Author Topic: DRL's  (Read 3076 times)

Offline drisser

• I live here
DRL's
« on: 02 August 2013, 11:17 »
What is everyones view on the Gti DRL's ?

personally I think they are sensible and conservative which I like, others might have wanted something more fnacy ? 

Audi seem to have started a ridiculous trend to make ever more elaborate and stupid looking DRL's on all their cars.  I think the guy who first did them on the R8 must have got a promotion and then lost the plot...

I saw an even more stupid set the other day on a Merc E class I think, like someone had got their sinpriation from a looped piece of spaghetti up down and round the corner.

Personally I am thankful VW didnt go down the Xmas tree route with their DRL's..
Daily drive - LCI BMW 330 D Estoril Blue & Saddle leather. M sport + Pack / Prof Nav / Head Up / Heated Seats
On the way - CS ed 40 tornado red, manual, 3 door
Weekend fun - low mileage portofino blue 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo
2017 Build Slot reserved for BMW M2

Offline drisser

• I live here
Re: DRL's
« Reply #1 on: 02 August 2013, 11:19 »
ps sorry my spelling / typing is shocking today  :lipsrsealed:
Daily drive - LCI BMW 330 D Estoril Blue & Saddle leather. M sport + Pack / Prof Nav / Head Up / Heated Seats

Offline AAddict

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 02 August 2013, 11:21 »

personally I think they are sensible and conservative which I like, others might have wanted something more fnacy ? 

Audi seem to have started a ridiculous trend to make ever more elaborate and stupid looking DRL's on all their cars.  I think the guy who first did them on the R8 must have got a promotion and then lost the plot...

I saw an even more stupid set the other day on a Merc E class I think, like someone had got their sinpriation from a looped piece of spaghetti up down and round the corner.

Personally I am thankful VW didnt go down the Xmas tree route with their DRL's..

I think the GTI light clusters and DRL's are pretty much the best looking lights on the market at the moment, front and rear.
Cancelled GTI, M135i beast mode.

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 02 August 2013, 11:26 »
Have to say I really like them. They make the car stand out from the crowd. I did like the ones on the TT though, I thought they were superb when they first appeared

Any excuse to post a pic  :grin:

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
« Reply #4 on: 02 August 2013, 11:37 »
I feel like there should be a gallery on-line which has images of each kind of DRL so you can admire/laugh at them all.

Personally I think Audi has gone a bit overboard, but the ones I tend to dislike the most are the French cars, probably Citroen mainly, where they seem to just throw them on thinking that having them is a bonus and no regards to aesthetically pleasing shapes or positioning is necessary.  Often they use them in a line that doesn't match the lines of the car's body leaving an effect similar to a colour clash.

Offline JohnP

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 02 August 2013, 11:38 »

I think the GTI light clusters and DRL's are pretty much the best looking lights on the market at the moment, front and rear.

Totally agree with this. The DRLs on so many cars look like cheap bling!!

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 02 August 2013, 11:39 »
I really like the new Audi ones.  Also the new Seat Leon FR ones.  Not a fan of the Golf Ed35 'fairy' lights - too fairy for me.

The GTI's ones though are my favourite - effective, understated yet with an aggresive-ish tone.
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
« Reply #7 on: 02 August 2013, 11:44 »
New Corvette Stingray has pretty awesome ones :drool: :drool: :drool:

Notice how like the GTI they've made a big effort to diffuse the light so you get a uniform bar rather than a string of individual bulbs.

Offline drisser

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 02 August 2013, 11:48 »
now that is nice !

Love the 4 exhausts.. having a tilt at the Ferrari 458 with "only" 3  !!

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #9 on: 02 August 2013, 11:49 »
A guy near me has an Ed35, and those fairy lights look awful.  I really like the DRLs on the Mk7 GTI/D, but even more so the rear clusters.  For me, the rear lights are probably the best looking on the market at the moment.
Pure White Mk7 GTI (5dr, Manual)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep