Author Topic: Avon calling!  (Read 34681 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Avon calling!
« Reply #130 on: 06 March 2023, 12:35 »
My clearing of the faults has yielded zero bongs this week... Might be worth a go for anyone else...

Nobody thought this worth a comment.... still no bongs for me.... still on 1899....
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline BillSan

• Here all the time
« Reply #131 on: 06 March 2023, 12:53 »
My clearing of the faults has yielded zero bongs this week... Might be worth a go for anyone else...

Nobody thought this worth a comment.... still no bongs for me.... still on 1899....

I made a note Fred but I was expecting you to tell us the bongs had returned any day now.   It's good to know they haven't (yet?).  If they stay away for a few more weeks I'll be calling my dealer to clear my faults too. 

Was that all that you did or is there another step?
Pure White Mk8 Clubsport
TD Motorsport Pro Y Spoke Wheels
1899 Software but new s/wheel & no bongs since 4/1/24

Gone: Mk7.5 GTE

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #132 on: 06 March 2023, 13:15 »

Same as BillSan I was holding my breath waiting for you to say “they’re baaaaack”

I’m still on 1896 and mine are still unfathomably erratic.
I had a notification to say new software update available but no sign of 1899 OTA update yet.

Fingers crossed for you Fred, if you’re still bong free at the weekend I’ll ask VW to clear my faults when it goes in next week.

… the 128Ti interior is superb, but that cossetted cabin feeling and smoothness of drive and acceleration is proving maybe to be too nice, miss the DSG box dropping gears and little bit of rawness (hot hatch ness) in the drive overall, so how car drives does have equal importance, If could put the 128Ti interior in my GTI TCR would have the perfect car :)

Everyone except me seems to prefer DSG to the Aisin(?) box in the 1’er.
I actually preferred the BMW box, the shift up points seemed more natural complementing the torquier engine power delivery and kickdown was quite brutal in it especially in Sport mode. The VW system seems a lot more digital. 
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #133 on: 06 March 2023, 13:55 »

Same as BillSan I was holding my breath waiting for you to say “they’re baaaaack”

I’m still on 1896 and mine are still unfathomably erratic.
I had a notification to say new software update available but no sign of 1899 OTA update yet.

Fingers crossed for you Fred, if you’re still bong free at the weekend I’ll ask VW to clear my faults when it goes in next week.

… the 128Ti interior is superb, but that cossetted cabin feeling and smoothness of drive and acceleration is proving maybe to be too nice, miss the DSG box dropping gears and little bit of rawness (hot hatch ness) in the drive overall, so how car drives does have equal importance, If could put the 128Ti interior in my GTI TCR would have the perfect car :)

Everyone except me seems to prefer DSG to the Aisin(?) box in the 1’er.
I actually preferred the BMW box, the shift up points seemed more natural complementing the torquier engine power delivery and kickdown was quite brutal in it especially in Sport mode. The VW system seems a lot more digital.

think some of this is down to what was used to, as its maybe the BMW and yes the Aisin box is too good, as its so linear and smooth, you hit the self imposed limiter way before expect with no real feeling of the climb to, and the DSG was pretty good at that also, but the down shifting is as equally as good, and think quite liked the felt down changes on the DSG and the change in revs as braked,

There is no DCC on the 128Ti and was expecting it to be a firm ride, but its also super smooth, which when coupled with the smooth engine and smooth gear changes, its just a far more refined overall experience than was expecting on straight getaways and the drive

However, its pretty lively in the hand, turns well into bend and corners, though you have to be wary of the torque steer, which is readily tamable and does add to the engagement when really driving the car.

Do know this is the bong thread, so will stop the digress, but as will likely be changing again in 12 months, do not want to completely exclude a MK8 so am watching the progress of these bongs being ironed out closely and the removal of faults does sound promising but obviously does need more cases to see if its just a one person workaround or an actual fix once update applied.

Work for large IT company and am closely involved in platform developments and story creation, and unless regression testing is of the highest quality, there is always chance that the latest update, breaks the stability of something else that was never a problem, and its just ongoing whack a mole. lets hope that VW Dev have learnt a lot and are now on the other side of the problem now, though the hardware related aspect concerns me as even mature and robust updates applied to earlier cars will still not solve the bongs you feel, going to make these cars, used car avoids,

Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #134 on: 06 March 2023, 14:48 »

I made a note Fred but I was expecting you to tell us the bongs had returned any day now.   It's good to know they haven't (yet?).  If they stay away for a few more weeks I'll be calling my dealer to clear my faults too. 

Was that all that you did or is there another step?

Just plugged in OBD11, did a scan, found 57 faults - had a look through the faults and none of them I could corelate to bong occurences.... cleared the faults down.

