Author Topic: Avon calling!  (Read 34674 times)

Offline BillSan

• Here all the time
Re: Avon calling!
« Reply #50 on: 13 February 2023, 17:00 »
Finally an update.
After a couple of bongless weeks they came back with a vengeance on Sunday which was fortunate timing as I was booked into VW today.

After a couple of hours driving a gutless bucket of jelly in the form of a Diesel Tiguan DSG loan car it was soooo nice to be back at the helm of the GTI which suddenly felt so taut, responsive and quick!

And next time someone starts criticising the interior of the mk8 I can categorically say the mk7 era cars actually aren’t all that either. Some of the plastics on the Tig are definitely low rent.

Anyhow, the diagnosis was as expected - new steering wheel on order.

I fully expect to hear that the new steering wheel has made no difference, but I hope I'm wrong.

My Mk8 experience has closely followed yours so I'll be looking a new wheel too if it does work.  Doesn't seem to have worked for anyone else though.  :sad:
Pure White Mk8 Clubsport
TD Motorsport Pro Y Spoke Wheels
1899 Software but new s/wheel & no bongs since 4/1/24

Gone: Mk7.5 GTE

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #51 on: 13 February 2023, 18:11 »
Did the Tiguan bong though  :evil:

Well, I was greeted with a bong when I fired it up - low fuel warning!!  :grin:

Aside from that, bong (and rattle & squeak) free.

I fully expect to hear that the new steering wheel has made no difference, but I hope I'm wrong.

My Mk8 experience has closely followed yours so I'll be looking a new wheel too if it does work.  Doesn't seem to have worked for anyone else though.  :sad:

I will admit to not feeling overly optimistic  :grin:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Online fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #52 on: 13 February 2023, 20:56 »
If you are getting the same travel assist and emergency assist bong tsunami I've got then I think the likelihood of it being the steering wheel is virtually zero.

The last few days have been hell and I ever saw a return of the kmh speed limit screw up too.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #53 on: 13 February 2023, 23:31 »
I don't know how you all can put up with it, It would drive me nuts. If it was me I would have to take a step back into a 7.5TCR and just hope they sort out the 8.5
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #54 on: 14 February 2023, 05:34 »
My late 2021 Golf R MK8, was error free until recent.  Now progressively becoming more common, I am getting Park Distance error, and Rear Traffic Alert error amonst some other more random errors now and again.  They are also intermitent which is frustrating and always happen when car is updating or has updated.  It almost lures you to a false sense of reliability, before reminding you its not.  I did not buy a £40+ car to have unreliable features decide to work when they felt like it... I would happily go back to my old MK7 Golf R if i had the chance right now.  I am starting to lose my passion for cars with all this, as what else is there on the market right now which we can be certain is stable and possibly affordable?  :undecided:

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #55 on: 14 February 2023, 08:16 »
I don't know how you all can put up with it, It would drive me nuts. If it was me I would have to take a step back into a 7.5TCR and just hope they sort out the 8.5

I’m with you Snoopy - I couldn’t handle owning a car with incessant ‘bongs’ and false error messages, even if the car was extremely accomplished dynamically.

I’d be looking at alternatives.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #56 on: 14 February 2023, 11:37 »
Those members that have been on here a few years will well know my previous habits of chopping and changing cars on a whim. I rarely had any car for more than 18 months and some I kept for literally a few months.
Times and circumstances change but even ignoring that there is literally nothing else that particularly appeals to me within any price bracket never mind just things I could potentially afford.
Going back to a mk7 era car doesn’t appeal as the provenance of the car would be unknown to me unless it was a cherished car from someone I knew and trusted, which in turn would mean it would be too expensive!
An RS3 is silly money now. It’s about the only thing that would float my boat, but how long for I can’t answer once the novelty had worn off. Would it wear off, or would I be smitten?
A new mk8 would be an aeon on the waiting list and potentially have exactly the same issues. Plus they’ve gone up too much in £££££
So yes, I’ve thought about changing the car but dynamically the Clubby is excellent and I gelled with it from day one, so although I have zero confidence in VW fixing the faults I’ll probably stick it out. Probably.
I did say probably…
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline M6TT F

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #57 on: 14 February 2023, 11:38 »
Mine had a spate of traffic alert / SOS bongs yesterday, chiming at me continuously for a short journey. Nothing today. These annoyances do spoil an otherwise good car. Will be looking to move mine on in the summer whilst they’re still holding good value

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #58 on: 14 February 2023, 13:45 »

And next time someone starts criticising the interior of the mk8 I can categorically say the mk7 era cars actually aren’t all that either. Some of the plastics on the Tig are definitely low rent.

Fully agree. My wife has a T-Roc and my parents a Tiguan and I swap between those 2 cars and my MK8 on a regular basis. The T-Roc is also more of a Mk7-generation interior, similar (but much more low rent) than the Tiguan. The Tiguan definitely has low rent plastics in abundance and the T-Roc has acres of it  :grin:

However, as much as it pains me to admit it, the ergonomics in both cars are just a lot better than the Mk8. The MK7-style climate controls are so simple and intuitive. The infotainment screen looks more primitive (lower resolution) but its a lot simpler to use...
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #59 on: 14 February 2023, 14:47 »
The Tiguan I had the brief use of had the newer climate controls which were touch sensitive rather than the earlier rotary ones which I much prefer. The touch sensitive ones require one’s eyes to leave the road for too long in my opinion as they’re mounted low down. Probably ok for small temperature adjustments but not so good for bigger.
I’ve always got on pretty well with the mk8 clima, mind you I don’t fiddle with it much. It’s set for 17°c and left there summer and winter. When I’m doing a 5am start-up sometimes I need to put the front screen blower on for a bit but that’s conveniently located with the only moan being it’s not a proper button. Does the job though.
I don’t have seat heaters and with the fluffy seats I don’t find any call for them. The heated steering wheel is heaven though.

The facelifted T-Rocs have better plastics don’t they? I very briefly sat in a work colleague’s SEAT Arona a couple of years ago which is basically the same thing and quite liked the interior of that. He’s now got an MG4 on order. I’m looking forward to seeing that.

I have a big soft spot for T-Roc R’s. I might consider one of those in the right spec but would need the black exterior styling pack and heated steering wheel  :grin:
It’s not the sort of car I’d keep long but would be fun for a winter or two.

It’s funny how you notice the low resolution displays in certain models only once you’ve lived with a mk8 for a bit. The resolution seemed fine when it was the only choice just a couple of years ago!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner