Author Topic: Head Gasket ???  (Read 4011 times)

Offline GTIANNIVERSARY16V

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 149
Re: Head Gasket ???
« Reply #10 on: 10 June 2012, 11:35 »
Hows the car going Deano???

Offline Deano2711

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,874
  • 1992 VR6
Re: Head Gasket ???
« Reply #11 on: 10 June 2012, 14:23 »
 :sad: :sad:  Turned the engine on and let it build upto running temp then went off for a drive. Came back to no overheating and no water loss. The top hose is slightly hard though. I realise there should be some pressure in the system but can anyone confirm how there top hose feels when they park up. I can squeeze the hose but not as soft as just water. The top and bottom hose are warm and the the fans kick in as they should. The temp guage will not go over halfway even when sitting in traffic. Do I have a problem or am I being over cautious.

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: Head Gasket ???
« Reply #12 on: 10 June 2012, 15:05 »
Does not sound good with the hose being hard.

Offline Deano2711

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,874
  • 1992 VR6
Re: Head Gasket ???
« Reply #13 on: 10 June 2012, 16:14 »
It isn't rock hard Mate just firm. Is there not pressure there anyway when you turn off the engine until the water settles. I am literally getting out of the car and going straight to the pipe. I can squeeze the pipe which is hot and its not as hard as it was yesterday.

Gavv8

  • Guest
Re: Head Gasket ???
« Reply #14 on: 10 June 2012, 16:17 »
I hate to say it but could still be the beginning of H/G failure, always better to plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Offline Bandit127

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 443
Re: Head Gasket ???
« Reply #15 on: 10 June 2012, 16:30 »
Yes there should be pressure. About 10 psi I think.

(The purpose is to raise the boiling point of the water above 100°. At 10 psi water will boil at 115°.)

As stated earlier in this thread - a compression test and coolant analysis will give you a definite answer.

Edit - just found this post which seems to make a lot of sense to me.
http://www.tyresmoke.net/forum/vw-technical/42606-vw-golf-coolant-4.html#post489272
« Last Edit: 10 June 2012, 16:34 by Bandit127 »

Offline GTIANNIVERSARY16V

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 149
Re: Head Gasket ???
« Reply #16 on: 10 June 2012, 21:58 »
Let me know if you want me to drive up and compare pipes, bottles etc

Gavv8

  • Guest
Re: Head Gasket ???
« Reply #17 on: 10 June 2012, 22:00 »
Let me know if you want me to drive up and compare pipes, bottles etc
Is it just me who thinks that sounds wrong... :grin:

Offline GTIANNIVERSARY16V

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 149
Re: Head Gasket ???
« Reply #18 on: 10 June 2012, 22:01 »
Lol if i said pipes and crevices xD