Been silent ever since.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #135 on: 06 March 2023, 14:52 »
BTW Hertsman... the issue VW had is that they created from scratch a software company just when they needed software for the ID3 and Mk8/A3/Octavia/SEAT...

Who'd have thought that starting a large software company from scratch 5 minutes before you needed it would cause chaos eh.

I seem to remember VW saying that in the future software will be a key product differentiator in customer choice about cars.... well they were right, but not in the way they thought they meant...

Oh and I totally don't mind the minimalist approach VW have taken, I actually really like it. If the damned thing worked properly it would be pretty much perfect.

« Last Edit: 06 March 2023, 14:54 by fredgroves »

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #136 on: 06 March 2023, 15:34 »
BTW Hertsman... the issue VW had is that they created from scratch a software company just when they needed software for the ID3 and Mk8/A3/Octavia/SEAT...

Who'd have thought that starting a large software company from scratch 5 minutes before you needed it would cause chaos eh.

I seem to remember VW saying that in the future software will be a key product differentiator in customer choice about cars.... well they were right, but not in the way they thought they meant...

Oh and I totally don't mind the minimalist approach VW have taken, I actually really like it. If the damned thing worked properly it would be pretty much perfect.

Never knew that, and though sure they employed some really talented folk but it takes so much time to nail down mature and robust processes, especially on something with so much scale, you never run before you can walk, no matter the deadline, as once something is out in the wild its 10 x harder to bring to standard.

Not that do much gaming these days, but do read of games being released with so many bugs to meet a deadline, they are virtually unplayable.

Once taken the time to produce a solid base product O/S every iteration there after can be produced with evolutionary calm, and any issues are ripples that can be worked out readily. Think VW may have been desperate given the Diesel scandal to move the narrative on to the future? But by rushing to do so, just created another story and maybe a 'bong gate' if these issues are never fixed.

Not entirely opposed to minimal, my RS2000 just had a tape deck as its added luxury, but having got used to the better materials and classy dials etc of the more recent generation of cars, do feel that we going too far the other way, but think could cope more with the minimalist if the materials were still top quality and all the little things like under seat storage were not binned off, so minimalist is just not about the change in tech, but about the less for more all around.

Think the MK 8 could just take one step back and add a few more switches and buttons, for the most used actions, IE: the BMW has 8 touch, programmable short cuts, very minimalistic, but every short cut really need from the O/S is there at press of button.

Really interested to see what the MK 8.5 looks like when it arrives, if its where the car should have been before released.
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #137 on: 06 March 2023, 16:25 »
I don't know they will go backwards from where they are.... one of the things is that the software is identical across the entire range. Not sure they will want to configure software interfaces for physical interfaces....or pay for the components needed for the physical buttons.

Not that I find it a problem again, it was a bit of culture shock for a couple of days but no different I guess from going from a phone with a keypad to one that is only a single touch screen.

I've not tried many other modern cars (eg Tesla or Polestar) but suspect there its exactly the same...possibly even less buttons (because the mk8 does still have buttons for some stuff...)

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #138 on: 06 March 2023, 18:35 »
Imo What they should have done was differentiate the brands, As they did to a degree in the  90s.
Maybe let say SEAT run the simple ergonomic old school technology with buttons and let VW be the pioneer.
The way they have done it they have alienated a market. For example alot of pensioner's drive golf's most like my relatives dont want all the screens etc. They use a car as transport from a to b and use to buy Golfs and have done since mk2 days as they were the clean, simple easy ergonomic design. They don't have an option from the VW empire now.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #139 on: 06 March 2023, 20:59 »
Personally I like the minimalist interior and always have done. Granted it looks a bit naff in photos but actually sat inside it’s fine. It’s not luxurious but it’s not overly cheap feeling either.

As an OAP-in-waiting myself I’d have thought the mk8 design was very old person friendly.
Old people like ugly cars - tick, most mk8 variants are pretty fugly
Old people like nice simple easy to read instruments - tick, huge digital speedo and big icons on the central screen.
Ease of saving Radio Three and Four or fascist phone in indie station in favourites - tick
Pull down menu to save frequently used things on main screen that involves one not having to take eyes off the road for more than a second or two - tick
Basic controls easy to find on (sh!te) haptic buttons - tick
Lots of tech many oldies will will never use tucked away out of sight in a menu somewhere - tick

Couple of demerits: the Golf is lower than most current Mini-SUV’s so ingress and egress not so easy and the climate screen menu can look like a dogs dinner to the uninitiated, but once set most people don’t fiddle with it much.

Yeah, it’s pretty OAP friendly Snoopy  :wink:

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner