Author Topic: is a remap safe  (Read 16314 times)

Offline ynwalfc5

• Just got here
is a remap safe
« on: 30 May 2012, 00:20 »
Hello people! I have just bought my first golf gti its a mk4 turbo 180 bph. I have just swapped it for a my peugeot 306gti6 an am to be honest gutted it dont feel as quick. Was just seeing if for 1 a induction kit makes it sound nicer an puts more power into it an 2 if a ecu remap does any harm to your engine. Thanks Neil

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
Re: is a remap safe
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2012, 00:32 »
stick with a panel filter an a decent map wont hurt it  :smiley: an what year is it

Offline Scott D

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2012, 00:35 »
Providing the remap is from a decent tuner then you should not have any problems, obviously there is the risk of components failing earlier as will be pushing harder but 1.8T tend to take well to a remap although mass air flow sensors and ignition coils are well known for failing even more so after a remap.

induction kit will make a decent sound but probably no difference in performance compared to a stock airbox
2003 1.8T GTI 180 - APR Stage I, S2000 Filter, R-Tech Supersize TIP, Bilstein B12 Suspension, 18" OZ Superleggera, Recaro Heated Leathers, US Spec Rear Lights, N249/SAI/PCV Delete

1.8T AUQ - 241bhp & 286 ft-lb
R-Tech Map, Forge FMIC, SFS Oversized TIP, Ported Manifold, Milltek Turboback non res exhaust, Forge 007p, N249 & N112 delete, SAI delete, S2000 Air Filter, Sachs clutch & Lightweight Flywheel

Offline dan2252

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2012, 01:11 »
stick with standard airbox, and gti6 are gay.. not that much faster if nt the same than a saxo vts  you sure its a 180 bhp you have? also if you go for a k&n filter you will be changing air flow meters every few months. pannel filter, de cat,   good service and good remap and you will be suprized how much faster it will be, you will love it
MK4 golf 1.8 turbo agu :)

Offline Dalo Harkin

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2012, 08:00 »
Personal choice on the airbox / induction kit.

I notice mine pull better with the induction kit at higher speeds (70ish  :grin:)

When I had mine remapped the clutch went in a week, I know it was going anyway and a remap just shows weaknesses earlier.

get it mapped though because its a totally different drive and you will be amazed with the difference
ARZ K03s, Oettinger Side Skirts, R32 front, Carbon stage 2, Forge 007p (yellow spring), Forge Actuator (yellow spring), Pipercross panel filter with DSG parts, N249 and N112 deleted, SAI deleted, Carbon canister deleted, Rear wiper deleted, Long Life turbo back custom exhaust with 200 cell sports cat, VR6/G60 clutch kit, Creation Motorsport TIP, Catch can, 'Wellycooler', K04 charge pipe, S3 ported inlet manifold - looks pretty standard on the outside though :)

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2012, 10:57 »
A remap is the best thing I ever did to mine :afro: makes so much difference.

Offline xxChrisxx

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 30 May 2012, 11:14 »
Surely the first thing to do is make sure it's all working properly.

Offline Ashmond

• I live here
  • Money, b!tches And Boost
« Reply #7 on: 30 May 2012, 13:52 »
Thats what I was going to say make sure there are no boost leaks, if you think you have a 180 and you actually have a 150 then that may be a factor  :grin:
Will always love my mk4 but she had to go...225 Quattro TT in its place....but its still black (she lives on in spirit!)

Offline ynwalfc5

• Just got here
« Reply #8 on: 30 May 2012, 19:44 »
Safe nice one everyone for replying. No i def have the 180bhp! Well so it says on all the paper work and the insurance company says it comes up at a 1.8t 180. So i hope so mate. An to the bloke that says gti6s are gay you might get a little surprise if you race 1. I hav both at the moment standing in my drive and i can say without any doubt the gti6 is alot more responsive in every gear. To be fair they might be similar 0-60 (but i stil think the gti6 is stil quicker unfortunately) but above 60 i def think the gti6 is alot quicker. I do hav a scorpion exhaust and a k&n on the pug and my golf is standard but i honestly thought the golf would be quicker with 13 more bhp. But i wil admit i dont no alot about the technical side of cars at all. Anyway enough of the gti6. I went to sca racing in norwich today one of the biggest tuning shops in norwich from wat i no and they told me to get a superchip first for 399 inc vat and labour cos they say there the most reliable and adds 38bhp and i think he said 50 pound of talk. Any good? Anyone no please? Also he then said get an exhaust and a piper cross induction kit an ill be hitting about 225bhp plus. Anyone no if this is true. cheers again neil 

Offline ynwalfc5

• Just got here
« Reply #9 on: 30 May 2012, 19:47 »
And why does everyone say get a panel filter not an induction kit. do they make the car sound nicer cos i want a bit more noise not to much but a nice growl. Thanks again Neil