Author Topic: coilover adjustments  (Read 2775 times)

Offline Dan_GTi8v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,904
coilover adjustments
« on: 09 May 2012, 22:32 »
This may be a bit of a noob question but I have zero coilover experience and all the recent threads about them have got me thinking its been a while since I've wasted a load of wonga on my car

I'm already lowered 40mm on wietecs which gives me a spot on ride but I do sometimes wish it was a bit lower, only trouble is I cant practically go any lower and keep it as a daily due to work etc. what exactly is involved in adjusting the ride height? is it a quick job or would it be a pain in the arse adjusting every week or so?
20vt conversion, sig pic coming soon!

Build thread http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=167291.0

Offline Deano2711

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,874
  • 1992 VR6
Re: coilover adjustments
« Reply #1 on: 09 May 2012, 22:35 »
If you keep your coilover threads cleanish and copper greased then they can be adjusted in minutes Mate. Take the wheel off and mine can be adjusted by hand as I have no spanner. I recently did both my rear ones in 15 minutes  :wink:

Offline Len

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,292
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
Re: coilover adjustments
« Reply #2 on: 09 May 2012, 22:37 »
Pain in the arse!


Wheels off/car up in air (on stands)

Count number of winds up or down to make sure you get the car even.
Will take a lot of up and downing until you get what ride height you want.
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline mcgee9t2

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,286
Re: coilover adjustments
« Reply #3 on: 09 May 2012, 22:40 »
yeah not practical to be changing height daily. cold always get stance+ and take out the helper springs, thats what im doing so i can be -120 normally then -90 when i think im going to hit something/need to go over a speed bump  :grin:

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: coilover adjustments
« Reply #4 on: 09 May 2012, 23:52 »
Fit them and set as required, to keep adjusting them is a pain plus you will need camber and tracking checking each time.

Offline Khare

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,626
  • The bear that khares
Re: coilover adjustments
« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2012, 00:35 »
You need hydraulics if you want stance and practicality. I'm afraid with anything other than hydraulics you can't get both, it's either one or the other.

Offline stainesy

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,442
  • im not a master debater but i'm a cunning linguist
Re: coilover adjustments
« Reply #6 on: 10 May 2012, 07:19 »
Yep you want air ride if you plan on going up and down.

Offline Dan_GTi8v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,904
Re: coilover adjustments
« Reply #7 on: 10 May 2012, 11:07 »
f**k it then I'll stick with my fixed kit  :grin:
20vt conversion, sig pic coming soon!

Build thread http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=167291.0

Offline Len

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,292
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
Re: coilover adjustments
« Reply #8 on: 10 May 2012, 12:04 »
If you keep your coilover threads cleanish and copper greased then they can be adjusted in minutes Mate. Take the wheel off and mine can be adjusted by hand as I have no spanner. I recently did both my rear ones in 15 minutes  :wink:

That not safe!

There are two "nuts" for a reason - so they lock together tight!
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline thai-wronghorse

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,325
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
Re: coilover adjustments
« Reply #9 on: 10 May 2012, 13:04 »
I didn't think that sounded right either.