Author Topic: anyone got a baby?????????  (Read 4156 times)

Offline the.little.fox

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 125
anyone got a baby?????????
« on: 09 September 2005, 15:38 »
Hi,

Right. This is going to sound a bit silly, but I'm having problems getting a baby car seat.

Has anyone got a baby and a mark 2 golf gti?

Nobody will sell me a seat because I have the seatbelt buckle on a webbing bit. Does that make any sense? Apparently in an accident something called 'buckle crunch' would happen and be really dangerous.

I'm now considering changing my seatbelt. Any ideas how I would go about this?

Theres no way I'm selling my golf!

Please help! x

Offline Mart8V

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 504
  • I really should know better by now.....
Re: anyone got a baby?????????
« Reply #1 on: 09 September 2005, 16:52 »
Yep- my son is ten weeks.  Order your seat online and you don't get the guilt trip!

If the seat belt is good enough to hold an adult it will hold a child seat, IMO.  We have a Maxi Cosi Cabrio which fits nicely in the back of my 3-door.  Very well reviewed by all the safety testers. THey are available from most online retailers and go well with buggies etc.  Well worth the £70.

Don't worry about the scare tactics of the sales people- make your own decisions about your own child's safety.  I promise you will drive much more sedately with them in the car!!

PM me if you need more details. :smiley:

Offline rowlers

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,829
  • I'm back - MK7 GTI
Re: anyone got a baby?????????
« Reply #2 on: 09 September 2005, 19:10 »
Have a look on britax's website, they do a baby seat search thaa tells you which britax car seats have been tested in all cars. There is a few that do fit!

My Ellie is 2 months  tomorrow!!!
She sits in a britax rock-a-tot, which fits my1990 Golf MkII No Probs!!

Offline the.little.fox

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 125
Re: anyone got a baby?????????
« Reply #3 on: 09 September 2005, 19:22 »
Ah, thanks guys.

Sales people don't half try and freak you out!

At the moment my 6 month old daughter is in a 'jeep' car seat, part of a travel system but is due to go into the next size up any day.

Has anyone seen those reccaro ones? How lush are they? if not a little pricey!!!

Yep. Will order one on line. much less guilt!

Cheers.x

Offline Deefadog

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,315
  • Mk2 16V (November 89)
Re: anyone got a baby?????????
« Reply #4 on: 10 September 2005, 08:25 »
Mine is nearly 11 months!

but this missus will not let her in the golf  :grin:

Says she not going into that old thing! fair enough, but i say it's safer than a sherman tank  :grin:

Not much help sorry!
My 89 16v  /  Essential golf links

illumin

  • Guest
Re: anyone got a baby?????????
« Reply #5 on: 10 September 2005, 08:46 »
MY son (now 2 1/2) has been in the same car seat since he was about 1 year old, and it has been in about 7 different cars, from a Mercedes to my current Golf. I'm afraid that the saleman was talking b*llocks - our seat is a Britax one and it has been fine whatever car it has been in.................Gonna get a booster seat shortly for the little guy, so if you're nearby maybe we could do a deal?  :grin: :grin:

Offline the.little.fox

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 125
Re: anyone got a baby?????????
« Reply #6 on: 10 September 2005, 10:25 »
Mine is nearly 11 months!

but this missus will not let her in the golf  :grin:

Says she not going into that old thing! fair enough, but i say it's safer than a sherman tank  :grin:

Not much help sorry!

Not let her in the golf???

She's mad! I'm sure your daughter would be proud to be seen in such a car.

x :wink:

Offline the.little.fox

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 125
Re: anyone got a baby?????????
« Reply #7 on: 10 September 2005, 10:28 »
Gonna get a booster seat shortly for the little guy, so if you're nearby maybe we could do a deal?  :grin: :grin:

Sorry, I'm miles away from anywhere! Aberystwyth on the west coast of Wales.

Thanks anyway though. I'm going to get one off the net. I'm sure any one will be fine

x :wink:

Offline Deefadog

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,315
  • Mk2 16V (November 89)
Re: anyone got a baby?????????
« Reply #8 on: 10 September 2005, 16:09 »
Yeah i know, but i am sure she will come around :)

Not too far from me! i'm in Swansea!
My 89 16v  /  Essential golf links

Offline ANDY597

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 105
Re: anyone got a baby?????????
« Reply #9 on: 10 September 2005, 17:46 »
If you babies really young,  buy a mamas and papas car seat.  The mostly all come in two pieces.  The frist base piece is the bit your strap your belt to.  The car seat part just clunk clicks into the base and the bit that would go over your shoulder goes around the back of the seat.

The advantage of this is that you can leave the base strapped in, and just clunk click the car seat in and out. Great.

They are rear facing,  so they are mega safe and they fit nicely into the front and back of the Mk2.

My daughter is now three, and we have a really nice car seat thats finished in black and red and looks a little like a recaro.  When shes older it converts to a booster seat.  The seat belt goes over her as it would do an adult but a slot in the seat lowers it the required height so it fits across her chest.
Its made by Graco, attached link. Again it sits really well in my golf and actually goes with the seats. How cool is that.

http://www.graco.co.uk/product/carseats/toddlerchildseats/rallysport/

http://www.mamasandpapas.com/travel/car_seats/group_0+.htm