Author Topic: vr6 wont start  (Read 7269 times)

Offline bosco

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 212
vr6 wont start
« on: 16 April 2012, 20:06 »
Well guys

Just bought a 1997 vr6 obd2 that has been lying outside for a while and it wont start. Car cranks alright but wont fire. Was told it might be an immob problem or that I could cut the alarm out but not sure how to do that? Engine was meant to be going into a mk2 but I just want it running so I can move it around.

Anything I should check as its been out in the elements electrical/plugs/dizzy etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated dudes.
1990 mk2 1.6 daily
1990 20v turbo project learning as I go

VW BUSH

  • Guest
Re: vr6 wont start
« Reply #1 on: 16 April 2012, 20:44 »
Coil likes to break down if left standing, check for spark.

Offline bosco

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 212
Re: vr6 wont start
« Reply #2 on: 16 April 2012, 21:07 »
Thanks man how do I do that?
1990 mk2 1.6 daily
1990 20v turbo project learning as I go

Offline bosco

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 212
Re: vr6 wont start
« Reply #3 on: 18 April 2012, 20:14 »
Have spark and fuel now. Car starts but cuts out nearly straight away. Immob problem I take it then. How do I bypass it or cut the loom out please?
1990 mk2 1.6 daily
1990 20v turbo project learning as I go

Offline sharki786

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,705
  • GOT BOOST??
Re: vr6 wont start
« Reply #4 on: 18 April 2012, 21:07 »
the way your saying it seems like your missing the chip inside the key or like you say its the immobliser.
*****MK3 Anniversary*****
*****MK4 GTI T*****

Offline bosco

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 212
Re: vr6 wont start
« Reply #5 on: 24 April 2012, 00:23 »
Did a bit of work on the vr6 today and removed the aftermarket alarm system fitted on it as the car was starting then cutting out with the immobiliser.
Car is still doing it but I can keep the car going if I feather the accelerator and keep the revs up. If I dont it just dies.

Wondering is there any common problems with these and things I should look at that might be causing it? Fuel pump,plugs etc etc.

Plugs are very black. Any way to test if it's bad plugs/leads? 
   
Also when you turn the key to ignition on a message comes up where the mileage is on the clocks saying "ON 02"... Mean anything?
1990 mk2 1.6 daily
1990 20v turbo project learning as I go

Offline FlashRedThree

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 173
  • MK III Flash Red 1.4 SE + MK V DBP 2.0T GTI
Re: vr6 wont start
« Reply #6 on: 24 April 2012, 01:06 »

   
Also when you turn the key to ignition on a message comes up where the mileage is on the clocks saying "ON 02"... Mean anything?

Can't help you with the other bits, but if you actually mean IN 02 is displayed, this is the car indicating it is due a major service. This may or may not be the case depending on whether it was reset the last time one was carried out.

If you wish to reset it yourself, very easy, see here:

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=479.0

Offline bosco

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 212
Re: vr6 wont start
« Reply #7 on: 24 April 2012, 01:27 »

   
Also when you turn the key to ignition on a message comes up where the mileage is on the clocks saying "ON 02"... Mean anything?

Can't help you with the other bits, but if you actually mean IN 02 is displayed, this is the car indicating it is due a major service. This may or may not be the case depending on whether it was reset the last time one was carried out.

If you wish to reset it yourself, very easy, see here:

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=479.0


My bad it was actually IN 02 thanks for the link
1990 mk2 1.6 daily
1990 20v turbo project learning as I go

Offline VR6_Wherry

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,938
Re: vr6 wont start
« Reply #8 on: 24 April 2012, 10:54 »
I know someone who had a smiliar problem, was the crank sensor. Have you had it scanned for codes?

Offline leigh_harty

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,462
  • Audi AGU
Re: vr6 wont start
« Reply #9 on: 24 April 2012, 18:47 »
Are you getting a buzzing noise from your fusebox when cranking over?
Dont lose your dinosaur!