Author Topic: Is the Mk 7.5 Golf GTI the best hot hatch you’ve owned ?  (Read 7695 times)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: Is the Mk 7.5 Golf GTI the best hot hatch you’ve owned ?
« Reply #30 on: 26 March 2019, 13:00 »
If I could just improve the initial throttle response,  my 7.5 golf would be easily the better hot hatch- despite it's size.

Pedalbox - http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=278239.0  :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #31 on: 26 March 2019, 14:11 »
Thought this might be interesting to some. A few of the cars from my 80's heydays to compare sizes against the Golf 7 (figures from Wikipedia)

2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
« Reply #32 on: 26 March 2019, 15:47 »
For the ultimate true hot hatch my CLIO WILLIAMS Series One, was fantastic only 150bhp but jc nothing I've owned/driven cornered like it. Spent half its life on 3 wheels! :wink:
Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #33 on: 26 March 2019, 16:22 »
If I could just improve the initial throttle response,  my 7.5 golf would be easily the better hot hatch- despite it's size.

I have been thinking about it- very tempted after reading that thread. Many thanks.
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #34 on: 26 March 2019, 16:45 »
For the ultimate true hot hatch my CLIO WILLIAMS Series One, was fantastic only 150bhp but jc nothing I've owned/driven cornered like it. Spent half its life on 3 wheels! :wink:

150 is a sh!tl0ad in a flimsy French hot hatch!

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #35 on: 26 March 2019, 16:50 »

I have been thinking about it- very tempted after reading that thread. Many thanks.

It's money very well spent in my and many other peoples opinions. Really brings the car alive and I would be loathe to drive the car without it now. If you'd give a rough location for yourself there's a chance someone with one could give you a demo if you're unsure but to be honest, given your dislike of the stock response, I can't see how you'd not like it. You should of course declare it with your insurer, they can be a bit hit and miss as to whether or not they will cover it, even for different people with the same insurer.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #36 on: 26 March 2019, 17:18 »

It's money very well spent in my and many other peoples opinions. Really brings the car alive and I would be loathe to drive the car without it now. If you'd give a rough location for yourself there's a chance someone with one could give you a demo if you're unsure but to be honest, given your dislike of the stock response, I can't see how you'd not like it. You should of course declare it with your insurer, they can be a bit hit and miss as to whether or not they will cover it, even for different people with the same insurer.

Thanks for the advice, Watts. I'm quite sure I will go for it at some point-perhaps when I start getting bored or when warranty running out - but I'm still enjoying the car as it is- and I do wonder whether it just requires a different style of driving.
If the temptation proves too great possibly sooner than planned!

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #37 on: 26 March 2019, 21:26 »

I had a Megane Coupe with that lump in it.

Was a bit of an animal in its day.

Suspect now it would just be rubbish though, being a Renault it probably fell to bits about 6 months after I got rid of it.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Colh

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #38 on: 27 March 2019, 19:33 »
Its my first proper hot hatch.  Had a 2010 GTD which was lukewarm in comparison  :grin:
Current: 2021 MK8 GTI DSG Atlantic Blue
Gone: 2018 MK7.5 GTI Deep Pearl Black
Gone: 2015 MK7 Match Night Blue
Gone: 2010 MK6 GTD Deep Pearl Black
Gone: 2008 MK5 Match Blue

Offline NewbieGTIP

• Not said much yet
  • If it ain’t broke..... it probably soon will be.
« Reply #39 on: 27 March 2019, 21:24 »

I had a Megane Coupe with that lump in it.

Was a bit of an animal in its day.

Suspect now it would just be rubbish though, being a Renault it probably fell to bits about 6 months after I got rid of it.

I went on the MOT checker to see how many of my previous cars (of which I could remember the registrations) were still kicking about..... 1. And that’s was my old Civic Jordan, which is good going as it was dog rough when I bought it!
#330 Gti Clubsport.