Author Topic: Is the Mk 7.5 Golf GTI the best hot hatch you’ve owned ?  (Read 7777 times)

Offline Yusee

• I live here
Re: Is the Mk 7.5 Golf GTI the best hot hatch you’ve owned ?
« Reply #20 on: 24 March 2019, 08:14 »
It is bigger and heavier than older hot hatches- aren’t they all- but it still feels a very agile car through a series of fast bends. And you can go much faster.
I do agree you have to be careful in some narrower lanes, i do worry someone will clip my mirror or force me into a hedge.

2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #21 on: 25 March 2019, 09:26 »
Tough one...

Best all rounder? Yes, definitely. Comfy and relaxing on a run, Still reasonable fun on the twisties, quick(ish), decent loadspace - loads of plusses, but...

Most fun hot hatch I've owned? Nope. Previous hot hatch experience has been with Astra's. Firstly an Mk4 SRI 190 Turbo which was (in my opinion) more fun to drive "in a spirited fashion". This was followed by a Stage 1.5 Mk5 VXR running close to 300BHP and this was like the SRi Turbo turned up to 11. People slated the handling but it just made it so entertaining to drive, whereas the Mk7 GTI (even with the tuning box on it) is very very good, but lacks that little bit of involvement that's required when the car has the tendency to be a little bit wayward.

That analogy almost feels like some people quote when they compare the GTI to the R. People find the R very very good, but some feel it lacks as much involvement as driving the GTI does - maybe?

I had a SRI 190, did you not find the understeer a little lethal during the spirited driving?

Both the Vauxhalls were a bit keen to go straight on. Half the time I'd have probably gone into a corner a little too hot and countered it with a bit of lift off oversteer lol.

2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 25 March 2019, 09:41 »
I cannot really coment as I don't own one  :huh: but i have driven many now. For me a hothatch needs to be smaller the golf just got too wide and long for it to be my favourite hothatch but thats a personal thing. I don't feel as confident on some of the back roads due to its sheer size. Its bigger than a mk2 cavalier was for example

The Golf is a small car still, feels completely at home on small B roads! Did a trip to Brecons last year with an '16 RS6, '14 XJR, '18 991.2 Targa GTS and '97 996. GTI was fully at home on the twisty roads. Never ever felt like a Mk7 Golf is too big. Yes, it's bigger than old hatches dues to safety and tech advancements. But too wide and long, definitely not.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline jdc0907

• Not said much yet
« Reply #23 on: 25 March 2019, 11:16 »

The Golf is a small car still, feels completely at home on small B roads! Did a trip to Brecons last year with an '16 RS6, '14 XJR, '18 991.2 Targa GTS and '97 996. GTI was fully at home on the twisty roads. Never ever felt like a Mk7 Golf is too big. Yes, it's bigger than old hatches dues to safety and tech advancements. But too wide and long, definitely not.

I have just moved over to a 7.5 GTI PP (MY19) from a 150ps ACT Polo BlueGT (MY16) - I can't say I've noticed a huge difference in size when driving, it still feels like a small hatchback. I expect the MK8 will be bigger though
Current: GTI Mk7.5 PP MY19
Previous: Polo BlueGT MY16

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #24 on: 25 March 2019, 11:56 »
Its bigger than a mk2 cavalier was for example

The Golf is a small car still,

Until it comes to threading it through a standard single garage door opening. Our old G7 was a tight squeeze into my parents garage, whereas when I lived there, my Mk2 Cavalier could be slid in with plenty of room either side. Perhaps mirrors have got bigger?
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 25 March 2019, 12:06 »
Traditional garages are tiny! Mk2 Cavalier's are tiny. Mk7 Golfs are small.  :grin:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline MarkHowells

• Not said much yet
« Reply #26 on: 25 March 2019, 19:52 »
This is a question I keep asking myself.

Have had a mk6 GTi, Mk7 R and now a mk7.5 Gti PP. I must admit that I really enjoyed the R and it does feel much faster than the GTi. It also sounds better both inside and outside than the GTi. At the end of the PCP, I could not get a manual R so got a manual GTi PP instead. I was a bit disappointed to start with, but that was my own fault because I kept trying to compare the Gti PP to the R. But it is a totally different car to drive and it is not fair to compare it. So, I no longer compare it to the R and I must say that I am really enjoying it. It may not drive or sound like an R but it definitely looks better and feels lighter when driving through the country roads with all those bends to enjoy swinging around.

I think that they are both good hot hatches and have different pros and cons. I will probably be getting the MK8 when it comes out, but the big question is will it be an R or a GTi???

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 25 March 2019, 22:36 »
This is a question I keep asking myself.

Have had a mk6 GTi, Mk7 R and now a mk7.5 Gti PP. I must admit that I really enjoyed the R and it does feel much faster than the GTi. It also sounds better both inside and outside than the GTi. At the end of the PCP, I could not get a manual R so got a manual GTi PP instead. I was a bit disappointed to start with, but that was my own fault because I kept trying to compare the Gti PP to the R. But it is a totally different car to drive and it is not fair to compare it. So, I no longer compare it to the R and I must say that I am really enjoying it. It may not drive or sound like an R but it definitely looks better and feels lighter when driving through the country roads with all those bends to enjoy swinging around.

I think that they are both good hot hatches and have different pros and cons. I will probably be getting the MK8 when it comes out, but the big question is will it be an R or a GTi???

R :grin:

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #28 on: 26 March 2019, 09:02 »

Until it comes to threading it through a standard single garage door opening. Our old G7 was a tight squeeze into my parents garage, whereas when I lived there, my Mk2 Cavalier could be slid in with plenty of room either side. Perhaps mirrors have got bigger?

Your Mk7 is the same size as the Mk1 Ford Sierra... you know the large family car..
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 26 March 2019, 09:38 »
Cars are getting bigger, no question there- every time I see a 3 series I have to check the badge to check it's not a 5.
The civic looks like an accord.
But does it's size and weight stop the mk7 being an excellent hot hatch? Not imo.
It has the power, brakes and chassis to accelerate, stop and change direction as well as the 205 GTI I enjoyed more than 20 years ago.
The 205 was more thrilling for sure- with it's lightning throttle response and lift off oversteer.
If I could just improve the initial throttle response,  my 7.5 golf would be easily the better hot hatch- despite it's size.
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.