Author Topic: cutting out - again!!!!  (Read 3274 times)

Offline rowlers

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,829
  • I'm back - MK7 GTI
cutting out - again!!!!
« on: 10 August 2005, 16:34 »
Heres a run down:

When car gets really hot when approaching a junction, changing down gears, the revs plummet really quickly when clutch is pushed in - ONLY DOES IT WHEN IT IS REALLY HOT!!

New Thermostat fitted, new hall sender fitted, plugs, leads, cap and rotor arm fitted.

idle and CO adjusted?

Any ideas?

Its as if something which controls the drop in revs whent he clutch is depressed fails when if gets hot? Is there a sensor or switch that controls the drop in revs whn the clutch is pressed???

Any help appreciated as always!!

Judderi

  • Guest
Re: cutting out - again!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 10 August 2005, 16:35 »
Just a guess but maybe its the throttle switch.

Offline Mr Blue

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 6,133
Re: cutting out - again!!!!
« Reply #2 on: 10 August 2005, 16:42 »
hows the timing?
:)

Offline rowlers

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,829
  • I'm back - MK7 GTI
Re: cutting out - again!!!!
« Reply #3 on: 10 August 2005, 21:16 »
as far as I know the timing should be OK, it was done when the hall sender was fitted about 2 months ago.

What does the throttle switch do and where is it?


Cheers

Offline mjamoose

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 129
  • I'm off a hunting! (for a head gasket)
Re: cutting out - again!!!!
« Reply #4 on: 11 August 2005, 00:26 »
This may seem strange but try changing the coolant mix   :shocked:.  The reason I say this is I had to run the car on plain water for a while, when the engine got hot, which it did. The revs dropped to about 600. On a few occasions it dropped even further.  Since putting a 50/50 mix in it now idles at about 950.
Try it if u have time.
WARNING DRUMMER ON THE LOOSE :evil:

Judderi

  • Guest
Re: cutting out - again!!!!
« Reply #5 on: 11 August 2005, 09:46 »
The throttle switch is belive it or not on the throttle!  :grin: It tells your motor when the throttle is fully closed and tells your engine to idle. To test to see if its working open the throttle by hand and press the little round switch you can see. If the revs drop then its working ok. Or un plug it to see if there is any difference.


Its the black bit.

Offline GTIrl

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 104
Re: cutting out - again!!!!
« Reply #6 on: 11 August 2005, 13:15 »
that happened to me once when i ran the tank too low on the red line. when i put in the clutch the car just died, as if the isv wasnt catching the revs.. dont know what this means and probably isnt any help atall.. i'll shut up now :lipsrsealed:

Offline rowlers

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,829
  • I'm back - MK7 GTI
Re: cutting out - again!!!!
« Reply #7 on: 11 August 2005, 18:14 »
thanks for the info, I'll have a go at changing the water to antifreeze ratio when I get change.
In terms of the throttle switch would this mean it is breaking down under heat?

The isv does catch it sometimes, but the majority of the time it can't cos the revs to drop too low too quickly.

Could the CO have any bearing on this? I tempted to borrow a CO meter from someone and check it myself, cos you can only taker the word of the mechanic that it is set at 2% eh!!

Ta

Offline monzablue16v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,537
Re: cutting out - again!!!!
« Reply #8 on: 11 August 2005, 18:45 »
Yup mine did that amongst other things tried everything inc new ISV and waarm up regulators cold start valves etc. Get it Rolling Road tuned at a proper garage dude. Fixed all my little funny problems they drop out a bit over 17 odd years ;)

Probably got lost in the "Great Crash of 08

Offline rowlers

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,829
  • I'm back - MK7 GTI
Re: cutting out - again!!!!
« Reply #9 on: 11 August 2005, 19:44 »
finding a rolling road around west cumbria is like trying to find rocking horse sh!t!! Then I'd need to find someone who knows VWs!! Not an easy task!

Can the CO drift off during time? Cos it felt spot on when it was first done - even in hot weather!


Cheers