Author Topic: Landrover 90- new engine time!  (Read 19312 times)

Offline shepgti

• I live here
Re: Landrover 90
« Reply #50 on: 29 June 2012, 12:50 »
Can't beat new bits!  :cool:

Offline shepgti

• I live here
« Reply #51 on: 30 June 2012, 21:44 »

today saw most of the lights fitted, electrics are getting there too.

changed the bushes in the panhard rod to floflex ones

also fitted the new steering damper. Now need a new track rod end for the drag link and a ball joint for the steering drop arm.

rad removed for the moment, sourcing a new one

looking quite clean in there now

another thing that needs attention is the front right brake caliper which has 1 seized piston

how it'll spend the night.

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #52 on: 30 June 2012, 23:41 »
Gd work mate. Love landys

Offline shepgti

• I live here
« Reply #53 on: 08 July 2012, 06:22 »
Got quite alot done the last couple of days, changed the cambelt, rewired the starter motor as it was duff, changed oil and filters, refitted everything to the front end.

Still got a lot left but its getting there!

Offline shepgti

• I live here
« Reply #54 on: 13 July 2012, 19:08 »
still ploding along, bought some hankook mt's now just need some modulars.

changed the trackrod on the drag link and the ball joint on the steering arm.

front wing preped and primerd just need some paint now!

need a new brake hose as the thread is knackerd also does anyone have any good tips for freeing a stuck piston in my caliper??

Offline Bandit127

• Here all the time
« Reply #55 on: 14 July 2012, 10:26 »
Pump it out using compressed air.

Pump it out using hydraulic pressure from the brake system.

Buy another from the scrappy.

Buy a new one from the stealers.

Offline CJA321

• I live here
« Reply #56 on: 15 July 2012, 00:52 »
still ploding along, bought some hankook mt's now just need some modulars.

changed the trackrod on the drag link and the ball joint on the steering arm.

front wing preped and primerd just need some paint now!

need a new brake hose as the thread is knackerd also does anyone have any good tips for freeing a stuck piston in my caliper??

Got afew tips, what we do at work is get someone to pump it out via the pedal, make sure you have pads in the non seized side obv and hold the non seized piston with water pump pliers so it dosnt pop out.

Pump it out as far as it will go, without it falling out. Get some light grit emery paper, wrap it around it and rub it down + clean it up.

Get some WD, spray it like fook, and get a pry bar and push it in as far as you can get it.

Get the person inside to keep pumping it out, you keep pushing it in, eventually it will free off, in out, bla bla, sure dont need to teach you how to suck eggs  :laugh: :grin:

Trust me, 19oatcake - 2012. It works every time  :smiley:

Seriously want a 90, top work so far!! Dont hesitate to hit me up with couple questions if need be work on them every day  :smiley:

At work were doing a 60 plate puma with high lift kit, diff guard, wide arches, fooking huge wheels, rock crawlers, fancy bumper re-sprayed orange + black like g4 etc etc atm, if your interested i'll upload some pics if you want  :smiley:
« Last Edit: 15 July 2012, 00:54 by CJA321 »

Offline CJA321

• I live here
« Reply #57 on: 15 July 2012, 00:53 »
. Sorry, posted it twice  :embarassed:
« Last Edit: 15 July 2012, 01:05 by CJA321 »

Offline danny_p

• Forum addict
« Reply #58 on: 15 July 2012, 01:19 »
looks like that truck is getting some serious love.  bet it won't take long once you start driveing it for the TD to leave, i allways end up twerking the pump and turbo so there not so painfully slow the old TD dosnet like been tweeked they all seem to go bang  but 200 / 300 tdi's out of discos are cheep and only need minor tweeks to fit and they turn up well and run on veg oil very well  :smiley:

forget the rover V8 tho it sucks we had one 3.9 that used to get low- mid 20's on the mpg department probem is the old V8 will run forever if you keep throwing headgaskets at it but they are actualy about knackerd after about 60K and need a rebuild.

need to find a bellhouseing from a south african  2.8 6cyl bmw powerd 90 and bolt a more intresting bmw 6 to it out of an M5, it pissed over 90's various hot rover v8's  including some running TVR lumps and soposedly top end superfand RPI  motors  ( and better on fuel )   
all the VW's have gone bar 1.

Offline shepgti

• I live here
« Reply #59 on: 15 July 2012, 10:43 »
cheers for the replys guys. Ref the brake caliper i need to wait for a new brake hose before i can hookit up and pump the piston out, i will try and lever it as i feel once its broken the 'seal' it'll be fine as the one next to it was the same but managed to free that one.

do have an issue with the clutch/pedal which i think is the last thing to sort out really, it has a really short travel and doesnt seem to spring back enough? maybe just needs a new clutch?

when i can afford it a tdi lump will be going in for sure :wink: