Author Topic: Under steer on the vr6...  (Read 5965 times)

Offline Outlawsaffa1982

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 104
Re: Under steer on the vr6...
« Reply #10 on: 05 June 2012, 02:44 »
All logical arguments and I think I try a few of the suggestions, see how it gets on...  Many thanks guys!

Offline tweed

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 5,377
Re: Under steer on the vr6...
« Reply #11 on: 05 June 2012, 09:00 »
Dry settings are stiff and wet settings are very soft.


Adjustable dampening suspension will help

Untitled by tweedub, on Flickr

Offline Khare

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,626
  • The bear that khares
Re: Under steer on the vr6...
« Reply #12 on: 05 June 2012, 09:41 »
I don't see how a heavier engine will cause under steer... I mean more weight equals more contact with the road... Surely????? The tires are Perelli P6000, they are about 6 months old. I haven't made any other mods to the front end as yet. 

Working on that logic I guess we should all go and fill out inner wings and engine bays with cement? :huh: :laugh:

I think it's the Jom's that are the problem... Either the ride is to stiff this not allowing the tires to grip the road correctly. I have never had this before with a VW, but in the dry she sticks like s@it to a blanket! I think its time for the coilovers to come off and a good set of lowering springs to go on! 

My guess would be that it is almost certainly the tyres, I ran Pirelli P6000's on my Mk3 and wasn't impressed with them, the wet grip was appalling. I swapped to Uniroyal Rainsports and they were excellent. Have a look at the reviews here:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Pirelli/P6000.htm

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Uniroyal/Rainsport-2.htm

Try Toyo tr1. I had p6000 in my mk2 and I had horrible understeer as well, really had rubber. I used rainsport2s for a while at front and didn't feel confident chucking the car in. I've now gone back to tr1 and I'm much more confident in the bends. The rainsport2s have very soft sidewalls.

Offline tweed

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 5,377
Re: Under steer on the vr6...
« Reply #13 on: 05 June 2012, 13:33 »
I really like the t1r's got Yokohama parada spec 2's on the vr6 and once warm they are very good too. They are about the same but the t1r is softer and didn't last long. So hoppefully the spec 2's are worth the extra cash

Untitled by tweedub, on Flickr

VW BUSH

  • Guest
Re: Under steer on the vr6...
« Reply #14 on: 05 June 2012, 14:22 »
as the others said, hard dry/soft wet.
Works for suspension settings too, if you set up for wet and thrash it in the dry you will have more body roll and scrub out the tyres in no time, set up for dry and you will have under steer in the wet.
To be able to have your cake and eat it is going to cost a small fortune.......and make it horrible to drive on a daily basis
How Track/Daily is this car?

I'm really feeling my Bridgestone Re11's atm, except in the wet :grin:

Offline Outlawsaffa1982

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 104
Re: Under steer on the vr6...
« Reply #15 on: 05 June 2012, 14:59 »
She is my daily drive. Hasnt been on the track yet, I wanna make sure she is 100's before I do so, don't really wanna end up in the kitty litter, or worse...

Offline Khare

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,626
  • The bear that khares
Re: Under steer on the vr6...
« Reply #16 on: 05 June 2012, 17:32 »
I found the TR1 to wear really well to be honest, even though it's soft rubber.

Offline Bellend

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,718
Re: Under steer on the vr6...
« Reply #17 on: 05 June 2012, 22:57 »
If you haven't had your camber done this can help.

Had mine all set up perfect and handles well. Mum took it over a curb in the snow and it's all sh!te now! :laugh:

Where all my moneys went.

Golf MK3 1.6. Golf MK3 8v GTI.

Offline Outlawsaffa1982

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 104
Re: Under steer on the vr6...
« Reply #18 on: 06 June 2012, 20:42 »
Update on the VR... Gonna start off with the simple things first before I start throwing money a her, well... More money :)

Anyway, checked the tyre pressure yesterday, 28 psi, I have enflated them to 35psi all round, just to see if there is any noticeable difference in handling... And hell yes there is!! The car is slightly more stable at lower speeds, but once you go over 80/90 she becomes bouncy in the front end. So I think I'm gonna lower the tyre pressure to 30 psi in the front and see if that changes anything?

As far as the coil overs go... £170 I think, down the swanny! Cheap ass sh!t!

Offline Khare

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,626
  • The bear that khares
Re: Under steer on the vr6...
« Reply #19 on: 06 June 2012, 21:02 »
Try 34psi front and 30psi at the back.