Author Topic: Freewheel + start/stop on DSG Question  (Read 6890 times)

Offline andyb_123

• Not said much yet
Freewheel + start/stop on DSG Question
« on: 17 December 2017, 17:21 »
Somewhere in the manual it says that if you are in "eco" mode and you lift off in a certain speed range (30-80?), then the DSG will disengage and the engine will even stop.

I can get it to do the freewheeling thing (but only if I explicitly choose eco - it won't freewheel if I left it in eco and start a new journey from scratch without selecting again).

When we first got the car, I could swear on a downhill section it did freewheeling *and* turned the engine off, but it doesn't seem to want to do that anymore, even on a nice long downhill with nothing else around in front. When we come to a halt, the engine does switch off, so stop/start is working.

Is there some setting buried away somewhere? It probably doesn't really make much difference to consumption, but I'm more annoyed because I can't work it out  :smiley:

Offline maxie

• Here all the time
Re: Freewheel + start/stop on DSG Question
« Reply #1 on: 17 December 2017, 17:41 »
it will coast yes but you'll have to select eco each time you start a new trip.. it does say in the manual somewhere that some things will be deselected.. and tbh i dont think the engine will turn off when coasting as the brakes etc would stop working, it will turn off when you come to a complete stop if all conditions are ok within the car... :)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 17 December 2017, 17:43 »
Not heard of that, the engine stopping bit, surely you'll lose servo assistance on the brakes and power steering? (With the engine off on start/stop on mine steering is nigh on impossible).
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #3 on: 17 December 2017, 19:59 »
Facelift does turn the engine off.
Steering at speed doesn't actually take that much assistance, if it is required the battery can handle for a short while.
Same goes for braking, it probably has a modified brake servo that 'stores' more vacuum.
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline andyb_123

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 18 December 2017, 13:12 »
The manual explicitly says the engine will switch off:

"Coasting
m/k/a995MKVehicles with DSG dual clutch gearbox: When the selector lever is in position D/S and neither the accelerator nor the brake pedal is depressed, the vehicle will roll (coast) with practically no energy being consumed.

The coasting with dynamic start-stop function means the engine is not just disengaged, but is also switched off."

I know about choosing ECO manually to get the coasting thing to work. I can confirm it does coast. But it doesn't seem to turn the engine off, yet when coming to a halt, the engine does stop. Presume that's what they call "dynamic start-stop function". I just wonder if there's a setting I've messed around with somewhere that I now can't find... My autistic side needs to know! (Probably would only save about 10p of fuel a year though...)

Here's the manual:
http://www.vw-manual.co.uk/browse?2&token=deniol2171.intern.nionex.netH1HtQWNKlgCGTcP&lang=en-GB&doc=5G0012720AE&link=RID

Offline andyb_123

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 18 December 2017, 13:16 »
Sorry me again. Did a search for "coasting" in that PDF (much better than looking through the paper manual!) and it has this section:

"Switching on the start/stop system
The function is automatically activated every time the ignition is switched on. The instrument cluster display will show information about the current status.

Vehicles with DSG® dual clutch gearbox may be equipped with a start/stop system and a coasting with dynamic start-stop function. The coasting with dynamic start-stop function is deactivated and activated together with the start/stop system.

More information on start/stop system operation can be accessed in the Infotainment system using the m/b/v040MBm/b/v032MBm/b/v041MBm/b/v048MB button or function button and the Vehicle, Selection, Vehicle status function buttons. This information also applies to coasting."

Perhaps when I press the button which toggles the stop/start on and off there's a setting there. I did press that a few times before I knew what it was  :smiley:

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #6 on: 18 December 2017, 13:50 »
I'd imagine the coasting engine off will only happen if the usual criteria for stop/start are met...

The main one which disables start/stop is if the heating/cooling system is active and actively heating or cooling (ie you have set an auto temperature and the cabin temperature is not currently at the temp demanded)

Wouldn't surprise me if you have it set to a relatively high setting (because its cold in the winter)

Other things also disable start stop functionality (fuel level is one, can't remember the others)

But in all of these conditions you should see a "A" with a line through it displayed on the dash.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline maxie

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 18 December 2017, 13:53 »
Facelift does turn the engine off.
Steering at speed doesn't actually take that much assistance, if it is required the battery can handle for a short while.
Same goes for braking, it probably has a modified brake servo that 'stores' more vacuum.

when  mines coasting theres just a letter e instead of e3 etc, but i've never noticed the engine totally switching off. maybe it's a partial off like it just uses 2 cylinders etc?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #8 on: 18 December 2017, 13:56 »
No active cylinder tech on a VAG 2.0 TFSI engine... only the smaller engines have that.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 18 December 2017, 16:27 »
I've used this tech quite a few times on longer journeys on my DSG GTD, (admittedly not the FL version), and whilst the coasting works as advertised, the engine has never switched off (not sure I'd want it to).
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras