Author Topic: Help with GTD spec  (Read 6246 times)

Offline Jeffeatscheese

• Just got here
Help with GTD spec
« on: 28 February 2015, 09:38 »
Hi everyone

I would appreciate some of your advice please.

I am currently spec-ing up a GTD with the following:

3dr manual GTD
Pearl black
19" Santiago
Discover navigation (DNS not the pro)
Park assist
Rear view camera

Would anyone recommend the last 3 and is it worth it?

How long are you guys looking at a build at the moment?

Anyone getting good deals (car wow seems to be showing 10% off from dealers)? Looking to get on a PCP.

Thanks for your help!

Ben

Offline breezasib

• GTI forum regular
Re: Help with GTD spec
« Reply #1 on: 28 February 2015, 10:42 »

If it were me I would drop the sat nav. I use both Waze and TomTom on my phone and find them great.

I would add keyless and winter pack for the heated seats as both of these options are fantastic.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #2 on: 28 February 2015, 11:16 »
Standard Nav is ok (I have pro but would probably get the standard one if/when I do it again).

Parking and Rear view camera, good gimmick but I find the Mk7 really easy to park - you can see all the corners and the turning circle is absolutely superb.

Maybe if you are a nervous parker it makes sense... or maybe if you just like a gadget.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Bluefloyd

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 28 February 2015, 11:25 »
Black looks the dogs dangly bits and very stealthy when clean but, unless you like cleaning your cars compulsively, it doesn't stay that way for long. I don't have sat and yes you can use your phone or whatever but I would pick it now if I had the chance again.

I am used to driving very large vehicles so parking my golf is a pleasure for me so I only have parking sensors and can't really comment on the other parking aids. But the main option I wish I had specified is the sport and sound pack. I think the red calipers look great and contrast really well against a black car and the exhaust note is really throaty too.

Unfortunately I didn't really understand what the sport and sound package was until coming on here and had already ordered my car so I didn't want to slow delivery down by changing my order
Black Gtd with box

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 28 February 2015, 11:39 »
The fact you've specced Santiagos makes park assist almost essential!
I have 19" (aftermarket wheels as the Santis are a pain to clean) and park assist is quite reassuring when you are faced with a tight gap and a high kerb.

Rear cam is useful, mostly in the dark where it's surprisingly good. However don't become overly reliant on it as it can make you a bit lazy when reversing so you tend to neglect side mirrors a bit and have to remind yourself.

Basic Nav is ok. Better value than Pro but still very expensive for what it is (over and above the standard head unit which has most of the features minus nav).
Would I spec it again? Not sure. I might slightly regret it if I didn't but good value it ain't!
I wonder what the price of a similar option is from rival manufacturers?

Sport and Sound pack as suggested is cheap and a bit of an essential in my book. The red calipers stand out well behind the wheels and add a splash of colour. I've not heard the exhaust in the flesh but it's bound to be better than the crappy soundaktor.

The Santis are pretty expensive and a pain to clean but they do look really good.

As for black... I hope you like cleaning!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Jammy1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 28 February 2015, 12:44 »
Personally I don't see the point of the camera AND park assist, I'd go for one or the other.  I really like park assist and works a treat.  It's really cheap (I wouldn't have bothered if it was over £300) and has the benfit of adding side sensors too, which can be handy it you've not noticed a low bollard etc.  People will always have the argument 'I can park myself', but that's missig the point.  I can cadence brake, but I'm glad I have ABS.  I can drive at a constant speed, but I'm glad I have cruise...the comparisons continue.

As with regats to the nav, I just don't get it.  Less functionality than my TomTom on my iPhone 6 and the traffic management is inferior.  Maybe if it was half the price and had decent traffic then I might consider it.

The winter pack is nice to have, but pricey for what it is.  I also had keyless as I wanted a start button, childish I know, but in a car with so much nice tech it seems a little archaic that you have a 'traditional' ignition key and barrel.

At the end of the day options add very little value come resale time, so plump for what you want and will find useful.

Just my two pence worth :)
Golf GTD, Tornado Red, 5dr, Manual, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Keyless and Winter Pack.  Ordered 15/03/14.  Estimated BW22. Confirmed BW25.  Collected 17/07/14.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 28 February 2015, 13:27 »
Trust me Jammy, the rear cam is very useful when you have a 30 foot shared drive that's unlit going into an unlit garage and you work shift work...

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Jammy1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 28 February 2015, 13:43 »
Trust me Jammy, the rear cam is very useful when you have a 30 foot shared drive that's unlit going into an unlit garage and you work shift work...

:grin: true.  Not thought of that.  I had a cam on an IS300 H I tried.  I found it difficult to judge perspective etc, I guess you adapt to it though.  I was more thinkong of day to day bay and parallel parking.  We have a Cottage at Robin Hood's Bay and it has an incredibly tight unlit tiny car park.  It's in these situations I like the park assist into a bay.  It can see better in the dark in reverse than I can.
Golf GTD, Tornado Red, 5dr, Manual, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Keyless and Winter Pack.  Ordered 15/03/14.  Estimated BW22. Confirmed BW25.  Collected 17/07/14.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 28 February 2015, 13:54 »
I've only ever used park assist to parallel park so far, I've not worked out how to bay park with it yet!
Must remember to try that.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 28 February 2015, 16:20 »
Just toggle the parking switch  :laugh:
It goes from parallel to bay.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14