GolfGTI
Forum Charity
Merchandise Shop
GolfGTIforum.co.uk
Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
GolfGTIforum.co.uk
»
Model specific boards
»
Golf mk3
(Moderator:
hardmonkeys
) »
is water ok as coolant for summer driving???
« previous
next »
Print
Pages: [
1
]
Author
Topic: is water ok as coolant for summer driving??? (Read 1921 times)
Jasikasisback
I live here
Posts: 782
is water ok as coolant for summer driving???
«
on:
15 June 2012, 23:43 »
how's about it folks...would like to know what you think...just wondering if i can get away with just h20 over the summer...
Logged
itavaltalainen
I live here
Posts: 2,693
VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
Re: is water ok as coolant for summer driving???
«
Reply #1 on:
15 June 2012, 23:55 »
No it is not. Coolant is not only antifreeze, it also increases boiling point and has anti corrosion additives.
Running on poor water is a BAD idea, use at least 1/3 coolant concentrate! Coolant is really not that expensive......
Logged
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles
Bandit127
Here all the time
Posts: 443
Re: is water ok as coolant for summer driving???
«
Reply #2 on:
16 June 2012, 03:24 »
Took me ages to work out why my old mini used to eat water pumps. It was because I ran it on water during the summer - and anti freeze lubricates the bearing.
Having learned my lesson the hard way my cars have had a 50% mix all year round since.
«
Last Edit: 16 June 2012, 11:57 by Bandit127
»
Logged
search
I live here
Posts: 898
Re: is water ok as coolant for summer driving???
«
Reply #3 on:
16 June 2012, 09:51 »
should only ever use water if its life or death lol. aka broke down to get you to somewhere.
Logged
Golf mk3 1.4 (sold)
Golf mk2 1.3 (sold)
Golf mk3 1.6
CJA321
I live here
Posts: 684
Re: is water ok as coolant for summer driving???
«
Reply #4 on:
16 June 2012, 09:56 »
You can get Tesco value AF im sure....... That makes zero sence, ur causing urself even more hastle for the winter when you have to change it
Logged
MK3 GTI 20vt project
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=230628.0
Jasikasisback
I live here
Posts: 782
Re: is water ok as coolant for summer driving???
«
Reply #5 on:
16 June 2012, 11:02 »
I thought that only g12 type of coolant was reccomended. Didn't know tesco made compatible coolant.
Logged
itavaltalainen
I live here
Posts: 2,693
VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
Re: is water ok as coolant for summer driving???
«
Reply #6 on:
16 June 2012, 11:22 »
5L of G12++ compatible coolant only cost 15-20£ so just put in a 50/50 mixture - will save you trouble of changing again in winter.
If that's too much money then get a bike
Logged
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles
leigh_harty
I live here
Posts: 1,462
Audi AGU
Re: is water ok as coolant for summer driving???
«
Reply #7 on:
16 June 2012, 13:06 »
Plus water will leave the insides rusty
Logged
Dont lose your dinosaur!
Jasikasisback
I live here
Posts: 782
Re: is water ok as coolant for summer driving???
«
Reply #8 on:
16 June 2012, 18:38 »
So this g12 is better than standard ethylene glycol? What makes it better?
Logged
itavaltalainen
I live here
Posts: 2,693
VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
Re: is water ok as coolant for summer driving???
«
Reply #9 on:
16 June 2012, 18:46 »
G12++ (G12 is obsolete and has been for a while already - as it is not compatible with G11!) is also ethyl glycol based but has more anti corrosion additives (like sodium benzoate, sodium nitrite etc) that prevent rust and chalk which allows for 5 year drain intervals rather than 2 years. Due to the increased amount of those additional additives it's also less corrosive to aluminium (the stuff your cylinder head is made of).
Logged
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles
Print
Pages: [
1
]
« previous
next »
GolfGTIforum.co.uk
»
Model specific boards
»
Golf mk3
(Moderator:
hardmonkeys
) »
is water ok as coolant for summer driving???