Author Topic: Avon calling!  (Read 34722 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Avon calling!
« Reply #70 on: 21 February 2023, 20:44 »
100% that Carl.
Bearing in mind excessive wait times I’m acutely aware my warranty is ticking down now so will be chasing VW non stop in case my car is still with me after the 3 years.
Without the bongs I’d have been happy to keep it but right now I’m wondering where to go next.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #71 on: 21 February 2023, 22:24 »
Shame as you say the rest of the car you like (apart from odd squeek and rattle)
It is really sad to read about all the issues  :embarrassed:
« Last Edit: 21 February 2023, 22:40 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #72 on: 22 February 2023, 09:03 »
If it was me, I'd get shot of the car before the warranty expires. VW aren't exactly renowned for being reasonable with issues outside of warranty and given the updates seem to bring different problems each time, the problems will change. Can anyone honestly say they think that VW would change steering wheels foc for instance if the update that brought that issue up had occured at 3.5 years?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #73 on: 22 February 2023, 10:40 »
If it was me, I'd get shot of the car before the warranty expires. VW aren't exactly renowned for being reasonable with issues outside of warranty and given the updates seem to bring different problems each time, the problems will change. Can anyone honestly say they think that VW would change steering wheels foc for instance if the update that brought that issue up had occured at 3.5 years?

Mentioned this on VWROC forum and did not get a response, so maybe everyone does not see it as an issue or acknowledge its an issue?

I will likely be handing my company car back and looking for something decent second hand, and after enjoying the virtues of FWD with the TCR and now 128Ti, aiming to return to AWD and be willing to go for anything decent 2016-20 and the cars in the frame are Golf R and M135i but have completely excluded the MK 8 R as an option given all that have seen here and on VWROC

Its obvious the car drives great, so that's not the reason, the main reason is that given the breadth of issues with MK 8 picking up an early one will highly likely still have issues and even with a 2 year warranty from a main dealer, you feel that will just mean you can at least have issues looked at for 2 years, if can be bothered to.

Personally not willing to take the risk and subject myself to that, it be like buying a house on a flood plain next to a river, you would not do it?

Most people who buy these cars have some knowledge of the car beyond the standard walk up buyer who likes the look of it and so you would think most of buyers in second hand market would be pretty informed to the issues.

Cars like these are in demand though given the shortages, so maybe that alone offsets any issues in selling them on at good prices, but there is no doubt its a risky purchase

Hopefully the MK 8.5 will finally see the back of the issues, so for any new buyer, the car will be what it should have been, but MK 8, will maybe a second hand pariah in coming years

It will be a MK 7/7.5 R for me or a M135I X Drive depending on best car and deal see at time
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #74 on: 22 February 2023, 11:13 »

Agree 100% with this.

It wouldn’t surprise me if VW wash their hands of software related issues on earlier cars once the factory warranty has expired. At the very least, anyone who’s thinking of owning a mk8 Golf after the original factory warranty has expired should seriously consider getting a good, comprehensive warranty and check the small print very carefully before buying to make sure it would cover fixing software-related gremlins and glitches. Most of these aftermarket or extended warranty products limit cover to sudden and unexpected electrical and mechanical failures, so if software issues aren’t considered to be either electrical or mechanical - or if there’s a specific exclusion of software related issues - they wouldn’t be covered.

Like you, I’d get rid of the car before the warranty expires.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Carl_45

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #75 on: 22 February 2023, 11:52 »
It is a real shame. The clubsport would have gone down in history as one of the best ever GTIs if it wasn’t for these issues.

I’m by no means commercially or legally savvy (so might be talking rubbish), but, I thought the consumer rights act says something about fit for purpose for the expected life of the product which is different to warranty. I wonder if there’s something like that, that can be invoked??

My sister is sh!t hot on this and complained to apple that her Apple Watch let water in 1 year after the warranty had expired, because the expected life of the seals is longer than 3 years. She got a new watch! Point is, should such issues be expected after 37 months, or, should the hardware life expectancy be longer? I’d have thought over five years at least is expected.
Current: Clubsport 45, Kings Red, DCC, HK, Winter Pack

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #76 on: 22 February 2023, 13:45 »
I guess in a few years the ambulance chasers will be appearing on TV adverts asking “did you buy a VW Golf between 2019 and 20**? If so you could be entitled to compensation…”

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #77 on: 22 February 2023, 13:48 »
It is a real shame. The clubsport would have gone down in history as one of the best ever GTIs if it wasn’t for these issues.

I’m by no means commercially or legally savvy (so might be talking rubbish), but, I thought the consumer rights act says something about fit for purpose for the expected life of the product which is different to warranty. I wonder if there’s something like that, that can be invoked??

My sister is sh!t hot on this and complained to apple that her Apple Watch let water in 1 year after the warranty had expired, because the expected life of the seals is longer than 3 years. She got a new watch! Point is, should such issues be expected after 37 months, or, should the hardware life expectancy be longer? I’d have thought over five years at least is expected.

Yep I think you're right there. A few years ago I also had a problem with an Apple product (an iPhone) which was well out of warranty, it was at least 2.5 years old, and they replaced it, no quibble! They actually told me of my consumer rights, not the other way round and they were happy to replace the phone, subject to my assurance that it hadn't been tampered with / water damaged, etc. I can't remember the exact period of time a product should be "fit for purpose" but it's at least 5 years, possibly longer.

MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Ubique

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #78 on: 22 February 2023, 15:31 »
I had a test drive in a brand new Renault Megane E today. That had software issues and “Bonged” a lot during the drive, much to the embarrassment of the chap from Renault. It did have some buttons though lol.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #79 on: 22 February 2023, 16:36 »
Aside from the bongs, how did the E-Tech drive ubique?
I was plagued by my local dealer to take a test drive when they were launched and despite my initial curiosity I couldn’t be bothered as I don’t like wasting sales people’s time and work was a train wreck at the time so I’d not have committed to buy one even if I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. Fair play to the dealers though, they phoned and emailed me day in and day out!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner