Author Topic: Avon calling!  (Read 33611 times)

Offline Carl_45

• GTI forum regular
Re: Avon calling!
« Reply #80 on: 22 February 2023, 19:19 »
If you’re not bothered about the space and want to save the planet whilst having some fun…. I’ve seen good reviews about the Mini-E?

I had a 2nd gen (R56) Mini Cooper followed by the 1st Mini GP back when I was early 20s, the first was good, the latter was epic. Both drove like go karts.
Current: Clubsport 45, Kings Red, DCC, HK, Winter Pack

Offline Ubique

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #81 on: 22 February 2023, 19:48 »
Aside from the bongs, how did the E-Tech drive ubique?
I was plagued by my local dealer to take a test drive when they were launched and despite my initial curiosity I couldn’t be bothered as I don’t like wasting sales people’s time and work was a train wreck at the time so I’d not have committed to buy one even if I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. Fair play to the dealers though, they phoned and emailed me day in and day out!
I actually liked it, the interior was a good place to be in. Felt very stylish, buttons were nice. I really liked the exterior, it was a technique spec, so I think mid range but had 20 inch alloys, paint was good and I saw lots of people turning heads.
Acceleration was not far off my base GTI and ride was good. Def not a GTI but I definitely felt I could own one.
Renault bod was honest about range, 230 realistic as he had one as his fleet car. Fast charging possible too. Only issue is apparently bad depreciation but it is a slightly left field choice. I did miss the engine noise but it was very responsive although I assume that batters the range…

Offline Ubique

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #82 on: 22 February 2023, 19:53 »
Sorry, Techo spec. Takes me back to the 90s lol

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #83 on: 22 February 2023, 20:44 »
Aside from the bongs, how did the E-Tech drive ubique?
I was plagued by my local dealer to take a test drive when they were launched and despite my initial curiosity I couldn’t be bothered as I don’t like wasting sales people’s time and work was a train wreck at the time so I’d not have committed to buy one even if I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. Fair play to the dealers though, they phoned and emailed me day in and day out!
I actually liked it, the interior was a good place to be in. Felt very stylish, buttons were nice. I really liked the exterior, it was a technique spec, so I think mid range but had 20 inch alloys, paint was good and I saw lots of people turning heads.
Acceleration was not far off my base GTI and ride was good. Def not a GTI but I definitely felt I could own one.
Renault bod was honest about range, 230 realistic as he had one as his fleet car. Fast charging possible too. Only issue is apparently bad depreciation but it is a slightly left field choice. I did miss the engine noise but it was very responsive although I assume that batters the range…

I regularly see a metallic red one in the car park at a supermarket I use. It’s the only one I’ve seen ‘in the metal’ and IMHO it looks really nice and quite stylish and upmarket. The alloys look huge so I’m assuming theyre 20”.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #84 on: 23 February 2023, 13:31 »
If you’re not bothered about the space and want to save the planet whilst having some fun…. I’ve seen good reviews about the Mini-E?

I had a 2nd gen (R56) Mini Cooper followed by the 1st Mini GP back when I was early 20s, the first was good, the latter was epic. Both drove like go karts.

Funnily enough I still have semi regular contact with Mini as I looked very closely at getting an Electric a few times now.
Size is a slight issue but range is a much bigger one, however the sheer fun these cars are to drive would make me forgive most shortcomings. If I still had a second car I’d have had a Mini Electric in an instant. Love them!
(Had an R56 as a second car for years and had an F56 Cooper SD for a brief time whilst I was waiting for a Golf to be built)

Thanks Ubique.
Definitely a contender then.

You can never have “too big” a wheel!

I’ve still yet to see one in the flesh.
I see loads of MG4’s about so supply must be good on those but not a single E-Tech.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Ubique

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #85 on: 23 February 2023, 14:59 »
Just had my quote back from Renault. New Megane Techno spec, paint but no other options.
PCH One month deposit, 3 years, 15k/year. = £736/month!!!
The sales guy came back with the paperwork and said he couldn’t believe the result. So the Megane is a no no.

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #86 on: 23 February 2023, 15:23 »
Just had my quote back from Renault. New Megane Techno spec, paint but no other options.
The sales guy came back with the paperwork and said he couldn’t believe the result. So the Megane is a no no.

Can only think singles on good incomes or those with massive pension pots or inheritance could afford some of these £700-£1000 a month quotes that see, and these are not for exotic cars, just something with a little more performance etc than the normal, especially in a cost of living crisis.

Hard to think not that long ago really, some were paying less than a £200, think that bubble has burst.
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #87 on: 23 February 2023, 15:34 »

Crumbs! No wonder you don’t see many about.

Kinda makes you realise why VW et al are pushing things like the ‘all in one’ scheme which is basically a finance product that involves the owner keeping their own car longer rather than getting a new one which a) will take an age to be built and b ) will be unaffordable anyway.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #88 on: 23 February 2023, 16:17 »
Only issue is apparently bad depreciation

Hence the terrible PCH/PCP....
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Ubique

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #89 on: 27 February 2023, 21:05 »
And in the meantime the bloody bongs are back with renewed vigour! Test drove a Civic R this morning. 😳👍 but I’m getting too old to have one…