Author Topic: Changing expansion tank  (Read 1996 times)

Offline ryanbrook

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 156
Changing expansion tank
« on: 24 April 2012, 00:44 »
May sound stupid but when changing an expansion tank (because it is dirty as hell, can't even see the coolant in the tank) i drain the coolant out, can i put the drained coolant back in or is that a no no. do i have to buy fresh coolant.

Offline tweed

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 5,377
Re: Changing expansion tank
« Reply #1 on: 24 April 2012, 07:02 »
When was it last changed? If it was changed month or two then yes you can put it back in.

But for the sake of it, just put new in

Untitled by tweedub, on Flickr

Offline Luke1981

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 530
Re: Changing expansion tank
« Reply #2 on: 24 April 2012, 08:14 »
I would also use vw coolant instead of that cheap sh!te from halfrauds!
MK IV GT TDI 150 PD / MKII CADDY SDI

Offline stainesy

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,442
  • im not a master debater but i'm a cunning linguist
Re: Changing expansion tank
« Reply #3 on: 24 April 2012, 08:47 »
I would also use vw coolant instead of that cheap sh!te from halfrauds!

yeah just stick some new in mate.  :wink:

Offline gti gaz

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 592
Re: Changing expansion tank
« Reply #4 on: 24 April 2012, 08:53 »
Just depends on hold old it is for the cost though just put new in





 Any one in cornwall lets sort more meets!!!!

Offline ryanbrook

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 156
Re: Changing expansion tank
« Reply #5 on: 24 April 2012, 11:10 »
i know the stuff is pretty cheap, takes about 6.3 litres the mk3's a think. Was changed in mid December last year.

Offline ryanbrook

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 156
Re: Changing expansion tank
« Reply #6 on: 24 April 2012, 11:13 »
and does anyone know where to buy g12? I've searched quite a bit and can't seem to find it.

Offline javalin

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,457
Re: Changing expansion tank
« Reply #7 on: 24 April 2012, 15:20 »
ask and you shall receive.

http://www.vwspares.co.uk/g3cooling.php
You only ever need two tools in life. If it moves and it shouldn't use Duct Tape. If it does not move and it should, use WD40.

Offline thai-wronghorse

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,325
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
Re: Changing expansion tank
« Reply #8 on: 24 April 2012, 17:15 »
It's not expensive from the main dealers anyway.

Offline harlemex

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,023
Re: Changing expansion tank
« Reply #9 on: 24 April 2012, 18:53 »
its all the same stuff as halfords too.