Author Topic: wiring  (Read 1998 times)

Offline mcgee9t2

• I live here
wiring
« on: 23 May 2012, 22:00 »
anyone got any links to wiring. know how to wire a sub up and all that. wanting too get a decent wiring kit and not sure what all the stuff means, i.e 8awg(i know its 8 american wire guage, but is that good is that bad) from what ive head the lower the number the better? does this mean 8awg is crap or is it still good and something like 50awg crap.

cheers

Offline monty9120

• GTI forum regular
Re: wiring
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2012, 22:20 »
the number means guage. the higher the better.

1) you need a head unit with a rear sub or low level output

2) you then need to run a power cable from the battery. with a inline fuse as near to the battery as possible.

3) you need to run a remote wire to the wire marked on your head unit. this turns the power off to the amp when the stereo or ignition is off

4) you need to run the phono cables from the amp to the rear sub out on the head unit

5) you need to run an earth cable. if you look in the left hand side of the boot. there is a cubby hole for a first aid kit. if you look at the top there is a nut with 2 earth wires already. if you take these out and put the wire at the back to the bare metal.

if you have a seperate sub and amp, you then need a speaker cable from the amp to the sub

good luck

Offline mcgee9t2

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2012, 20:24 »
yeah i know all that. well apart from the first part i thought it was lower the better but wrong way around haa.

is 8awg good or bad?

have a sub and amp in atm, but replacing that this weekend though i need a new wiring kit cause my wires are a bit old and crap now.

Offline monty9120

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2012, 21:14 »
i think the standard vibe or fli cables are 8 guage. so ok for lower powered stuff

Offline mcgee9t2

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2012, 21:29 »
what kind of awg would you recomend...?

Offline monty9120

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 26 May 2012, 03:32 »
what power is the stuff your using. i have used the 8 guage stuff on a 1600 watt vibe blackair with no issues. i dont push stuff to its limit that often though so could be a factor

Offline mcgee9t2

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 26 May 2012, 11:31 »
what power is the stuff your using. i have used the 8 guage stuff on a 1600 watt vibe blackair with no issues. i dont push stuff to its limit that often though so could be a factor
Ah ok, well its slightly less powerd than that so will just stick with the 8guage stuff