Author Topic: Avon calling!  (Read 34697 times)

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
Re: Avon calling!
« Reply #230 on: 07 June 2023, 10:31 »
After a four month wait I finally got my steering wheel replaced.

I can’t actually report on whether it’s totally bong free yet as the car has been silent for a good few weeks during this warm dry spell of weather. Time will tell.

Interestingly (to me at least), I’m now reminded of my initial thoughts from when I collected the car new two and a half years ago - the steering wheel feels more like rubber than leather in the dimpled sections and I’m not convinced it’s proper leather in the smooth sections either, but the steering wheel does feel more grippy when new than it does after 20 odd thousand miles. The steering wheel smooths off in use quite quickly.

I had a loan car VW Polo for the time my own car was in the dealership which was an interesting experience.
Firstly the steering wheel in it is more akin to a mk7 Golf and the wheel rim felt much better quality leather than my mk8 Golf. And it had proper buttons.
Aside from that it was sh!te.
I’m not actually sure it had an engine but it did manage some form of sluggish forward propulsion which was woefully inadequate for the hilly terrain where I live. I’m not talking huge hills, just hilly coastal road hills. Pulling out onto busy roundabouts was scary.
The interior plastics were nasty.
This is an example of a car sold on a marque’s heritage rather than any actual qualities of its own (steering wheel rim aside). Why anyone would buy a non GTI Polo over an Ibiza or Fabia is anyone’s guess. In fact why not save some more money and get a Hyundai which probably has a better warranty too.
Poor poor cynical effort VW, aimed at those who buy a car out of pure blinkered laziness.

Oh, as for the MMI thing, my lad had regular MMI crashes in his 2021 A3 S-Line which has recently gone in for a warranty job. I’ll ask him if it’s any better now.

The new Polo GTI was on my list for the second car if we kept the TCR, as even with every option ticked it was well within my reach and local VW had a white, fully specced on it showroom, so managed to get a really good lookover, and its a really nice looking car in the white with the GTI bits and pieces, so exterior is fine, but you cannot get past the poor quality of the interior, as you said its a near disgrace, the quality of materials is horrible, hard plastic everywhere, and it was immediately off my list in the 2 mins took me to get in, look over and get out. 

The 128Ti was only £4000 more than that fully specced VW Polo GTI, and that's a night and day comparison.

Follow this thread out of interest and to be informed as can see myself in a performance Golf down the line again, but am waiting on the MK 8.5 which are usually evolution, but given the issues needing resolving, needs to be more revolution.
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #231 on: 07 June 2023, 18:43 »
@SR, I’d imagine you’re right, it’d certainly be a base model but that engine is woeful. I’ve driven a good few 1980’s Polos with less power that went like absolute rockets! Great cars.
The general interior felt typical VW familiarity but the door cards had no cloth trims at all, just plain hard plastic aside from a small elbow pad. My son’s Ibiza is better quality for less money (seat cloth being a possible exception), and the Fabia better still.
As a package that particular spec just doesn’t cut it with VW’s high pricing.
I’ve always been a big Polo GTI fan and I’d hope the interior was a fair bit nicer. The hard plastics don’t bother me but they can easily be spruced up with nice inserts.
I’ve owned a good few Polos over the years so am not being judgemental, in fact they’re quite close to my heart as my mother had a 1979 and then a 1982 Polo when I was child.
I’ve personally owned a 1986 1272 GL as a runabout (best built version), likewise a 1992 Polo GT as a runabout, both owned until they became old and problematic. Plus a Polo G40, a Polo Genesis I took in part exchange for another car I sold and a 2006/7 Polo GTI 1.8T (which I took to REVO for fettling)

@Hertsman, the 1 series knocks spots off any current VW interior. It’s in a different league.
Strangely enough though I immediately gelled with the simplicity of the mk8 Golf interior and, aside from cheap runabouts I had as second cars, I think it’s the longest I’ve owned a car now.

