Author Topic: Changing 8v downpipe.  (Read 2738 times)

Offline stainesy

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,442
  • im not a master debater but i'm a cunning linguist
Changing 8v downpipe.
« on: 18 June 2012, 21:20 »
Ok have decided to replace my downpipe as its blowing.
I'm going to do it from under the car to save messing about removing inlet manifold.
How many bolts bolt it to manifold? Are they a bugger to undo and are they known for strapping?
Also is there any gaskets or fire rings between them?

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: Changing 8v downpipe.
« Reply #1 on: 18 June 2012, 21:28 »
Going to be a lot easier on a ramp or over a pit, you will struggle to get the downpipe removed with it on axle stands.

Offline stainesy

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,442
  • im not a master debater but i'm a cunning linguist
Re: Changing 8v downpipe.
« Reply #2 on: 18 June 2012, 21:30 »
i dont have access to any of them  :cry:

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: Changing 8v downpipe.
« Reply #3 on: 18 June 2012, 21:32 »
i dont have access to any of them  :cry:


Trust me, you will struggle to get the downpipe out, as it needs to be as high as possible.

Offline Dannyboi30

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 257
  • Golf GTI Turboversary
Re: Changing 8v downpipe.
« Reply #4 on: 18 June 2012, 21:38 »
i do exhausts all day every day lol and u will really need a ramp :(
« Last Edit: 18 June 2012, 21:42 by Dannyboi30 »

Offline stainesy

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,442
  • im not a master debater but i'm a cunning linguist
Re: Changing 8v downpipe.
« Reply #5 on: 18 June 2012, 21:44 »
i do exhausts all day every day lol and u will really need a ramp :(

hhhhmmmm you are only in stevenage aint you. what would you charge to change this for me?

VW BUSH

  • Guest
Re: Changing 8v downpipe.
« Reply #6 on: 18 June 2012, 22:20 »
found it a lot easier over the years to loosen the rack off and move it out of the way, that said it is still a bugger.
Make sure you soak all the bolts with a good paraffin spray like plus gas WD or the like, worth soaking the manifold bolts as well (just in case).
Can be done on stands that's how I've always done it, but be prepared to lose some skin :grin:
Get some bolts and your gaskets from VW, not expensive and ECP have always sold me the wrong ones :grin:
Suggest you look at the exploded diagram on vagcat for assembly and part numbers :wink:

Offline stainesy

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,442
  • im not a master debater but i'm a cunning linguist
Re: Changing 8v downpipe.
« Reply #7 on: 19 June 2012, 17:19 »
Just been having a wad through the Haynes manual and think I will have a go at taking the inlet manifold off to do it. Will clean my throttle body and replace gaskets wile I'm at it. Do I have to go to VW to get throttle body and manifold gaskets or can I just get them from any car parts shop?

VW BUSH

  • Guest
Re: Changing 8v downpipe.
« Reply #8 on: 19 June 2012, 22:02 »
Just been having a wad through the Haynes manual and think I will have a go at taking the inlet manifold off to do it. Will clean my throttle body and replace gaskets wile I'm at it. Do I have to go to VW to get throttle body and manifold gaskets or can I just get them from any car parts shop?
Gaskets are cheap at VW and they fit first time, but you can get them from ECP/GSF.
Suggest some studs/nuts as well and hope you can get the broken bits out :wink: :lipsrsealed:

Offline stainesy

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,442
  • im not a master debater but i'm a cunning linguist
Re: Changing 8v downpipe.
« Reply #9 on: 19 June 2012, 22:05 »
Ok sweet I have a little blow touch so will put some heat on them after a good soak in WD40 when undo them. Are the ones on the inlet manifold known to break aswell?