Author Topic: Cracked sunroof surround  (Read 58306 times)

Offline Keano16

• Just got here
Re: Cracked sunroof surround
« Reply #120 on: 13 September 2020, 16:50 »
Hello,

has anyone manages to repair this for free OUT of warranty? As this is obviously design/construction flaw.

Thanks

Offline golf steve

• Just got here
« Reply #121 on: 15 October 2020, 15:01 »
Golf Steve, I am in the same position as you and totally furious about the whole thing. 

I’ve got a 2019 White Golf GTI TCR and noticed a crack on the surround in about April this year.  Took it to a approved VW repair shop to be told this is a warranty claim and to go back to the dealer which I did.  They refused to accept it stating they have no idea how it happened but it must be an external event even though there is not a scratch/dent/chip anywhere near the crack and refused to accept liability.  I went to VW UK who said they have no knowledge of this being an issue with other cars and took sides with the dealer refusing to accept it and stated they wouldn’t accept information contained on a web forum as evidence of this issue 😒

I was wondering if anyone with this issue is based in Scotland so I can try another dealer here or what to do next?

Louise 46,  I don’t have good news.  No resolution with VW, raised a case with motor ombudsman, but this can take a year to get to conclusion.  Also got a quote for repair from VW, £1200.  In the mean time I bought a new Lexus,  I don’t have time to waste on this and would not give VW a penny for this repair. 
Will never buy a VW/Audi again. 

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #122 on: 16 October 2020, 19:33 »
Nobody could blame you for that golf steve, you’ve been treated appallingly.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #123 on: 16 October 2020, 20:52 »
Nobody could blame you for that golf steve, you’ve been treated appallingly.

The inconsistency of how different customers with the same issues are treated is just sh!te.

I do think that half the time it's an uncooperative dealer who either can't be bothered to raise the issue with VW UK or make a sh!te job of explaining the issue to VW UK to get their funding support.

I've experienced this first hand with Lookers/Benfield (sh!te) and Pulman (great) on a few occasions.

I still think that someone's paperwork who got this done under warranty is the only way to convince a dealership that it is a common issue, not caused by in use damage.

Even if a stone chip could cause these cracks (and impact damage could be seen), that would still demonstrate that the part is not robust enough to be fit for purpose.

If VW carry on treating customers so shabbily, they'll lose customers wholesale. There should be a quicker and easier way to escalate an issue like this.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline TurboTrev

• I live here
« Reply #124 on: 31 October 2020, 11:25 »
Golf Steve, I am in the same position as you and totally furious about the whole thing. 

I’ve got a 2019 White Golf GTI TCR and noticed a crack on the surround in about April this year.  Took it to a approved VW repair shop to be told this is a warranty claim and to go back to the dealer which I did.  They refused to accept it stating they have no idea how it happened but it must be an external event even though there is not a scratch/dent/chip anywhere near the crack and refused to accept liability.  I went to VW UK who said they have no knowledge of this being an issue with other cars and took sides with the dealer refusing to accept it and stated they wouldn’t accept information contained on a web forum as evidence of this issue 😒

I was wondering if anyone with this issue is based in Scotland so I can try another dealer here or what to do next?
Just wondering whether you've managed to resolve this yet?  It's disgusting that VW will accept responsibilty for some people with this problem but not for others.

Has anyone else failed to get this issue fixed under warranty? 

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #125 on: 31 October 2020, 12:35 »
It's disgusting that VW will accept responsibilty for some people with this problem but not for others.

Absolutely, however I feel that it's as much if not more down to the dealers not being onside and presenting the case properly. For the two on here unfortunately reporting VW not accepting responsibility, I read that both dealers were negative about it being a warranty claim from get go. In those circumstances it's hardly surprising VW aren't treating them as warranty claims.

I too hope Louise76 has got the right resolution finally.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline turnipandchips

• Not said much yet
« Reply #126 on: 13 January 2021, 09:13 »
Resurrecting an old thread.
Well have just noticed mine has cracked on the drivers side, 69 plate TCR.
Its going in for its first service on Friday so will see how that goes.
« Last Edit: 13 January 2021, 09:26 by turnipandchips »
Tornado Red 2020 Golf TCR, Westfield with Vauxhall power!

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #127 on: 13 January 2021, 11:49 »
I hope you get it sorted satisfactorily. Is your dealer sensible?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline turnipandchips

• Not said much yet
« Reply #128 on: 13 January 2021, 12:40 »
I hope you get it sorted satisfactorily. Is your dealer sensible?

I hope so, Its been nearly a year trouble free motoring upto now.
I bought it from a dealer in Hereford (unregistered stock car to the spec I was looking for) so this will be my first dealings with my local dealer so will see.
Tornado Red 2020 Golf TCR, Westfield with Vauxhall power!

Offline CookieMonsterGTi

• Here all the time
« Reply #129 on: 13 January 2021, 15:29 »
Sounds like it will be a case of when not if my goes the same way.

Will really take the shine off the car if this happens as already had water come in to rear footwell and door handles needed to be replaced and painted as were not returning to the closed position...

TCR here as well.
Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG
19" 'Reifnitz' Alloys Including DCC
Climate Windscreen
Panoramic Sunroof
90% Rear Tinted Glass