Author Topic: Gearbox oil type question  (Read 3385 times)

Offline javalin

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,457
Gearbox oil type question
« on: 11 June 2012, 13:40 »
All,

Can somebody confirm that VW oil G 060 726 A2 is the right stuff for a 97 AGG with the std manual 8v gearbox.



Oh and is it a 2.4 litre gearbox?  (i.e. I need 3 x 1 litre bottles?)

James
« Last Edit: 11 June 2012, 13:52 by javalin »
You only ever need two tools in life. If it moves and it shouldn't use Duct Tape. If it does not move and it should, use WD40.

Offline itavaltalainen

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,693
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
Re: Gearbox oil type question
« Reply #1 on: 11 June 2012, 17:54 »
Castrol guide says 75w90 and 1.9liters for a mk3 2.0 manual
VW to my knowledge have only one oil for all manual boxes, so that should be the right one.

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/iframe.do?categoryId=9033468&contentId=7061486
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline javalin

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,457
Re: Gearbox oil type question
« Reply #2 on: 11 June 2012, 17:55 »
ok - the parts guy said they had several types.  Will check Haynes too.

ta
You only ever need two tools in life. If it moves and it shouldn't use Duct Tape. If it does not move and it should, use WD40.

Offline itavaltalainen

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,693
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
Re: Gearbox oil type question
« Reply #3 on: 11 June 2012, 18:02 »
Haynes will tell you that you need G50 75w90 oil from VW 1.9l for 020 and 02K gear boxes (or 2.2l for 02A - but these were only used for diesels and the 2.0 16v). I thought they replaced G50 with G60 oil but could be wrong?

Alternatively just go and get 2l of 75w90 GL-4 spec oil, most likely cheaper than VW pharmacy prices.
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline mrsaunders

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 575
Re: Gearbox oil type question
« Reply #4 on: 11 June 2012, 18:08 »
gearbox oil from vw near me is suprisingly cheap for there branding on it