Author Topic: Avon calling!  (Read 34682 times)

Offline Ubique

• GTI forum regular
Re: Avon calling!
« Reply #300 on: 22 November 2023, 10:07 »
Just dropped mine off for its second steering wheel replacement, we shall see what it does to the bongs. The service guy “promised” this would be the end of the bongs! I laughed but he got his own back by lending me an id3, just driven it home, what a POS.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #301 on: 22 November 2023, 10:47 »
Just dropped mine off for its second steering wheel replacement, we shall see what it does to the bongs.

A SECOND replacement? If it didn't fix it the first time....
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Lewb

• Just got here
« Reply #302 on: 22 November 2023, 11:56 »
Is there a warranty with these steering wheels? I booked mine in a few weeks ago under warranty and it's getting done tomorrow but if it happens again with this new wheel I will be out of the 3 year Volkswagen warranty.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #303 on: 22 November 2023, 13:08 »
Is there a warranty with these steering wheels? I booked mine in a few weeks ago under warranty and it's getting done tomorrow but if it happens again with this new wheel I will be out of the 3 year Volkswagen warranty.

Hardly any bongs for two years on original software here, 1894 installed at 2nd service and it all went bonkers/bongkers (hence this thread), new steering wheel after several months of being driven to distraction, although admittedly the bongs eased considerably when the weather warmed up.
Steering wheel replacement seemed to cure the bongs on 1894, and now 1941 has landed and all seems ok *so far*
I’m in the same boat as you as regards to warranty so will be taking out VW’s All-in just in case the bongs return. My factory warranty expires December 2023.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #304 on: 22 November 2023, 13:09 »

This is from the terms and conditions of the New Car Factory Warranty on VW’s website;

’Any part which is replaced becomes the property of Volkswagen. Any replaced parts are covered for the unexpired period of the vehicle warranty.’

So if a new steering wheel is fitted the day before the original 3 year new car warranty expires, you’d have just 1 day’s warranty on the replacement steering wheel.

Link to the warranty T&C’s below;
https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/en/owners-and-services/my-car/important-information/warranties-and-insurance/new-car-terms.html
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Lewb

• Just got here
« Reply #305 on: 22 November 2023, 13:14 »

Hardly any bongs for two years on original software here, 1894 installed at 2nd service and it all went bonkers/bongkers (hence this thread), new steering wheel after several months of being driven to distraction, although admittedly the bongs eased considerably when the weather warmed up.
Steering wheel replacement seemed to cure the bongs on 1894, and now 1941 has landed and all seems ok *so far*
I’m in the same boat as you as regards to warranty so will be taking out VW’s All-in just in case the bongs return. My factory warranty expires December 2023.

How long have you had the new steering wheel for? Would it be to late for me to take out VW warranty if my 3 year warranty expired in September? Do I have to take the new one out when I'm still in my 3 year one?

Since the new update if I turn the steering wheel just a little bit it goes off. Hardly happened before the update.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #306 on: 22 November 2023, 13:37 »

How long have you had the new steering wheel for? Would it be to late for me to take out VW warranty if my 3 year warranty expired in September? Do I have to take the new one out when I'm still in my 3 year one?

Since the new update if I turn the steering wheel just a little bit it goes off. Hardly happened before the update.

I can’t quite remember the date the steering wheel was replaced as I have a brain like a sieve but it was documented in this thread somewhere. 
There were quite a few members here who had replacements within a month or so of each other so we’ll have to assume the ‘on back order’ issue was resolved by VW taking a big delivery of new wheels from Temu.

You can purchase All-in at any point after your 3 year warranty and it’s currently 25% off on Black Friday offer (they do this every year). The caveat being you have to wait 30 days if your factory warranty has expired before you can make a claim on All-in.
Dilemma for you will be whether to purchase the policy, wait 30 days then ring your service department or just take the bull by the horns now and complain immediately in an attempt to get a new steering wheel on a goodwill claim. I’d try the latter personally but still go for the All-in assuming you wish to use VW for future servicing.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Ubique

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #307 on: 22 November 2023, 14:27 »
Just dropped mine off for its second steering wheel replacement, we shall see what it does to the bongs.

A SECOND replacement? If it didn't fix it the first time....

You couldn’t make it up Fred…I can’t wait for next March when the lease is up. Facelifted Tesla model 3 here I come.

Offline Lewb

• Just got here
« Reply #308 on: 22 November 2023, 17:35 »

I can’t quite remember the date the steering wheel was replaced as I have a brain like a sieve but it was documented in this thread somewhere. 
There were quite a few members here who had replacements within a month or so of each other so we’ll have to assume the ‘on back order’ issue was resolved by VW taking a big delivery of new wheels from Temu.

You can purchase All-in at any point after your 3 year warranty and it’s currently 25% off on Black Friday offer (they do this every year). The caveat being you have to wait 30 days if your factory warranty has expired before you can make a claim on All-in.
Dilemma for you will be whether to purchase the policy, wait 30 days then ring your service department or just take the bull by the horns now and complain immediately in an attempt to get a new steering wheel on a goodwill claim. I’d try the latter personally but still go for the All-in assuming you wish to use VW for future servicing.

I'm getting a new steering wheel installed tomorrow.

I'm just thinking of the future if this happens again like it has with others that are on their second wheel.

Offline Ubique

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #309 on: 22 November 2023, 18:36 »
I had the best quote from the service chap at Beadles when I picked up the bong machine. I asked if this new steering wheel would definitely get rid of the bongs? He said “ That’s way above my pay grade but at least it’s new and feels nice.” I just shook his hand…