Author Topic: New tyres suggestions?  (Read 126013 times)

Offline davo245

• Here all the time
Re: New tyres suggestions?
« Reply #520 on: 27 September 2023, 17:20 »
Anyone running Pilot sport 5 if so what the verdict?

Yep, put 4 on in March to replace the original Pontenza’s. Much smoother and quieter ride. Seem to grip well.
No complaints.

👍 I had PS4's before and was blvery impressed 5s were not available then.

Ard they 18s or 19s on yours?
Mk6 GTI DSG
MK7.5 GTI performance DSG
Mk8 GTI

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #521 on: 27 September 2023, 18:37 »

Yep, put 4 on in March to replace the original Pontenza’s. Much smoother and quieter ride. Seem to grip well.
No complaints.

👍 I had PS4's before and was blvery impressed 5s were not available then.

Ard they 18s or 19s on yours?

18’s
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline EB2019

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #522 on: 28 September 2023, 20:49 »

I have PS5 18's they are ok, I would say they are a nice tyre, good allrounder, nothing special, just a solid tyre in all conditions. Nothing remotely sporty about them except the name in the title though.  Having had many Michelin's over the years, Exalto's, PS2, PS4, PSS and now PS5 I'm not sure I would buy another set.

Perhaps the PS5S or whatever its called might be a nice option whenever it comes out.  Having had the GY ASY 5 and thought it was a step above the PS4, I might go for GY ASY 6 personally.
« Last Edit: 28 September 2023, 20:50 by EB2019 »

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #523 on: 28 September 2023, 22:20 »

Also running PS5's (235/35R19), as EB2019 said they're not a wow tyre, but they're also not meant to be. They're middle of the road in the UHP tyre bracket, do everything really well but because of this they don't feel as sporty.

I do really like mine, but I did prefer the PS4S' I had before because of the better handling, but the roads around me are terrible so I don't really miss them either. If you want more of that you're best to look at Goodyear or Continental.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline davo245

• Here all the time
« Reply #524 on: 03 October 2023, 10:08 »

Also running PS5's (235/35R19), as EB2019 said they're not a wow tyre, but they're also not meant to be. They're middle of the road in the UHP tyre bracket, do everything really well but because of this they don't feel as sporty.

I do really like mine, but I did prefer the PS4S' I had before because of the better handling, but the roads around me are terrible so I don't really miss them either. If you want more of that you're best to look at Goodyear or Continental.

Thanks for the feedback everyone I will have a think. Current 19s are Hancock evo3 (std from new) and in all honesty I would never have bought them but generally as an everyday tyre they are not too bad tbh.

I fo a fair amount of miles a year so the PS5 maybe  good choice also as they supposed to last well too.
Mk6 GTI DSG
MK7.5 GTI performance DSG
Mk8 GTI

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #525 on: 03 October 2023, 15:43 »
Mileage wise I personally don't know about the ps5's, fitted mine in June and all of them are on around 5.2-5.7mm (checked end of Sept).

Which would be circa 4k - 5k miles, hopefully it's just an initial drop off, as I'd like to see them get at least 20k miles. Previous PS4S did get 30k miles so I'm assuming it is.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline KieranMc

• Just got here
« Reply #526 on: 03 October 2023, 16:05 »
Took the 19s CM Prets off recently that had PS4S to prep for sale and put standard 18s back on with set of new Conti sport contact 7 for other half, no complaints from her and I took it a blast a week ago and seem a great tyre great grip wet and dry
Indium grey manual Mk7.5GTI
19” Gloss black Prets
Carbon mirrors
Osram sweeping mirror indicators

Offline Eccie

• Here all the time
  • Keyless & Penniless
« Reply #527 on: 10 October 2023, 15:13 »
Two weeks ago I had four PS4 tyres fitted at Costco £376 with the Michelin discount. They are 18’s and went on the GT estate, I run them also on the GTi, happy with them, softer and quieter than the Goodyear that came off

Offline Legacywr

• Not said much yet
« Reply #528 on: 10 January 2024, 17:22 »
I’m in the market for 4 off 19in tyres, what’s the current consensus? :)

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #529 on: 10 January 2024, 17:47 »
I'm not sure there is a consensus, in that premium brand tyres are good enough for most of us? :)

From recent tests the best of the current crop are Continental sport contact 7, Michelin PS5 & Goodyear Eagle F1 assymetric 6.

I needed a pair, I went with the Goodyear as they were available at the best price on a black Friday deal.

Slightly controvesially, I went with 235/35/19 on my Brescia rims, partly for better rim protection and also 235/35/19 appear to be cheaper and more available than 225/35/19 original fitment.

Having driven 100 miles or less on them, I am unable to comment on how they drive, but the VW garage was happy when it passed it's Mot. :)