Author Topic: problem after fitting k03s  (Read 2078 times)

Offline GTIcheeseman

• Here all the time
problem after fitting k03s
« on: 09 July 2012, 10:26 »
right fitted my k03s done all the things i need to do followed the guides and others but it does seem to be buning oil and coolant i have no leaks apart from a very small drop from the sump bolt. but its not big enough to lose that much oil. anyone got any ideas no codes or any thing

Offline JimBR

• I live here
Re: problem after fitting k03s
« Reply #1 on: 09 July 2012, 13:13 »
Did you use new washers on the oil and coolant lines? Everything tight?

I know its the obvious but...

Offline GTIcheeseman

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 09 July 2012, 13:15 »
Yup all new and all tight

Offline JimBR

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 09 July 2012, 13:42 »
The oil level will drop id imagine as oil will be pulled through a previously empty turbo? No idea on the coolant...

Offline DunnDeal12

• Limited
  • I live here
« Reply #4 on: 09 July 2012, 13:52 »
The oil level will drop id imagine as oil will be pulled through a previously empty turbo? No idea on the coolant...

you should prime the oil lines and turbo so no oil will be pulled through.

id just say check all oil and coolant pipes again for any obvious leaks.

Offline JimBR

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 09 July 2012, 14:24 »
Still some left to be pulled through though surely.

I cant see it being anything other than them not being tight enough tbh. Or the seals are shot in the new turbo..

Offline Chris#101

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 09 July 2012, 14:34 »
If its 'Burning oil' like you said Ie smoking blue from the exhaust your seals in the actual turbine have gone. The banjo washers leaking wont cause burning of the oil just leak.

For arguements sake just top both oil and coolant up to level and go for a drive and then check them again!?

2003 1.8T: R-tech Live Cutom Stage 2 remap: N249 Bypass : Forge T.I.P : Forge 007p  : Forge Actuator, yellow spring : Toyosports F.M.I.C : Toyosports C.A.I :                                                                   PCV simplified - oil catch can : 42' Draft 3" turbo back non res exhaust system : Devils own W.M.I : 231bhp & 258lbs-ft

Offline littco

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 09 July 2012, 17:40 »
Burning oil and coolant.. Out the exhaust or around the manifold?

Like said, if it's out the exhaust the it could be a seal on the turbo. From experience, white smoke out the exhaust is compressor side oil leak and black/blue smoke is from the turbine. Coolant can only really leak into the engine from a HG issue. If the joints on the turbo are leaking try tightening them 1/4 turn.

If there's smoke coming from around the turbo / manifold it could just be sweat, crap, oil or coolant that's got onto the housings. Even handling the turbo to fit it gets oil from your hands on it that can caue it to smoke on startup. Run it for 10 minutes and if it's still smoking then I'd just you have a leak.( I don't mean go for a pee either :'0 )

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #8 on: 09 July 2012, 18:05 »
I panicked after fitting mine as there was an almighty blue cloud from the engine bay, turns out it was just my dirty hands all over everything and it just burnt off

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline GTIcheeseman

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 10 July 2012, 09:57 »
i know i said burning oil and it probabaly wasnt the best choice of words

theres no smoke just oil and coolant levels keep going down and there isnt any leaks at all anywhere part from a very small drip from the sump plug but its minimal