Author Topic: HELP! Spacers advice  (Read 4955 times)

Offline Leroy

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 483
  • Golf GTI Anniversary 16v
Re: HELP! Spacers advice
« Reply #10 on: 19 April 2012, 21:15 »
Btw I'm talking 70mm front, I.e.35mm each side and 90mm rear so 45mm each side. Is this just crazy talk or achieveable if I get the arches rolled?

Offline Ess_Three

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,123
Re: HELP! Spacers advice
« Reply #11 on: 19 April 2012, 21:17 »
Btw I'm talking 70mm front, I.e.35mm each side and 90mm rear so 45mm each side. Is this just crazy talk or achieveable if I get the arches rolled?

Crazy...it'll look stupid with only 6.5" wide wheels.

Reducing my Golf count by the week....
..but gaining motorcycles.

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: HELP! Spacers advice
« Reply #12 on: 19 April 2012, 21:18 »
Btw I'm talking 70mm front, I.e.35mm each side and 90mm rear so 45mm each side. Is this just crazy talk or achieveable if I get the arches rolled?

As Glen said that will look stupid and I think your wheels will be outside the arches.

Offline Leroy

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 483
  • Golf GTI Anniversary 16v
Re: HELP! Spacers advice
« Reply #13 on: 19 April 2012, 21:53 »
In what way will it look stupid? I don't want the wheels sticking out, but as you can see from the photos, my wheels are tucked in quite a bit. We're only talking small margins between spacing them out by 15mm to 35mm?

I really appreciate your help with this guys.

Offline boneybradley

  • Forum Supporter
  • Serious forum addict
  • *****
  • Posts: 9,482
  • Back in a Mk3...
Re: HELP! Spacers advice
« Reply #14 on: 19 April 2012, 21:57 »
anything over 10mm a side will cause rub issues..... at 15 you'll need to roll the arch and above that you'll need to pull them too (your wheels are/should be an et42, std mk3 uses et43)
Moderator of The Dub-Tug Squad!! (What some call the MK3 section!)



Full range of quality parts for your Volkswagen available at Oemandmore.co.uk

Offline Ess_Three

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,123
Re: HELP! Spacers advice
« Reply #15 on: 19 April 2012, 21:59 »
In what way will it look stupid?

Because you will have a very wide track and skinny wheels. It will look silly.
But it's your car...do as you like.
You seem to have your heart on 35mm spacers.

Quote
I don't want the wheels sticking out, but as you can see from the photos, my wheels are tucked in quite a bit. We're only talking small margins between spacing them out by 15mm to 35mm?

20mm.
The width of the arch lip and more.
Do you want to do serious arch mods, or not?

You've been told what will fit on standard arches and what will not.
35mm spacers and 6.5" wide wheels will look silly...less so if you have 9" wider rear wheels.

If you want to run 35mm spacers, you WILL be doing SERIOUS arch mods. Rolled lips AND pulled arches...and you have to lose to lose the arch trims.

Reducing my Golf count by the week....
..but gaining motorcycles.

Offline Leroy

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 483
  • Golf GTI Anniversary 16v
Re: HELP! Spacers advice
« Reply #16 on: 19 April 2012, 22:11 »
Sorry ess_three, not trying to get your back up, but you go these shows and there's mk3's lined up with these big flush porsche wheels on, but at least I know now how they do it. By trashing their arches.

Again thanks for replying, much obliged.

Offline Dogbot

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 431
Re: HELP! Spacers advice
« Reply #17 on: 19 April 2012, 22:41 »
Arch work done correctly is not trashing arches....

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: HELP! Spacers advice
« Reply #18 on: 19 April 2012, 23:49 »
Arch work done correctly is not trashing arches....

Spot on, it takes skill but arches can be done to a very good standard.

Offline Gash

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,259
Re: HELP! Spacers advice
« Reply #19 on: 21 April 2012, 00:49 »
Porsche wheels have a high et 50 or so I believe so fitting a 9j is fine and does go flush.
with the wheels uou have I wouldn't attempt for going for this look.20mm max spacers you should have.

As for arch work iv just had to make arches for mine as I'm running 8j wheels but with and et of -35 this is the reault so far  before and after










This is 7 hours worth of work and still not finished.