Author Topic: Would I notice a difference?  (Read 10971 times)

Offline DaveHDi

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 56
Would I notice a difference?
« on: 25 April 2012, 21:55 »
Hi guys. Looking to chop my 1.4 in for a GTi. I'm tempted but the 16v but just wondered what the difference between 8v and 16v was. Is the 16v very noticeably quicker than the 8v etc. what do you guys recommend. What would be your personal choice and why?
Thanks
Dave

Offline Dogbot

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 431
Re: Would I notice a difference?
« Reply #1 on: 25 April 2012, 21:57 »
I'm biased
But IMO 16v I where it's at, I drove an 8v an it was thoroughly disappointing even more so than the valver is compared to other cars...

Offline Ess_Three

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,123
Re: Would I notice a difference?
« Reply #2 on: 25 April 2012, 21:57 »
Yes, you would notice a difference.
The 16v is noticably quicker.

Reducing my Golf count by the week....
..but gaining motorcycles.

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: Would I notice a difference?
« Reply #3 on: 25 April 2012, 21:58 »
16v is a very good choice :afro:

Offline Luke1981

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 530
Re: Would I notice a difference?
« Reply #4 on: 25 April 2012, 22:02 »
8v for cheaper running costs is my personal preference tbh!  The price of fuel these days would prob make me go for a tdi if I had an option!  :sad:
MK IV GT TDI 150 PD / MKII CADDY SDI

Offline DaveHDi

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 56
Re: Would I notice a difference?
« Reply #5 on: 25 April 2012, 22:06 »
Thanks guys. That's what I was thinking and you've just confirmed it for me. 16v it is  :smiley:

Offline Dogbot

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 431
Re: Would I notice a difference?
« Reply #6 on: 25 April 2012, 22:07 »
I get 33-35 mpg on a daily commute of A road, an b road blasts, the noise of the valver on cut makes you play more.... I have had 40's if I drive like miss daisy....

Offline vdubman

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 650
  • its not a polo-its a mini golf :-)
Re: Would I notice a difference?
« Reply #7 on: 25 April 2012, 22:26 »
big difference matey,8v gti has bout 115 bhp and the valver bout 150bhp,youl love it  :evil:

Offline DaveHDi

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 56
Re: Would I notice a difference?
« Reply #8 on: 25 April 2012, 22:32 »
Hopefully can shift my current 1.4 ASAP then. 16v it is

Offline murraymint

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,022
Re: Would I notice a difference?
« Reply #9 on: 25 April 2012, 22:33 »
I get 33-35 mpg on a daily commute of A road, an b road blasts, the noise of the valver on cut makes you play more.... I have had 40's if I drive like miss daisy....

+1 to that,have got 42 mpg in mine before. But it's much easier to get 25 mpg  :evil:  :grin:
josh


95 Mk3 golf 1.6 CL, 96 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 89 Mk2 Jetta GL,  97 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 99 bora 2ltr se, 83 mk1 golf 1.1, 15 polo 1.2 tsi