I’m at 1200 miles now and (touch wood) absolutely no issues so far. The car lives outside, it’s commuting early mornings on horrid wet rural roads with loads of standing water most days and other days it’s cold and good use is made of the ventilation pre-conditioning on the VW app to start the frost melt before I drag my backside out into the freezing pre-dawn morning air.

When the car was new it felt as if the engine, gearbox, drivetrain and rear diff were all working independently of one another but now it’s well settled down and works seamlessly together to the extent where I can’t tell the difference between it and the Clubsport most of the time, it’s that sharp. The VDM thingy obviously learns and works very well.

Does this actually work and defrost the car? I have never tried using it or if it even works can't see how it defrosts without the engine running for heat?

What's you procedure with it?
Mk6 GTI DSG
MK7.5 GTI performance DSG
Mk8 GTI

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #98 on: 16 February 2024, 18:50 »
It works much the same as a cabin heater in an EV.
Set it to start up to 30 mins before you get in and, subject to battery charge, will fire up the electric heater (modern cars don’t rely solely on coolant temperature otherwise diesels would take most of the day to get any cabin warmth!) and blowers to gently warm the cabin. The pre-set seems to be 22°c and it does take the edge off the chill. It doesn’t completely defrost the screens but softens it enough to wipe the ice off. After 30 mins it’s not at 22° either but it’s not numb bum cold.
If you fail to switch it back to a cooler cabin temp on the HVAC when you get in, coat and all, it soon gets bladdy hot in the cabin once the engine is running and coolant warm. 22°c is quite warm with a coat on, I normally leave it around 18°c
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline davo245

• Here all the time
« Reply #99 on: 16 February 2024, 19:38 »
It works much the same as a cabin heater in an EV.
Set it to start up to 30 mins before you get in and, subject to battery charge, will fire up the electric heater (modern cars don’t rely solely on coolant temperature otherwise diesels would take most of the day to get any cabin warmth!) and blowers to gently warm the cabin. The pre-set seems to be 22°c and it does take the edge off the chill. It doesn’t completely defrost the screens but softens it enough to wipe the ice off. After 30 mins it’s not at 22° either but it’s not numb bum cold.
If you fail to switch it back to a cooler cabin temp on the HVAC when you get in, coat and all, it soon gets bladdy hot in the cabin once the engine is running and coolant warm. 22°c is quite warm with a coat on, I normally leave it around 18°c

Thanks will give it a go👍
Mk6 GTI DSG
MK7.5 GTI performance DSG
Mk8 GTI