Author Topic: Avon calling!  (Read 34686 times)

Offline GtIOlly

• Not said much yet
Re: Avon calling!
« Reply #220 on: 17 May 2023, 22:53 »
thanks ,I'll get on to another local one this week dose it have to be main dealer for warranty or can it be approved repair?
Just wondering if anyone had any issues with the front DRL (the light bar that gose across the front) mine has condensation on one side, vw just got back to me said it's completely normal on a 21 plate. Any advice ?

Yeah I know someone who had this issue when the car was a few weeks old and he had the grill replaced under warranty, no questions asked. It is not normal. Your dealer is talking out of his arse, not an unknown phenomenon for dealers.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #221 on: 18 May 2023, 09:20 »
The post below is from vwroc.com forum - posted earlier today. Seems that a steering wheel replacement may not solve the Avon bongs;

1 hour ago, mpv said:
My brother took his troc R in today for diagnosis due to non stop TA and SOS dinging. He is the one whose mk8 GTI had a new steering wheel earlier. This time they did the software update, and advised the first shipment of new steering wheels to Australia had not resolved the problem and are not being deployed or fitted anymore. And he is on a wait list like me for late June for a revised replacement wheel.  The still advise the whole wheel, not just components, be changed.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Colh

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #222 on: 18 May 2023, 13:58 »
Mine went in for diagnostics yesterday for the bongs plus bonus always on heated steering wheel.

They’ve decided it’s a new steering wheel (£360) covered under warranty.  Waiting on timescales.
Current: 2021 MK8 GTI DSG Atlantic Blue
Gone: 2018 MK7.5 GTI Deep Pearl Black
Gone: 2015 MK7 Match Night Blue
Gone: 2010 MK6 GTD Deep Pearl Black
Gone: 2008 MK5 Match Blue

Offline Ubique

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #223 on: 18 May 2023, 16:40 »

Great, now the car has turned into my ex wife and started to give me advise.

Offline Colh

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #224 on: 18 May 2023, 20:42 »
Was told its taking about 6 weeks to get them.  So sometime in July by the looks of it.
Current: 2021 MK8 GTI DSG Atlantic Blue
Gone: 2018 MK7.5 GTI Deep Pearl Black
Gone: 2015 MK7 Match Night Blue
Gone: 2010 MK6 GTD Deep Pearl Black
Gone: 2008 MK5 Match Blue

Offline GtIOlly

• Not said much yet
« Reply #225 on: 05 June 2023, 20:29 »
Hi all
Dose anyone know if the mmi black out , ( just turns off randomly then takes a minute to reboot usually with a warning with something unrelated to the mii in the dash) is related to the steering wheel issues or do I need to book it in again?
Tia all

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #226 on: 05 June 2023, 21:46 »
Hi all
Dose anyone know if the mmi black out , ( just turns off randomly then takes a minute to reboot usually with a warning with something unrelated to the mii in the dash) is related to the steering wheel issues or do I need to book it in again?
Tia all

I believe it’s unrelated to the steering wheel issue; there are forum members over on vwroc.com who are waiting for new steering wheel that have had a separate dealer fix (software update) for the infotainment screen blackouts and subsequent re-booting issue. Those that had the fix have had reoccurrences of the issue, so the software update didn’t work :angry:.
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk

Offline GtIOlly

• Not said much yet
« Reply #227 on: 06 June 2023, 14:21 »
Ah ace thanks for the info , yesterday took the biscuit rebooted 5-6 times in no more than a 10 minute trip

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #228 on: 06 June 2023, 14:53 »
After a four month wait I finally got my steering wheel replaced.

I can’t actually report on whether it’s totally bong free yet as the car has been silent for a good few weeks during this warm dry spell of weather. Time will tell.

Interestingly (to me at least), I’m now reminded of my initial thoughts from when I collected the car new two and a half years ago - the steering wheel feels more like rubber than leather in the dimpled sections and I’m not convinced it’s proper leather in the smooth sections either, but the steering wheel does feel more grippy when new than it does after 20 odd thousand miles. The steering wheel smooths off in use quite quickly.

