Author Topic: Uneven rear tyre wear  (Read 6273 times)

Offline mkviken

• I live here
Re: Uneven rear tyre wear
« Reply #20 on: 20 December 2012, 17:00 »
so just to clarify they didnt touch the tacking/alignment at all when they changed the tyres?

thats very strange that after new tyres the car isnt tracking straight without adjustments being made to the alignment.

does the car pull left or right or is it literally just the wheel isnt straight?

these have a steering angle sensor which can need resetting if the steering alignment is far out
Golf GTI Clubsport S #237 Tornado red
Golf GTI 7.5 230 white silver

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 20 December 2012, 17:20 »
No, it simply had the rear tyres changed, nothing else.

The car doesn't pull one way or another, it's just that the steering wheel is slightly towards the left when driving straight. I haven't hit any kerbs or pot holes, so can't have knocked anything out of line.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #22 on: 02 January 2013, 10:39 »
It's in at the dealers today, so let's see what it's like when I pick it up this afternoon. In the mean time, I'm driving round in their DSG Bettle, which has a cracking DAB/Fender stereo.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline scotland67

• Not said much yet
« Reply #23 on: 02 January 2013, 13:55 »
So that is what the droning noise is. I thought it was wheel bearings but my Golf GTI has only done 18000 miles. New tyres on rear done about 4000 miles, front tyres 18000, 14000 miles on the rear.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #24 on: 02 January 2013, 18:17 »
Well, it's like a different car now. When I got out of it and into the Bettle this morning, I was surprised at how much better the new car felt. Having driven the Bettle for about 150 miles today, I got back in my Golf and felt very reassured that apart from the slightly firmer ride, it felt very similar to the Bettle. Tyre noise has all but gone and the feel of the steering is vastly improved. 

It cost £100 + VAT, plus the two rear tyres that were worn anyway, so money well spent I reckon.

Offline Raffe

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 02 January 2013, 19:01 »
What was the cause out of interest, alignment?

Sounds a good outcome though  :cool:
2016 Golf R | 3dr | DSG | Reflex Silver | 19" Pretoria Alloys | 90% Tints | Nav | Winter Pack | App Connect

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #26 on: 03 January 2013, 08:18 »
What was the cause out of interest, alignment?

They tried to tell me it was from hitting kerbs, speed bumps and potholes at speed. I know that's not been the case in the two years we've had it, but who knows how it was driven by the previous owner. It did have a poorly refurbished wheel that I have replaced with a new one, so it probably has been up the kerb at some point.