Back on topic, I tried the steering wheel heater this morning as it was only 9°c or so and I note the heating seems more evenly dispersed through the whole rim but a lower temperature on the low setting. Possibly another sign of ongoing product updates over a model life.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #232 on: 08 June 2023, 08:02 »
I’ve had the crash/reboot happen a few times. Almost always a few moments after I’ve started up, manoeuvring in the driveway. It’s like the system gets overwhelmed with booting up + starting CarPlay + reverse camera etc etc. It always reboots and back to normal again within 5-10 seconds so it doesn’t bother me.
Honestly I think it’s a waste of time reporting issues like this to the dealers. 
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #233 on: 08 June 2023, 08:29 »
I emailed my dealer following 4 re-boots / black outs in one day.

Their response was to ask me to send them a video of it happening

I asked them if they were aware it’s illegal to hold your mobile phone whilst driving ?

No reply…

Maybe they assumed you occasionally carry a passenger.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline GtIOlly

• Not said much yet
« Reply #234 on: 08 June 2023, 11:47 »
The start up ones arnt really a problem it's when it gose off 3-4 times in 5 minutes while driving

Offline Ubique

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #235 on: 08 June 2023, 13:03 »

Bong! Bong! Bong! And now my front parking sensors don’t work. Yawn.

Offline Carlosfandango

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #236 on: 09 June 2023, 07:52 »

How on earth I’ve 99% got away with this happening, is beyond me!? What model year is your car?
Bong! Bong! Bong! And now my front parking sensors don’t work. Yawn.
Current car -
Mk8 GTI DSG, Kings Red, Pan Roof, Extended Winter Pack, Rear Camera, DCC, Adelaide Reps (CMWheels), Eibach Pro-Kit Springs.

Gone -
2020 BMW M135i xDrive, Storm Bay Metallic, Pan roof, Tech pack, Pro pack, Comfort pack,
👇see it here👇
https://youtu.be/j-4x9ZxehWU

Offline Ubique

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #237 on: 09 June 2023, 19:19 »
It’s a 21 plate piece of annoyance.

Offline Carlosfandango

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #238 on: 10 June 2023, 15:08 »

That would make it a 2021MY I believe, up to this point many had issues with bongs etc. As mine is a September 2021 built, (71 plate) 2022MY car, my build date was just after it changed to 2022MY, at this point various factory fit hardware was updated to the newest revision available, this appears to fix a lot of the apparent software/hardware incompatibility, for example, 2022MY onward, had the newer steering wheel fitted at factory, this is most easily identified by the newer font red GTI badge at the bottom of the wheel, although, as many have now had a replacement wheel, this can no longer solely be used to identify 2022MY or newer cars,
« Last Edit: 10 June 2023, 21:16 by Carlosfandango »
Current car -
Mk8 GTI DSG, Kings Red, Pan Roof, Extended Winter Pack, Rear Camera, DCC, Adelaide Reps (CMWheels), Eibach Pro-Kit Springs.

Gone -
2020 BMW M135i xDrive, Storm Bay Metallic, Pan roof, Tech pack, Pro pack, Comfort pack,
👇see it here👇
https://youtu.be/j-4x9ZxehWU

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #239 on: 10 June 2023, 19:06 »

That would make it a 2021MY I believe, up to this point many had issues with bongs etc. As mine is a September 2021 built, 2022MY car, my build date was just after it changed to 2022MY, at this point various factory fit hardware was updated to the newest revision available, this appears to fix a lot of the apparent software/hardware incompatibility, for example, 2022MY onward, had the newer steering wheel fitted at factory, this is most easily identified by the newer font red GTI badge at the bottom of the wheel, although, as many have now had a replacement wheel, this can no longer solely be used to identify 2022MY or newer cars,

Mine is also a later 2021 build (So also a MY22 car) and I've had very few "bong" issues, so you might be onto something alright.

I notice the latest build cars have a different VW badge on the centre too... are people who get replacement wheels getting that new-style VW badge also?
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.