Author Topic: What have you done to your mk8 today?  (Read 121542 times)

Online BillSan

• Here all the time
Re: What have you done to your mk8 today?
« Reply #800 on: 01 February 2024, 10:50 »
New tyres fitted yesterday - Goodyear Asymetric 6 - to replace the hideous no brand ones the dealer fitted when I bought the car. Handling was a bit of a lottery in the damp/wet 😬

Anyway, only done 10 miles in them so far, but initial impressions are good.  I’m a bit old school and like to break new tyres in, so will se what they’re properly like in a couple of weeks time.

I had the same 6 months ago - no regrets, very good tyres, good grip and much quieter than the original Potenzas.
Pure White Mk8 Clubsport
TD Motorsport Pro Y Spoke Wheels
1899 Software but new s/wheel & no bongs since 4/1/24

Gone: Mk7.5 GTE

Offline davo245

• Here all the time
« Reply #801 on: 02 February 2024, 07:14 »
I believe I have resolved the ongoing rattle I've been experiencing, I didn't resolve this earlier as the continuing bongs far outweighed a minor rattle, anyway the source of the rattle might be helpful to others.
The rattle was coming from a small plastic clip at the end of the slider rail for the front passenger seat, the piece of plastic was slightly loose so a strategically place piece of paper has stopped this irritation, accessible from the rear door, the piece of plastic is at the very rear of the slider rail.
Oh and another thing, the undertray (part of the current recall) was also replaced last week when they changed my steering wheel.

What is the undergraduate recall what year crs does that effect?
Mk6 GTI DSG
MK7.5 GTI performance DSG
Mk8 GTI

Offline Dav3smith

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #802 on: 02 February 2024, 07:41 »
I believe I have resolved the ongoing rattle I've been experiencing, I didn't resolve this earlier as the continuing bongs far outweighed a minor rattle, anyway the source of the rattle might be helpful to others.
The rattle was coming from a small plastic clip at the end of the slider rail for the front passenger seat, the piece of plastic was slightly loose so a strategically place piece of paper has stopped this irritation, accessible from the rear door, the piece of plastic is at the very rear of the slider rail.
Oh and another thing, the undertray (part of the current recall) was also replaced last week when they changed my steering wheel.
See link to heat protection mat to give it its correct title
https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=290274.0

What is the undergraduate recall what year crs does that effect?
GTI Clubsport ED45 DBP, DCC, HK, WP, Pano

Gone Golf R 7.5
Gone GTI 7

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #803 on: 09 February 2024, 21:19 »
Had the steering wheel replaced finally... So far so good...

Also had a discussion about bloody allow laquer bubbling... And they tried to tell me that water was the root cause. Warranty claim argument begins but basically he told me that vw considers alloy wheels as a part that wears out without any damage.... In under three years.

Bloody diamond cut rubbish.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #804 on: 09 February 2024, 21:38 »
Had the steering wheel replaced finally... So far so good...

Also had a discussion about bloody allow laquer bubbling... And they tried to tell me that water was the root cause. Warranty claim argument begins but basically he told me that vw considers alloy wheels as a part that wears out without any damage.... In under three years.

Bloody diamond cut rubbish.

Interesting how VW have changed their stance on alloy wheel warranty claims over the years. I had a couple replaced under warranty some years ago (the dreaded white worm) - no questions asked.

I’ve said it before but I’ll say it again…………..(Exonian, please note! :grin:) I hate diamond cut alloys with a passion - crap durability and susceptible to white worm, easily damaged by tyre fitters and more costly to refurbish than painted / powder coated alloys. It’s possible to make decent looking painted / powder coated alloys with good durability, so why do VW - and other car manufacturers - have such an obsession with diamond cut crap and persist in forcing them on us!  :angry:.

Rant over! Just my opinion though :whistle:.

Note to VW; I’ve never had any painted / powder coated alloys wear out in under three years; they’ve always looked pretty much as good as new when I’ve sold them - or sold a car with them fitted - at 4.5 - 5 years old.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #805 on: 09 February 2024, 21:48 »
I said to him that diamond cut was rubbish and he said "people want them because they look good" and every oem uses them.

If I've gotta pay for refurb they are getting powder coated!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #806 on: 09 February 2024, 22:16 »
I said to him that diamond cut was rubbish and he said "people want them because they look good" and every oem uses them.

If I've gotta pay for refurb they are getting powder coated!

Good decision IMHO to get them powder coated if VW won’t entertain replacing them under warranty.

As for people wanting them because the look good - they might look good in the dealership showroom if you’re into that ‘bling’ look (I’m not!). They invariably don’t look so good after a couple of UK winters and winter road conditions though, even if they’re well cared for.

Such is my dislike of diamond cut alloys, I’ve bought a set of powder coated alloys for each of my last three cars within a few weeks of getting the car. The bling diamond cut alloys are put into storage and don’t go back on the car until it’s time for me to sell it. I suppose a set of factory fresh diamond cut alloys on a 4.5 - 5 year old car makes it look good to prospective buyers if they’re into ‘bling’.……….
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #807 on: 09 February 2024, 22:19 »
I should have done that really from new... But I ummed and ahhed too much  :cry:

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #808 on: 10 February 2024, 11:55 »
I'm not sure VW's stance has changed, or whether you've just got a sh!te warranty manager at your dealership who's scared that they won't get reimbursed by VW UK.

I haven't made a claim lately, but if I kept a VAG car more than 2.5 years with diamond cut alloys, white worm was inevitable. My local VW dealerships are Lookers and Pulman, Lookers rebuff pretty much every non mechanical warranty fix, Pulman were no bother - got a few new sets of alloys for whiteworm via Pulman.

Current worry is I'm now in an Audi and my nearest non-Lookers Audi dealership is 90 miles away (JCT600 -York).
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #809 on: 10 February 2024, 21:49 »
(Exonian, please note! :grin:)

Since when have I followed my own advice never mind listened to anyone else’s sense?! 😁

I like bling!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner