Author Topic: Uneven rear tyre wear  (Read 6275 times)

Offline Big_Dave

• GTI forum regular
Re: Uneven rear tyre wear
« Reply #10 on: 04 December 2012, 01:11 »
But once the tyres are worn, surely swapping them onto the front will just move the noise to there?

Snoopy in his post has pretty much said what I was going to say. However, putting the 50p worn tyres on the front won't necessarily put the drone up front as the setup on the front is different...not to mention better sound insulation up front, wheels further from the cabin etc.

Some tyres are more prone to droning though, Bridgestone's from my research being the worst.
Carbon Grey Edition 35, DSG, ACC, Cruise Control, Luxury Pack, RCD 510, TPMS

Offline mike.

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 04 December 2012, 11:25 »
If you switch the wheels from side to side it will reduce the noise until they go the other way, by this stage the tyres will probably need replaced anyway.

I did this with the Dunlops and it did seem to work, no problems as long as they are Asymmetric.
Mk6 GTI 3dr | DSG | Tornado Red | 18" Monza 2 | LED Xenons | RNS510 | Bluetooth | Smoked LED tails | Cruise | Reversing Camera | TPMS | - now sold :(

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 04 December 2012, 12:17 »
My Dunlops are Sport Maxx's which are directional, so can't do that.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline mkviken

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 04 December 2012, 15:26 »
if you swap them on to the front from time to time then surely they will wear the tyre correctly again as the fronts are doing all the work and wearing much quicker. i definitely havent got this issue on my car so im sure it works.
Golf GTI Clubsport S #237 Tornado red
Golf GTI 7.5 230 white silver

Offline Edi35

• Here all the time
« Reply #14 on: 04 December 2012, 16:35 »
if you swap them on to the front from time to time then surely they will wear the tyre correctly again as the fronts are doing all the work and wearing much quicker. i definitely havent got this issue on my car so im sure it works.

I get mine swapped front to rear when it is serviced so I would agree that this approach does appear to work as I haven't experienced this issue either.
Current: GTI Edition 35 Candy White 5dr DSG 19" Glendale, RCD510+DAB, Dynaudio, Storage Pack, Parking Sensors

Gone: Edition 35, GTI Mk6, Edition 30, GTI Mk4, GTI Mk3, GTI Mk2 and my favourite the UR quattro
For those that dont know DSG is an electronically controlled dual-clutch multiple-shaft manual gearbox

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #15 on: 04 December 2012, 18:32 »
Think mine had about 3k on when it started to do it. So didn't work for me. :grin:
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline mkviken

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 04 December 2012, 18:54 »
maybe the dunlops are more prone to it? or maybe your alignment was way out from new?
Golf GTI Clubsport S #237 Tornado red
Golf GTI 7.5 230 white silver

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 05 December 2012, 18:40 »
Had this problem on my Astra coupe.  Changed from dunlops to continentals on the advice of the tyre fitter as the block pattern on the inner edge was different and did not suffer the problem again. Inner edge tyre tread design seems to play  a part with some designs more tolerant to alignment problems.

Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 12 December 2012, 17:38 »
New rear Dunlops went on today and it's as quiet as a new car once again.

Before you shoot me down, I had got a pair of as good as new Dunlops on the front, so wanted them all to match. My Golf does so few miles, it would take for ever to wear the fronts down to be able to replace them to match a different tyre that I could have fitted to the rear.

It's going into the dealer for a full geometry check very soon, so hopefully they can square it up (if it's out) and if I swap the tyres around from time to time, all should be good until I need all four tyres replacing.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 20 December 2012, 14:45 »
Further to my last post, I drove the car for the first time since driving home from having the new rear tyres fitted, which was in the dark. In the daylight today, on the way to the MOT test, I noticed that the steering wheel wasn't straight.

Could it be that the geometry had previously been set on uneven tyres and now that new tyres are fitted, it's showing up incorrectly aligned rear suspension? Looking underneath the car today, the rear is adjustable for both camber and toe. I understand that it is the wrong toe settings that cause the tyre wear, so if is toeing unevenly on each side, that would cause crabbing, hence the crooked steering wheel. Any other thoughts?

It's booked in at the dealers for a geometry check and brake fluid on the 2nd Jan and most probably won't be driven until then. I'd like to be armed with some information as to what to ask/tell them when I take it in.