Author Topic: September 1st pick-up - issues?  (Read 3509 times)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
September 1st pick-up - issues?
« on: 05 August 2013, 09:19 »
Is Sept 1st pick-up possible this year as it falls on a Sunday? Can the dealerships pre-tax cars so that they are legal for a Sunday pick-up? Can't tax the car a few days before and lose a months tax for a few days if you want the car registered for Sept 1st can you? That would mean taxing a car that officially isn't registered yet?

Or can pre-registeration take place on the Fri/Sat that becomes active on the Sunday? I know that the dealerships get advance notice of their allocation of numberplates and some people get to pick theirs from a list (never happened to me, I have always just got what I am given). Just wondered if anyone knows for sure what happens when new plate day falls on a Sunday.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: September 1st pick-up - issues?
« Reply #1 on: 05 August 2013, 09:25 »
Didnt the new car tax system change where you cant do it at a post office anymore. It comes direct from DVLA so you can drive away without a disc from the garage and its then sent to you?
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 05 August 2013, 09:30 »
Didnt the new car tax system change where you cant do it at a post office anymore. It comes direct from DVLA so you can drive away without a disc from the garage and its then sent to you?

For registration of the car also? Do all the legwork with the DVLA the day before so registration becomes active on the Sunday? Or do DVLA work Sundays? I'm sure there's a way to do it rather than make everyone wait until Sept 2nd for their 63 plate cars, but just asking for reassurance (there is a slim chance i'll be able to get mine on Sept 1st) in case someone knows for sure what the procedure is.
« Last Edit: 05 August 2013, 09:37 by monkeyhanger »

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 05 August 2013, 10:10 »

Yeah this is what happens now. It's very strange driving off without a tax disc but mine arrived about 4-5 days later so not too bad. The good thing was that the dealership didn't fit their own tax disc holder so i could put my own one on.

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #4 on: 05 August 2013, 10:20 »
Yeah this is what happens now. It's very strange driving off without a tax disc but mine arrived about 4-5 days later so not too bad. The good thing was that the dealership didn't fit their own tax disc holder so i could put my own one on.

Yup, it's all changed now:

Since 17 July 2013, when you renew your vehicle tax or when your new car is taxed for the first time, you now have up to 14 days to display the new tax disc on the vehicle. Under the old rules, you had just 5 days to do this.

For renewals, this extended period will only apply when your application to renew your tax disc is made before the previous one expires. If the application is made after the current disc expires, then the vehicle will be treated as untaxed and the 14 day rule will not apply.

I'll be transferring my Monza Red Richbrook tax disc holder and taking off whatever plastic crap, if any, they attach!
Pure White Mk7 GTI (5dr, Manual)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 05 August 2013, 10:22 »

Yup, it's all changed now:

Since 17 July 2013, when you renew your vehicle tax or when your new car is taxed for the first time, you now have up to 14 days to display the new tax disc on the vehicle. Under the old rules, you had just 5 days to do this.

For renewals, this extended period will only apply when your application to renew your tax disc is made before the previous one expires. If the application is made after the current disc expires, then the vehicle will be treated as untaxed and the 14 day rule will not apply.

I'll be transferring my Monza Red Richbrook tax disc holder and taking off whatever plastic crap, if any, they attach!

Exactly! Bought a nice shiny Richbrook GTI one. Looks the business

physio

« Reply #6 on: 05 August 2013, 10:55 »
A couple of years ago when I had  VW scheme cars from work ,  when I picked a new car up say on the
3 rd week  of the month the tax disc would say 12 months and 7 days  so they didn't lose 3 weeks money
Don't know if this is still possible

Offline domrees

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 05 August 2013, 11:08 »
They will register car for 1st september and get a +1week tax disc so you wont lose out on RFL.

All very straight forward and nothing to worry about.
3dr Manual in Pure White with PP, Dynaudio, Nav and Keyless. Oh and a service pack.

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #8 on: 05 August 2013, 11:20 »
Exactly! Bought a nice shiny Richbrook GTI one. Looks the business

Yeah I think I saw one of those, from eBay?  Not sure it's an "official" GTI engraving - not seeing it on their site, but looks great.  I went for red to add a bit of extra color to the interior, and go with the red calipers and trim around the grille.  I may need some extra sticky pads though...unless I can find my spares! :grin:  I draw the line at slapping anything else on the car though, some very tacky crap you can embellish your car with!
Pure White Mk7 GTI (5dr, Manual)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 05 August 2013, 11:30 »
They will register car for 1st september and get a +1week tax disc so you wont lose out on RFL.

All very straight forward and nothing to worry about.

Not bothered about losing a month on a £20/yr tax disc, I just didn't think you could tax a car before it was registered and didn't think you could pre-register a car on Sat 31st Aug for official Sept 1st registration. DVLA working a Sunday would make that assumption redundant, maybe they do work a Sunday if March 1st/Sept 1st fall on a Sunday.