OK, girlfriend brought her golf over the other day and complained it wasn't running very well. So took it for a drive up the street and she wasn't wrong. Seemed to be very sluggish and no matter how much I depressed throttle didn't seem to want to respond. Nearly didn't get back, but eventually got home. After that I could only start it from cold and it will run for a minute at no more than 1000 rpm, if I depress the throttle it dies. After the intial minute or so of running like this it dies and then won't start until it has cooled down again.
As it is running from cold, I have assumed electrics are OK otherwise wouldn't start. With it stopping after running for a minute or so, I figured that may be it was a sensor issue. Read a few threads about the Crank Position Sensor, but don't think there is one on this model (its a 1993 1.6 with AEA Single point injection engine). I believe there is an Ignition Pulse sensor (at least I can find one for it at GSF), but not sure where that's located. Anyone know where it is? Does this seem like a likely fault or are there more obvious candidates?
Any help appreciated.