Author Topic: For those of you with Blind Spot (Side) Assist  (Read 5900 times)

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
For those of you with Blind Spot (Side) Assist
« on: 18 June 2019, 11:46 »
When I ordered my car last year, the cost of getting Side Assist /Blind Spot Assist meant I had to chuck £1300 at the Lane Assist 'Plus' pack, and there was no retrofit available. With that in mind I thought I'd give it a miss (as it would take me into the £40k+ territory) and I'd see if I could live without it.

Having now done lots of miles I'm finding that I'm missing it on my motorway journeys, and I see there is now a retrofit kit available which VW have confirmed to me they can also supply & fit at my local dealer so it doesn't impact my warranty...

http://vagtec.co.uk/eshop/genuine-volkswagen-oem-retrofit-kit-blind-spot-assist-vw-golf-7-5g.html

... but before ordering (and potentially wasting my money on something that doesn't work as I expect/hope!), for those who have it, how do you find it... is the VW system any good, is it reliable and not overly sensitive? On my previous car it was excellent, it wasn't over-cautious and it allowed me to dart in and out of gaps on the motorway with ease.

:)
« Last Edit: 18 June 2019, 12:08 by kmpowell »
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
Re: For those of you with Blind Spot (Side) Assist
« Reply #1 on: 18 June 2019, 18:19 »
Mine seems good, as you pass a light comes on in your mirror and while the lights on if you try to pull in the light flashes and the steering wheel gives a little tug to try and keep you in lane, what more is needed?

ianj37

« Reply #2 on: 18 June 2019, 19:53 »
Excellent news that blind spot assist can be retro fitted as I bought a pre reg GTI in April and I miss it (had it on Ford Focus). kmpowell - can I ask what the cost of the kit if supplied by VW is?
Thanks

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 18 June 2019, 20:18 »
Just read this

Only for left-hand drive vehicles

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 18 June 2019, 21:14 »
When I ordered my car last year, the cost of getting Side Assist /Blind Spot Assist meant I had to chuck £1300 at the Lane Assist 'Plus' pack, and there was no retrofit available. With that in mind I thought I'd give it a miss (as it would take me into the £40k+ territory) and I'd see if I could live without it.

Having now done lots of miles I'm finding that I'm missing it on my motorway journeys, and I see there is now a retrofit kit available which VW have confirmed to me they can also supply & fit at my local dealer so it doesn't impact my warranty...

http://vagtec.co.uk/eshop/genuine-volkswagen-oem-retrofit-kit-blind-spot-assist-vw-golf-7-5g.html

... but before ordering (and potentially wasting my money on something that doesn't work as I expect/hope!), for those who have it, how do you find it... is the VW system any good, is it reliable and not overly sensitive? On my previous car it was excellent, it wasn't over-cautious and it allowed me to dart in and out of gaps on the motorway with ease.

:)

Honestly, I don't think it's worth it. Not had it before and won't spec it again. I think the sensors are well judged though and reliable. I usually pull in when I see the full car I'm overtaking in my offside mirror and this seems about in line with what deactivates the sensors. I've been meaning to have a play with it and see if there are configuration options but personally, I find going through the process of checking mirrors/blindspot and so on keeps me alert, particularly on a long drive.
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 19 June 2019, 11:01 »
Excellent news that blind spot assist can be retro fitted as I bought a pre reg GTI in April and I miss it (had it on Ford Focus). kmpowell - can I ask what the cost of the kit if supplied by VW is?
Thanks
Like you, I miss it from my previous car, it makes motorway driving so much easier, particularly when it's busy.

They've not come back to me with an total price yet, but they said that if I can get the part numbers needed, then indicatively it should be 2-3hrs labour on top of the part cost, which includes the coding required. I'm prepared to pay up to £800 max for this I think.
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 19 June 2019, 11:17 »
Thanks
Like you, I miss it from my previous car, it makes motorway driving so much easier, particularly when it's busy.

They've not come back to me with an total price yet, but they said that if I can get the part numbers needed, then indicatively it should be 2-3hrs labour on top of the part cost, which includes the coding required. I'm prepared to pay up to £800 max for this I think.

Jesus christ, £800 to save turning your head? ETTO

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 19 June 2019, 11:24 »
Thanks

Jesus christ, £800 to save turning your head? ETTO
£800 to save sideswiping a car on the very long journey I do several times a month.
SOLD March 2021

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #8 on: 19 June 2019, 11:36 »
Just read this

^^^^

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 19 June 2019, 11:56 »
Just read this

^^^^
The fitter told me it's just a case of ordering UK glass, and that's the only difference in teh hardware, but for those of you that have it can you confirm which side the dotted line is, passenger or driver? :)

The kit required is as follows:
2x lane assist mirror glasses
2x module brackets (to go in the rear bumper to hold the radar modules)
2x modules (5Q0-907-686-B and 5Q0-907-685-B)
and 1x cable harness

If you have the Highline reverse camera you also need a module that allows rear monitor when parking also.

SOLD March 2021