I had a loan car VW Polo for the time my own car was in the dealership which was an interesting experience.
Firstly the steering wheel in it is more akin to a mk7 Golf and the wheel rim felt much better quality leather than my mk8 Golf. And it had proper buttons.
Aside from that it was sh!te.
I’m not actually sure it had an engine but it did manage some form of sluggish forward propulsion which was woefully inadequate for the hilly terrain where I live. I’m not talking huge hills, just hilly coastal road hills. Pulling out onto busy roundabouts was scary.
The interior plastics were nasty.
This is an example of a car sold on a marque’s heritage rather than any actual qualities of its own (steering wheel rim aside). Why anyone would buy a non GTI Polo over an Ibiza or Fabia is anyone’s guess. In fact why not save some more money and get a Hyundai which probably has a better warranty too.
Poor poor cynical effort VW, aimed at those who buy a car out of pure blinkered laziness.

Oh, as for the MMI thing, my lad had regular MMI crashes in his 2021 A3 S-Line which has recently gone in for a warranty job. I’ll ask him if it’s any better now.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #229 on: 07 June 2023, 10:04 »
After a four month wait I finally got my steering wheel replaced.

I can’t actually report on whether it’s totally bong free yet as the car has been silent for a good few weeks during this warm dry spell of weather. Time will tell.

Interestingly (to me at least), I’m now reminded of my initial thoughts from when I collected the car new two and a half years ago - the steering wheel feels more like rubber than leather in the dimpled sections and I’m not convinced it’s proper leather in the smooth sections either, but the steering wheel does feel more grippy when new than it does after 20 odd thousand miles. The steering wheel smooths off in use quite quickly.

I had a loan car VW Polo for the time my own car was in the dealership which was an interesting experience.
Firstly the steering wheel in it is more akin to a mk7 Golf and the wheel rim felt much better quality leather than my mk8 Golf. And it had proper buttons.
Aside from that it was sh!te.
I’m not actually sure it had an engine but it did manage some form of sluggish forward propulsion which was woefully inadequate for the hilly terrain where I live. I’m not talking huge hills, just hilly coastal road hills. Pulling out onto busy roundabouts was scary.
The interior plastics were nasty.
This is an example of a car sold on a marque’s heritage rather than any actual qualities of its own (steering wheel rim aside). Why anyone would buy a non GTI Polo over an Ibiza or Fabia is anyone’s guess. In fact why not save some more money and get a Hyundai which probably has a better warranty too.
Poor poor cynical effort VW, aimed at those who buy a car out of pure blinkered laziness.

Oh, as for the MMI thing, my lad had regular MMI crashes in his 2021 A3 S-Line which has recently gone in for a warranty job. I’ll ask him if it’s any better now.

Hopefully silence has been restored for good. As you say, time will tell.

Good to hear you enjoyed the Polo courtesy car :grin:. In my experience, dealership courtesy cars are usually entry level models; in the case of the Polo, that would be a 1.0 litre 80ps Life model. My VW dealer has Audi and Seat franchises on the same site as VW and I did get an Audi TT once as a courtesy car though; it was a big disappointment - the worst car I’ve driven for unwanted interior creaks and rattles :shocked:.

If by nasty plastics you’re referring to the hard plastic door cards, that tends to be the norm with many B segment Polo-sized cars these days. Ford Fiesta and Vauxhall Corsa has them and even the ‘premium’ brand Audi A1 and Q2. I’ve got them in my 2020 Polo GTI+ and can’t say they bother me; admittedly soft feel door cards are more tactile and of a higher perceived quality, but I’m not into fondling my car’s door cards :grin:. IMHO, the rest of the plastics in the interior (e.g. soft feel dashboard) are pretty much on a par with the mk8 Golf. Oh, and the software has been problem-free - and I’d take that over soft feel, tactile door cards any day :whistle: :smiley:.

Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk