Author Topic: *Sh!t and balls! Rear drivers calliper looks to be leaking HELP Needed Please!!!  (Read 3876 times)

Offline monzablue16v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,537
Right guys
Just been out to the car at lunchtime and under the rear drivers side one of the bricks is wet and had a look at the calliper it looks wet also not amused.
Would be the one day I need to get straight home from work wouldn't it, ballsweat. What's needed for mk3 callipers?
« Last Edit: 26 August 2005, 11:48 by monzablue16v »

Probably got lost in the "Great Crash of 08

Offline Mr Blue

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 6,133
Re: Sh!t and balls! Rear drivers calliper looks to be leaking
« Reply #1 on: 25 August 2005, 15:11 »
You might have spungy breaks if air is in the system. scarey when that happens! :shocked:

the mk3 calipers fit striaght onto 90 spec mk2's

if its pre 90 spec then you need longer handbreak cables so they say :smiley:
:)

Offline monzablue16v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,537
Re: Sh!t and balls! Rear drivers calliper looks to be leaking
« Reply #2 on: 25 August 2005, 15:38 »
Ha spongy I wish just went and looked at the brake res and it's bone dry! really not amused now how the feck am i gunna sort this out? I'm at work which is 5 miles from my mates house and 15 miles from my house got to be back asap after work tonight and get to work tommorow, can I rebuild the existing callipers with seals or are they just going top be buggered? cheers dudes

Probably got lost in the "Great Crash of 08

Offline kniterider

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,857
  • had most, sold most and often buy more!
Re: Sh!t and balls! Rear drivers calliper looks to be leaking
« Reply #3 on: 25 August 2005, 15:47 »
put mk3 calipers on my recently sold 88 mk2 8v, no probs with handbrake cables, they were a direct fit,


i wouldnt bother with doing anything with mk2 calipers other than slinging em in the bin if im honest!! lol

get some decent used mk3 ones, will take you all of an hour to fit em, and prob 10/20 mins to bleed the system, job done and you dont have to worry about seizure probs in the future either :smiley:

Offline Mr Blue

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 6,133
Re: Sh!t and balls! Rear drivers calliper looks to be leaking
« Reply #4 on: 25 August 2005, 15:51 »
you can rebuild them but who cares when you can have some shiney new mk3 ones  :cool:
:)

Offline davidhawkins_78

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 905
  • Valver Bad Boy
Re: Sh!t and balls! Rear drivers calliper looks to be leaking
« Reply #5 on: 25 August 2005, 16:30 »
It's not just 90 spec cars that the mk 3 calipers fit on ... it's all to do with the year the car left the factory !!!

Usually if you have a small bumper mk2 with 90 spec doors you'll be fine ;)

Providing it left the factory that way ofcourse ! :cool:

And the early mk3 one's where no better than the mk2's - you'll need late spec mk3 one's really ....


'89 Monza Blue Valver
to quote a VW engineer, "the Mk1 was the prototype, the Mk2, the real thing!"

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: Sh!t and balls! Rear drivers calliper looks to be leaking
« Reply #6 on: 25 August 2005, 17:12 »
MK3 calipers will fit on ALL MK2 GTIs, but the handbrake cables are shorter on the early ones due to a different caliper design (pre 86 I think)  But all you do is get a set of late handbrake cables :)

Might as well get some braided brake cables while you're doing it too :)
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline monzablue16v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,537
Re: Sh!t and balls! Rear drivers calliper looks to be leaking
« Reply #7 on: 25 August 2005, 19:53 »
Right had a fettle at work :D
I've taken the wheel off and checked the hoses and pads,disc, h/brake cable etc.
My handbrake  cable has been rubbing on the bottom suspension mounting and has worn through the plastic sleeving but can't see this leaking anything?
There are no leaks on the disc or pads and no leaks from any of the hoses.
Filled the reservoir back up and level hasn't dropped since.

Any ideas what I need to fix it as the nearest place with mk3 callipers is only open 'til 5 tommorow in Leeds which is gridlocked from the Leeds Festival and I work until 5.30 :(


What's this bit???? and why would this leak? as this is where the brake fluid? drips from.

Thank You helpful forum people.

Probably got lost in the "Great Crash of 08

Offline Mr Blue

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 6,133
Re: Sh!t and balls! Rear drivers calliper looks to be leaking
« Reply #8 on: 25 August 2005, 21:42 »
must be a nackerd seal. :smiley:

degrease it and jet blast it clean. then check for leaks again. whats the level on the resevior?
:)

Offline monzablue16v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,537
Re: Sh!t and balls! Rear drivers calliper looks to be leaking
« Reply #9 on: 25 August 2005, 22:21 »
the res is now just under full and was when I left work just leaving strange puddles everywhere I park!!

Which seal is it likely to be mate as I need to get all bits from GSF to fix it til after the bank holiday.

Probably got lost in the "Great Crash of 08