Author Topic: Avon calling!  (Read 34721 times)

Offline BillSan

• Here all the time
Re: Avon calling!
« Reply #100 on: 28 February 2023, 15:07 »
The fact that there's no logic to it must be the reason why VW are out ot their depth trying to sort it out (if they are trying to sort it!)

I'm not a software engineer or programmer but surely the intermittent bongs and warnings could be mitigated by delaying the bong/warning light and only having it come on, if it doesn't self-cancel within 30 seconds.   It might not get rid of the problem altogether but it would stop the cycle of warnings which happen and disappear.

Pure White Mk8 Clubsport
TD Motorsport Pro Y Spoke Wheels
1899 Software but new s/wheel & no bongs since 4/1/24

Gone: Mk7.5 GTE

Online fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #101 on: 28 February 2023, 15:16 »
The fact that there's no logic to it must be the reason why VW are out ot their depth trying to sort it out (if they are trying to sort it!)

I'm not a software engineer or programmer but surely the intermittent bongs and warnings could be mitigated by delaying the bong/warning light and only having it come on, if it doesn't self-cancel within 30 seconds.   It might not get rid of the problem altogether but it would stop the cycle of warnings which happen and disappear.

I'd say the same, however the systems its bonging about (SOS and Travel Assist) are safety systems that someone might be relying on... guess VW's lawyers won't let them surpress them...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline BillSan

• Here all the time
« Reply #102 on: 28 February 2023, 21:14 »
We all remember the story of the boy who called wolf.

Do any of us actually pay attention to the messages from these safety systems when they are constantly giving false alarms?  I gave up twelve months ago and I don't think anyone can blame me for that.  If they are important safety systems they should work full stop
Pure White Mk8 Clubsport
TD Motorsport Pro Y Spoke Wheels
1899 Software but new s/wheel & no bongs since 4/1/24

Gone: Mk7.5 GTE

Offline Carlosfandango

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #103 on: 01 March 2023, 00:23 »
Am I just lucky or is it the fact I have a MY23 car and they are have no fixed the issues, no bongs, no errors, nothing in 6 months of ownership.

*runs to touch wood*

You're not the only one touching wood! My car is older again (August 2021 build) and no bongs here. Very very occasional ones only, typically on startup but I can't remember the last time it happened.

It seems to be a totally mixed bag with no real pattern to it in terms of car's age or even the software version. I'm on 1896.

My hunch is, that it may have something to do with both age of car, software version and which hardware revision is fitted, my car is an October 2021 build (MY22) and I have never really had any of the widespread problems, I had only very rare bongs while on 1896sw, and now I’m on 1899sw (although it’s only been a few weeks) I’ve had nothing bong wise at all, I did have the infotainment crash a couple of times though just after the dealership updated the software to 1899, but since I did a soft reset on it, it’s not happened again! I think that the main problems stem from hardware issues on early cars, these cars seem to continue to have trouble even when running the later software, where as the later cars classed as MY22 onwards, which would be mid/late 2021 builds, appear to suffer far fewer problems, there have been threads where owners of early cars have been plagued by faults and notifications, but when VW had finally resulted to swapping out specific control modules to the latest revisions, the issues greatly reduced, and even stopped completely in most cases.
Current car -
Mk8 GTI DSG, Kings Red, Pan Roof, Extended Winter Pack, Rear Camera, DCC, Adelaide Reps (CMWheels), Eibach Pro-Kit Springs.

Gone -
2020 BMW M135i xDrive, Storm Bay Metallic, Pan roof, Tech pack, Pro pack, Comfort pack,
👇see it here👇
https://youtu.be/j-4x9ZxehWU

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #104 on: 01 March 2023, 05:59 »
My Golf R Mk8 was delivered december 2021.  I had no real issue for most of 2022, then the errors started to get more common near end of 2022 usually around software update time.  Usually had rear traffic alert and park sensor related errors but 2 days ago i got my first SOS alert related error flash up on my dash.  I will be glad to swap it over in a week or two for my new Tiguan R which is on older software and see how that fairs with errors related to software, hopefully its more stable as its on older more reliable tried and tested software?

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #105 on: 01 March 2023, 08:52 »
My Golf R Mk8 was delivered december 2021.  I had no real issue for most of 2022, then the errors started to get more common near end of 2022 usually around software update time.  Usually had rear traffic alert and park sensor related errors but 2 days ago i got my first SOS alert related error flash up on my dash.  I will be glad to swap it over in a week or two for my new Tiguan R which is on older software and see how that fairs with errors related to software, hopefully its more stable as its on older more reliable tried and tested software?

Won’t the Tiguan’s software get an OTA update to the latest version at some point in the near future, or do you have the option to not download the latest version?
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #106 on: 01 March 2023, 08:52 »
Sounds like a nightmare, would drive to total distraction. I had something similar on a D4, I used to dread turning the key to see what new bong of joy would happen.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #107 on: 01 March 2023, 10:23 »

Despite the fact that the Tiguan still has more of a MK7-era style interior, it does seem to be impacted by the same issues as the Mk8 unfortunately.
My Dad has a July-2021 Tiguan R-Line and he had the steering wheel replaced a few weeks ago. He was plagued with travel-assist bongs!
The Tiguan has the haptic buttons on the wheel too, same steering wheel effectively as the MK8.

MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #108 on: 01 March 2023, 11:05 »
Before taking the plunge on the Tiguan R order. I had a thorough look online and could not find much about software errors related to the tiguan.  But could find a lot about the golf Mk8.  However its good to know others first hand experiences of the tiguan related to the software, (steering wheel being replaced as a result) etc.  If the Tiguan ends up being as flakey as my current Golf R, i may stray to another brand/make of car. But even thats hard this present time with it not just being VW software which is unreliable and riddled with errors.  I have heard of some other brands suffering the same software woes as well.

Offline WelshGolf

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #109 on: 01 March 2023, 11:18 »
Before taking the plunge on the Tiguan R order. I had a thorough look online and could not find much about software errors related to the tiguan.  But could find a lot about the golf Mk8.  However its good to know others first hand experiences of the tiguan related to the software, (steering wheel being replaced as a result) etc.  If the Tiguan ends up being as flakey as my current Golf R, i may stray to another brand/make of car. But even thats hard this present time with it not just being VW software which is unreliable and riddled with errors.  I have heard of some other brands suffering the same software woes as well.

Whilst VW and the Golf specifically has taken the brunt of negative press, as you say, other brands have the same issues. I have a new Audi A3 and it's terrible, constant errors, not just bongs, but cutting engine power. It was all down to software, nothing mechanical. I know people with various VAG cars and most of them have some kind of issue, even people with Porsches!
Golf 7R - Gone
Golf 7.5 GTi - Gone
Golf 8 Clubsport - On order