Author Topic: Under steer on the vr6...  (Read 5943 times)

Offline Outlawsaffa1982

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 104
Under steer on the vr6...
« on: 04 June 2012, 05:29 »
Morning all.

So finally I have everything sorted on the vr, steering rack changed and going well (reduced turning circle... But feels good, and won't be a bad thing for track days). But I have noticed that when it rains or the roads are damp, I have really bad under steer and trouble getting the power down... I'm not slamming my foot to the floor, just gentle power delivery! I'm almost 100% sure this is down to the coilovers (jom's...)

So the questions are... Has anyone else experienced this? If so how did you sort it? And if anyone can off any advise it would be most gratuitously received!

Offline Bandit127

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 443
Re: Under steer on the vr6...
« Reply #1 on: 04 June 2012, 06:55 »
I will start with the bleedin' obvious...

Tracking and camber. Just had my 8V done and it has sorted the understeer problem.

Offline Khare

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,626
  • The bear that khares
Re: Under steer on the vr6...
« Reply #2 on: 04 June 2012, 06:56 »
A vr6 will understeer more than any other mk3 due to the weight of the engine. What tyres have you got? What chassis upgrades do you have other than jom coils? (Which wont be great for the track).

Offline Outlawsaffa1982

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 104
Re: Under steer on the vr6...
« Reply #3 on: 04 June 2012, 15:00 »
I don't see how a heavier engine will cause under steer... I mean more weight equals more contact with the road... Surely????? The tires are Perelli P6000, they are about 6 months old. I haven't made any other mods to the front end as yet.

I think it's the Jom's that are the problem... Either the ride is to stiff this not allowing the tires to grip the road correctly. I have never had this before with a VW, but in the dry she sticks like s@it to a blanket! I think its time for the coilovers to come off and a good set of lowering springs to go on! 

Offline tshirt2k

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,323
  • Been there...Done that...
Re: Under steer on the vr6...
« Reply #4 on: 04 June 2012, 15:09 »
You have changed the suspension. Which will change geometry. If you haven't had alignment done this will be the problem. And a Heavier engine will cause understeer.


Mk3 ABF 16VT Megasquirt V3

Tshirt knows........ How to diagnose

Offline Outlawsaffa1982

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 104
Re: Under steer on the vr6...
« Reply #5 on: 04 June 2012, 16:01 »
The alignment has been done! It tracks straight and true!

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: Under steer on the vr6...
« Reply #6 on: 04 June 2012, 21:50 »
I don't see how a heavier engine will cause under steer... I mean more weight equals more contact with the road... Surely????? The tires are Perelli P6000, they are about 6 months old. I haven't made any other mods to the front end as yet.

I think it's the Jom's that are the problem... Either the ride is to stiff this not allowing the tires to grip the road correctly. I have never had this before with a VW, but in the dry she sticks like s@it to a blanket! I think its time for the coilovers to come off and a good set of lowering springs to go on! 

Yes VRs understeer and running cheap coilovers will not be helping.

Offline tweed

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 5,377
Re: Under steer on the vr6...
« Reply #7 on: 04 June 2012, 22:14 »
More weight is good for traction in a straight line. When you want to change direction the wheels will want to turn left or right, but the weight will still want to travel in a straight line. More weight means more understeer.

The vr6 engine is infront of the front wheels. Very bad for handling in any case!

Ride night can help this or ruin it. If your vr6 is pretty low with the front lower, try raiser the front 20mm.

You can try taking the front anti roll bar out. Be surprised what that will do. I would fit a rear anti roll bar if you did. You will find it then wanting to oversteer.

Tyre pressures can change it. Try putting 30 in the front.

Untitled by tweedub, on Flickr

Offline thai-wronghorse

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,325
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
Re: Under steer on the vr6...
« Reply #8 on: 04 June 2012, 22:18 »
VR6 engines not only weigh more the 4 cylinder variants but they also sit further forward in the engine bay which theoretically turns the front end of the car into a pendulum when thrown into the bends.

Offline dom

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 10,083
  • Back in a Mk4
Re: Under steer on the vr6...
« Reply #9 on: 04 June 2012, 22:19 »
I don't see how a heavier engine will cause under steer... I mean more weight equals more contact with the road... Surely????? The tires are Perelli P6000, they are about 6 months old. I haven't made any other mods to the front end as yet. 

Working on that logic I guess we should all go and fill out inner wings and engine bays with cement? :huh: :laugh:

I think it's the Jom's that are the problem... Either the ride is to stiff this not allowing the tires to grip the road correctly. I have never had this before with a VW, but in the dry she sticks like s@it to a blanket! I think its time for the coilovers to come off and a good set of lowering springs to go on! 

My guess would be that it is almost certainly the tyres, I ran Pirelli P6000's on my Mk3 and wasn't impressed with them, the wet grip was appalling. I swapped to Uniroyal Rainsports and they were excellent. Have a look at the reviews here:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Pirelli/P6000.htm

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Uniroyal/Rainsport-2.htm