Author Topic: ABS and ESP lights on constantly -TDI anni  (Read 3425 times)

Offline recci

• Not said much yet
ABS and ESP lights on constantly -TDI anni
« on: 07 April 2013, 20:53 »
The ABS and ESP lights have been on constantly for a couple of months, Had my car into a small local garage (not a VW specalist) for a service, the guy got a diagnostic done and it came out as the front driver side wheel sensor or something so he replaced that but the lights have not gone out. The guy claims that the vw guy who came out to do the diagnostic said that lights have to be put out by the machine and thats why they are still on, Is this right? or is it more likley that something else is the true cause of the problem? I loath paying £30 for a diagnostic test and £30 for a sensor then it does'nt even find the problem.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
Re: ABS and ESP lights on constantly -TDI anni
« Reply #1 on: 07 April 2013, 21:01 »
it might be the wiring to the sensor rather than the sensor itself

Did they give you a fault code and description?

Offline recci

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 07 April 2013, 21:04 »
They checked the wiring and said that was ok but never gave me the fault code. Does the vag-com machine need to clear a code once the fault has been fixed? Im trying to figure out if this guy is talking sh!te or not.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #3 on: 07 April 2013, 21:06 »
Can't remember off the top of my head; I think the ABS system is self checking so in theory it should clear  :undecided:

Whereabouts are you?  Might be worth seeing if someone local to you has VAGCOM and will scan it for you in exchange for beer tokens :afro:

Offline recci

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 07 April 2013, 21:08 »
Im in falkirk scotland. Im worried in case its the dreaded ABS pump failure, if is then Ill be getting rid of the car. Iv had a lot of problems with this car and IM starting to think they are sh!te TBH.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #5 on: 07 April 2013, 21:13 »
ABS pumps were common on the MK5 and not the MK4; not heard of many failing on the MK4  :undecided:

Offline recci

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 07 April 2013, 21:17 »
Thank god for that  :grin: Its needing a new DMF so thats gonna cost could'nt handel the abs pump on top lol

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #7 on: 07 April 2013, 21:22 »
Thank god for that  :grin: Its needing a new DMF so thats gonna cost could'nt handel the abs pump on top lol

What's the mileage on the car?

Watch out for chocolate cams  :lipsrsealed: :whistle:

Offline Hoggy

• Here all the time
  • Mk4 GT TDI 150.
« Reply #8 on: 07 April 2013, 21:32 »
I would imagine that the codes will need cleared to be honest..should be part of the price fitting the sensor really.

Offline recci

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 07 April 2013, 22:15 »

What's the mileage on the car?

Watch out for chocolate cams  :lipsrsealed: :whistle:

The cam has already went a long time ago with the previous owner, was replaced at half cost by vw, unless they can go again I dont have to worry? 138k miles just now went about 70k.