Author Topic: 2013 GTI Versus 2016 GTI  (Read 5969 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: 2013 GTI Versus 2016 GTI
« Reply #10 on: 17 March 2016, 14:59 »
Know what you mean about the stone chips!

My car looks like its been a perch for an incontinent seagull.

Definitely the worst car I've had for this. Hopefully the lease company won't have a blue fit when i hand it back...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #11 on: 17 March 2016, 15:15 »
I didn't know the GTI had the sound actuator. I thought it was a GTD thing.
There's no mention of it in any literature that I have read. :smiley:

GTI/GTD/R they all have them
Is it just the GTD that you have to pay to spec it ?
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 17 March 2016, 15:26 »
I didn't know the GTI had the sound actuator. I thought it was a GTD thing.
There's no mention of it in any literature that I have read. :smiley:

GTI/GTD/R they all have them
Is it just the GTD that you have to pay to spec it ?

No, the internal soundaktor is standard.

The external one is what you get when you pay for "sport and sound", which is a GTD only option I think.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 17 March 2016, 16:27 »
As Fred mentioned above all the performance Golf's get the Soundakator as standard which is built into the base of the windscreen and uses the windscreen itself to act as a sound inducer to give the "fake" sound inside the cabin.

The GTI and R's by virtue of them being petrol and having tuned exhaust systems already give a throaty growl from the outside when pressing on, but the diesel GTD has a much more muffled sound due to the DPF filter incorporated at the engine manifold end of the system.

To give a fake petrol style growl on the outside of a GTD, the Sport and Sound package can be specced on the GTD, which provides a special exhaust system (without a rear silencer box), and with a sound speaker system built in just forward of the rear axle. This speaker can provide a petrol like sound when in sport mode that can be heard outside the car. Also with the S&S package you get factory painted Red brake calipers as well.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #14 on: 17 March 2016, 16:33 »
Having just looked into this, I'm going to unplug it.
It looks straight forward and I don't think it adds anything to the car at all.
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 17 March 2016, 16:57 »

Let us know what you think with this, I've considered it because I don't like fakery but must admit to having got used to it now and quite like it.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #16 on: 17 March 2016, 17:09 »

Let us know what you think with this, I've considered it because I don't like fakery but must admit to having got used to it now and quite like it.
I'll have a go at it tomorrow and let you know how I get on.
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP

Offline TwoSheds

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #17 on: 17 March 2016, 17:25 »
At long last you can now alter the settings of the Soundaktor via the Infotainment screen (MIB II ) MY 2016 cars to suit how much interior 'noise' you want to hear depending on your mood.  :smiley:

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 17 March 2016, 17:35 »
^^^ Exactly

Post May 2015, cars have the ability to adjust the volume of the Soundaktor from within in Individual Mode  under the setting for 'Interior Engine Sound' - you can set it to Sport (loudest), Normal (medium) and Eco (quietest) and have all the other things such as gearbox, steering etc exactly as you want them.  So this really negates the need to unplug the Soundaktor. 
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 17 March 2016, 17:52 »
I suspect that with MIB1 it already does the same but not configurable under individual mode - ie sport is loud, normal is sorta medium and eco it makes the sound of whale song instead.

I actually don't find it annoying really. If I get another GTD I'm going full Clarkson and getting exterior noise to terrify little old ladies with S&S