Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2877203 times)

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #13480 on: 20 May 2024, 09:27 »
Just a thought…..have you checked wheel bearing?
Bearing went on my son’s A3 and it cooked the ABS speed sensor on that wheel.

Yep, recently checked them as I have rumbling as usual it was tyre noise as they wear.

Offline EB2019

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13481 on: 20 May 2024, 20:05 »
Took the car on a long drive

Started out with a clean car and crossed to France then into Belgium, ended up filthy by the time I got to the Eifel region Germany, but its grey so you'd never know :)

Then back to Calais and through the Tunnel to the UK for a dull drive on poor, congested roads with multiple speed camera's Yay. :) 

Forgot to mention the satnav traffic worked perfectly in Germany with the VW system, displaying all the roads closed and diversions, I only tried it to see if it was just switched off in the UK as i normal use Android Auto and it was!

« Last Edit: 22 May 2024, 20:18 by EB2019 »

Offline Jace

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13482 on: 23 May 2024, 16:36 »

I took it loaded up to the tip  :cool:

2018 Golf R 7.5 Estate > Full Revo stg2 set up

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #13483 on: 23 May 2024, 17:34 »
Did my annual servce including a brake fluid change.

Whilst the wheels were off gave the red calipers a damn good clean, can't stand them looking grubby.

Lubricated all the DCC level sensors too as I noticed they creaked a bit when I jacked it up.

Other than that all went to plan.  :smiley:

Just sorted my insurance, paid £250 last year. VWFS renewal price was £327, Aviva worked out at £278 (with £36 Topcashback hopefully).

Pleased with that considering all the things I'd heard about rocketing premiums.  :smiley:
« Last Edit: 25 May 2024, 11:21 by madstaff »
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline karlos

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13484 on: 25 May 2024, 16:53 »
New rear discs and pads fitted. Went with TRW as the hubs and edges of the discs are painted black so hopefully no more unsightly rust like you get with the OEM discs.

BTW I've seen many posts here stating that you need an ODB tool to do the rear brakes but it isn't necessary. Just remove the 2x5mm Allen bolts holding the motor to the caliper then wind back the spindle manually, you can then push back the piston.

For info, discs: p/n DF4754, pads p/n GDB1957 - both sourced from Autodoc.

2017 (67) GTI PP DSG. Tungsten Silver with DCC, Art Velours, Dynaudio, Climate Screen, Tints, Keyless, Rear Camera, Lane Assist, Seville wheels.

Offline Toeman

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13485 on: 25 May 2024, 19:38 »
Coat of hybrid applied today

Offline EB2019

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13486 on: 26 May 2024, 13:16 »
New rear discs and pads fitted. Went with TRW as the hubs and edges of the discs are painted black so hopefully no more unsightly rust like you get with the OEM discs.

BTW I've seen many posts here stating that you need an ODB tool to do the rear brakes but it isn't necessary. Just remove the 2x5mm Allen bolts holding the motor to the caliper then wind back the spindle manually, you can then push back the piston.

For info, discs: p/n DF4754, pads p/n GDB1957 - both sourced from Autodoc.

Nice Karlos, perhaps someone should do a separate DIY thread for that as thats top info for Mk7 owners as the car gets older.  These endless 'what did I do' threads soak up a lot of good info, especially gems like yours, and it can get lost.

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #13487 on: 31 May 2024, 16:45 »
New rear caliper and wheel speed sensor done and back to normal, even the MPG has gone up so brakes must have been binding for weeks.

New problem, driver door will not lock so new catch will be fitted next week. Been randomly clicking for months and the orange door lock light was not coming on.

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #13488 on: 03 June 2024, 16:47 »
Removed and cleaned under rear arch liners, before applying rustproofing spray.
Thankfully not a sign of any rust anywhere.
I now need to find the enthusiasm to do the same thing to the front arches!

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #13489 on: 04 June 2024, 19:03 »
Visiting family so had a three hour drive today, about 50/50 motorway and A roads. Apart from the comfort and smooth drive as normal, I was rather surprised on arrival to have averaged 48.2mpg! The last few miles were a bit more stop/start and hilly so I think it could do 50 on the right day/journey.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.