Author Topic: Cracked sunroof surround  (Read 58296 times)

Offline Louise76

• Just got here
Re: Cracked sunroof surround
« Reply #110 on: 08 September 2020, 13:21 »
Golf Steve, I am in the same position as you and totally furious about the whole thing. 

I’ve got a 2019 White Golf GTI TCR and noticed a crack on the surround in about April this year.  Took it to a approved VW repair shop to be told this is a warranty claim and to go back to the dealer which I did.  They refused to accept it stating they have no idea how it happened but it must be an external event even though there is not a scratch/dent/chip anywhere near the crack and refused to accept liability.  I went to VW UK who said they have no knowledge of this being an issue with other cars and took sides with the dealer refusing to accept it and stated they wouldn’t accept information contained on a web forum as evidence of this issue 😒

I was wondering if anyone with this issue is based in Scotland so I can try another dealer here or what to do next? 

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #111 on: 08 September 2020, 13:42 »
Golf Steve, I am in the same position as you and totally furious about the whole thing. 

I’ve got a 2019 White Golf GTI TCR and noticed a crack on the surround in about April this year.  Took it to a approved VW repair shop to be told this is a warranty claim and to go back to the dealer which I did.  They refused to accept it stating they have no idea how it happened but it must be an external event even though there is not a scratch/dent/chip anywhere near the crack and refused to accept liability.  I went to VW UK who said they have no knowledge of this being an issue with other cars and took sides with the dealer refusing to accept it and stated they wouldn’t accept information contained on a web forum as evidence of this issue 😒

I was wondering if anyone with this issue is based in Scotland so I can try another dealer here or what to do next?

Might be better off asking if anyone here got worksheets folliwing a fix that you could take a copy of and go back to VW UK with. Welcome to the world of sh!te and inconsistent application of warranty coverage that comes with VW ownership.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #112 on: 08 September 2020, 18:13 »
Sorry to hear the problems you are having Louise76, I hope it gets resolved for you soon.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #113 on: 10 September 2020, 16:21 »
Collected mine today, all sorted under warranty, everything looks good so far. Fingers crossed that this is the end of the matter. To those that are having problems still, I sincerely hope they are resolved soon.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #114 on: 10 September 2020, 17:38 »
In case it helps, having just had another look at the new panel, it looks to me that either there is a different seal being used or it has been fitted differently. When I dropped the car off the service assistant said she'd found out that the panels were being fitted incorrectly at the factory and it was to do with positioning. Now I can't say what she said was true but it does seem to be substantiated by what I'm seeing. The first two photos are from Feb when I first noticed the cracks and the seal is clearly visible and sits much higher up. In the second two photos you can hardly see the seal. Perhaps that will now give the panel more room to expand with heat? I'm only surmising but that could be the answer.

2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #115 on: 10 September 2020, 18:49 »

Try going back to the VW approved body shop that you spoke to previously and asking for their support? How do they know it's a warranty job and have they done any repairs themselves?
7.5 GTD

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #116 on: 10 September 2020, 18:53 »
In case it helps, having just had another look at the new panel, it looks to me that either there is a different seal being used or it has been fitted differently. When I dropped the car off the service assistant said she'd found out that the panels were being fitted incorrectly at the factory and it was to do with positioning. Now I can't say what she said was true but it does seem to be substantiated by what I'm seeing. The first two photos are from Feb when I first noticed the cracks and the seal is clearly visible and sits much higher up. In the second two photos you can hardly see the seal. Perhaps that will now give the panel more room to expand with heat? I'm only surmising but that could be the answer.

Looks good Watts. Hopefully that's the end of the matter and you can get back to enjoying your car.
7.5 GTD

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #117 on: 11 September 2020, 16:46 »
Good news Watts, glad it’s all done and sorted.
Hopefully a full and permanent fix. They at least sound a bit clued up in regards to the seal seating.

I hope everyone else suffering the same issue gets a fully warranted proper fix too.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #118 on: 11 September 2020, 17:24 »
Hopefully a full and permanent fix. They at least sound a bit clued up in regards to the seal seating.

I hope everyone else suffering the same issue gets a fully warranted proper fix too.

I’ll second that.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #119 on: 11 September 2020, 18:55 »
Looks good Watts. Hopefully that's the end of the matter and you can get back to enjoying your car.

I’ll second that.

Cheers chaps :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.