Author Topic: Mk3 VR6 - The d!ck bonnet vr - broke my sump virginity  (Read 10834 times)

Offline Seanl

• I live here
Re: Mk3 VR6 - The d!ck bonnet vr
« Reply #30 on: 24 July 2012, 21:32 »
Bloody hell! Least its all sorted now though bud.  :cool:
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |

Offline leigh_harty

• I live here
  • Audi AGU
« Reply #31 on: 24 July 2012, 21:38 »
Bloody hell! Least its all sorted now though bud.  :cool:

Oh it gets worse before it gets better  :shocked:
Dont lose your dinosaur!

Offline leigh_harty

• I live here
  • Audi AGU
« Reply #32 on: 29 July 2012, 21:33 »
Some more updating....  :smiley:

After i rebuilt the head more than i wanted too  :grin: it was back on the road, drove better than before... but it still smoked  :cry:

Drove around like this for about 2weeks until i started to lose my mid range, and pretty quickly too, a compression test soon soon comfirmed my suspicions - i should have done this to begin with but hey ho you live and learn.

Soooooooo time to strip again and this time alittle deeper

After i had everything apart, gave the bores a rough down, new rings into place i was ready to re-install... Soon learnt that a standard ring compressor wont work with the vr, the block face is angled different from the bored (hence the V) and broke a ring.... managed to get 2 pistons in by finger  :shocked: and was painfully tedius and hurt alot, soon broke more this way.

Gave up in a mood and literally threw everything in the boot in an anger rage, was in a garage sunday so had to be towed home. And it stood for a fortnight engine emptied and looking sorry for itself  :cry:
Dont lose your dinosaur!

Offline leigh_harty

• I live here
  • Audi AGU
« Reply #33 on: 29 July 2012, 21:42 »
Sadly i also learnt that each piston and cap have to be matched perfectly  :grin: :grin:

In the fortnight it was abandonned i got a set of Mahle rings from germany £60 cheaper than i got some from the UK

This is when i purchased every set of bottom end bearings - crank and rod, oil pump and pick up and other bits and bobs

Got a vr ring compressor of a mate at Awesome

Got some Mr Muscle on the pistons and and spent some good hours on them

After working out which cap goes with which piston (choose wrong and crank would lock up when tightened)

Thankfully runs like a dream - over 200k but a near enough rebuilt engine and i can say i did it. Engine will outlast the car so it will either be in a mk2 or i really want a vento vr so who knows... but for now i just continue to kick its head in  :grin:

Dont lose your dinosaur!

Offline leigh_harty

• I live here
  • Audi AGU
« Reply #34 on: 29 July 2012, 21:50 »
Since then its been buffed by myself

colour coded joey headlights (thanks to mr wherry for this one  :grin: :kiss:)

Drove home from inters with a sausage on my car

Got my drooping scorpion box lifted by getting a custom mid box delete  :evil: all i have now is a backbox haha

from this:

to this:
Dont lose your dinosaur!

Offline leigh_harty

• I live here
  • Audi AGU
« Reply #35 on: 29 July 2012, 22:02 »
In the last couple of weeks ive had to ditch the vr splitter because its just too close to the floor, broke 2 genuines and dont get me started on the fakes, so im currently running a passat duckbill which has given me the clearence i need - sits higher than a cl splitter!! and i can still scrape it on a daily basis  :grin: no pics of this yet, lost all my pics of my iphone and have a galaxy s3 now

And a set of these caught my eye down in the clasified's and roughly 10miles from mine down a dual carriage way so was easy to pick up  :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

and that brings me to today... after having the bonnet key'd im thinking of buying a spray gun and oing matt red/burgundy
Dont lose your dinosaur!

Offline F17BAD

• Forum addict
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
« Reply #36 on: 29 July 2012, 23:19 »
really like this car and the decent updates (not just crap like "look at my new sticker" etc :laugh:)

Not no ordinary GTI....

House classics and Techno mixes:
https://soundcloud.com/bradkells
www.mixcloud.com/kells/

Offline leigh_harty

• I live here
  • Audi AGU
« Reply #37 on: 30 July 2012, 09:11 »
really like this car and the decent updates (not just crap like "look at my new sticker" etc :laugh:)

Thank you   :smiley:

I dont do stickers fortunately, also there is nothing left to fix: and it will never scrub up like yours  :cool:

I think it's paint time next, chuck some rims on and play with the engine :evil:
Dont lose your dinosaur!

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #38 on: 30 July 2012, 09:18 »

Have to mirror this... Great work, especially love the sausage!  :grin:

Offline VR6_Wherry

• Forum addict
« Reply #39 on: 30 July 2012, 09:35 »
Love this thread, take out the good bits (Engine build) and it looks just like mine! :grin:

Lights (Front and rear), wheels, backbox.. it all seems familiar! :grin: :kiss: