Author Topic: Avon calling!  (Read 34731 times)

Offline ash_rage

• GTI forum regular
Re: Avon calling!
« Reply #90 on: 27 February 2023, 21:49 »
And in the meantime the bloody bongs are back with renewed vigour! Test drove a Civic R this morning. 😳👍 but I’m getting too old to have one…

FK8 I assume?
Golf GTI Clubsport 45 (2022)

Offline Ubique

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #91 on: 27 February 2023, 22:42 »
Yes, latest model. It was epic, but I will admit beyond my skills. Still lots of fun but not an everyday for me.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #92 on: 28 February 2023, 09:03 »
After another Day of the Bong(tm) I decided to take my obd11 to my car and see if I could see any errors...

I had a load, all to do with lost connectivity between controllers....

I've cleared the lot, lets see what happens next.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline M6TT F

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #93 on: 28 February 2023, 09:07 »
Same here. Really starting to piss me off now. Travel assist and SOS alert about 10 times on a 2 mile school run. Are all VAG cars running this software  plagued by this?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #94 on: 28 February 2023, 09:25 »
Are all VAG cars running this software  plagued by this?

Yes, not just Golfs
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline M6TT F

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #95 on: 28 February 2023, 09:48 »
Hmm. I was toying with the idea of chopping it in for a Formentor VZ2/3, but if it’s the same story in a different shell…. Not much else I’m interested in from any manufacturer at the moment in this price bracket

Offline Kenis

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #96 on: 28 February 2023, 10:35 »
Just wondering out loud here, but does anyone have any view of whether the recent bong explosion has been replicated in southern Europe and separately in Scandinavia?

The fact that for many it was fine for weeks then started up again may be due to the positioning of the satellites serving the gps and acting as a link and the recent active solar radiation (which has also caused the northern lights being visible in the Uk).

One way to confirm would be to see if it’s been experienced by owners further south or if doesn’t happen when there is either full connection or no connection at all.

Still should be rectified with software though that is better able to handle the intermittent signals or not require constant checking. Could of course just be poor code related. Either way got to hold out hope they will be fixed eventually and can be applied to early hardware cars
Ordered Apr-21 Arrived Mar-23: MK8 GTI Clubsport, Dolphin, Estorils plus other options

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #97 on: 28 February 2023, 10:50 »
Hmm. I was toying with the idea of chopping it in for a Formentor VZ2/3, but if it’s the same story in a a different shell…. Not much else I’m interested in from any manufacturer at the moment in this price bracket

Many Formentor owners over on the Seat Cupra forum have had similar software related gremlins to those experienced by Golf owners. Also, if your were considering a new factory order Formentor, the wait times aren’t that different to the wait times for a performance Golf.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline WelshGolf

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #98 on: 28 February 2023, 12:50 »
Am I just lucky or is it the fact I have a MY23 car and they are have no fixed the issues, no bongs, no errors, nothing in 6 months of ownership.

*runs to touch wood*
Golf 7R - Gone
Golf 7.5 GTi - Gone
Golf 8 Clubsport - On order

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #99 on: 28 February 2023, 13:09 »
Am I just lucky or is it the fact I have a MY23 car and they are have no fixed the issues, no bongs, no errors, nothing in 6 months of ownership.

*runs to touch wood*

You're not the only one touching wood! My car is older again (August 2021 build) and no bongs here. Very very occasional ones only, typically on startup but I can't remember the last time it happened.

It seems to be a totally mixed bag with no real pattern to it in terms of car's age or even the software version. I'm on 1896.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.