Author Topic: mk4 brakes  (Read 3238 times)

Offline Dave_IOW

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,677
mk4 brakes
« on: 01 June 2012, 17:13 »
Possibly been answered before..

Mk3 8v front subframe, will mk4 GTI disks, calipers, carriers bolt straight on?
Project: Mk2 20vT trackslag
Daily: Mk2 GTI typ19

Offline Dan_GTi8v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,904
Re: mk4 brakes
« Reply #1 on: 01 June 2012, 17:31 »
if its 5x100 then yes it will all bolt on but you will need custom brake lines made up that are mk3 on 1 end and mk4 on the other. what most do is just use the mk4 carriers and discs but keep the mk3 calipers and fit a spacer. theres a guide in the maintenance section
20vt conversion, sig pic coming soon!

Build thread http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=167291.0

Offline Dan_GTi8v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,904
20vt conversion, sig pic coming soon!

Build thread http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=167291.0

Offline Dave_IOW

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,677
Re: mk4 brakes
« Reply #3 on: 01 June 2012, 17:38 »
Cheers bud, If it makes any difference, it's going on to a mk2..?

It's the mk3 calipers I don't have!
Project: Mk2 20vT trackslag
Daily: Mk2 GTI typ19

Offline Dan_GTi8v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,904
Re: mk4 brakes
« Reply #4 on: 01 June 2012, 17:42 »
I dont know my mk2s but it should be ok if the calipers are the same? you only need the mk3 calipers so you can keep the old brake lines as the mk4 caliper lines are different. Brad had some custom lines made up so he could fit the whole lot maybe ask him where he got them from
20vt conversion, sig pic coming soon!

Build thread http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=167291.0

Offline murraymint

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,022
Re: mk4 brakes
« Reply #5 on: 01 June 2012, 17:48 »
sorry to jump on your thread dave, but whats the minimum size wheel you can run with 312mm brakes?
josh


95 Mk3 golf 1.6 CL, 96 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 89 Mk2 Jetta GL,  97 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 99 bora 2ltr se, 83 mk1 golf 1.1, 15 polo 1.2 tsi

Offline Dan_GTi8v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,904
Re: mk4 brakes
« Reply #6 on: 01 June 2012, 17:56 »
16s :)
20vt conversion, sig pic coming soon!

Build thread http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=167291.0

Offline murraymint

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,022
Re: mk4 brakes
« Reply #7 on: 01 June 2012, 17:57 »
josh


95 Mk3 golf 1.6 CL, 96 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 89 Mk2 Jetta GL,  97 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 99 bora 2ltr se, 83 mk1 golf 1.1, 15 polo 1.2 tsi

Offline Dave_IOW

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,677
Project: Mk2 20vT trackslag
Daily: Mk2 GTI typ19

Offline Dave_IOW

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,677
Re: mk4 brakes
« Reply #9 on: 01 June 2012, 19:42 »
I dont know my mk2s but it should be ok if the calipers are the same? you only need the mk3 calipers so you can keep the old brake lines as the mk4 caliper lines are different. Brad had some custom lines made up so he could fit the whole lot maybe ask him where he got them from

I know i need conversion hoses for the back to fit the mk4 calipers, but thing is, i'm renewing all the brake lines too so maybe I can put mk4 stuff on the end of them and just use mk4 hoses, we will see I guess..
Project: Mk2 20vT trackslag
Daily: Mk2 GTI typ19